Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

SS Rally vs. SS Turbine... (12M vs. 13M)

Forum for kitesurfers
CaptainArgh
Very Frequent Poster
Style: freeride, surf, slicks, dwindr exploring
Gear: SS RPM 6, SST 8/10 and Rally 12

SS Rally vs. SS Turbine... (12M vs. 13M)

Postby CaptainArgh » Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:30 pm

Has anyone ridden the new 2017 13M Slingshot Turbine and can compare it to the 12M Slingshot Rally (any year)?

Basically, I'm considering replacing my 12M Rally with a 13M Turbine. My next smaller kite will be my 10M SST Wave. (@ 185 lbs.)

Today I fly my 12M from 12mph to 20mph, but anything over 20 mph I put up the 10M. However, if I'm already on the 12M and the wind builds to low 20s, I can still comfortably depower the 12 and hold it down. (And the jumps are huge.)
If I did the same thing with the 13M Turbine I wasn't sure if the kite would be a handful in the low 20s.

Also, some of the feedback seemed to indicate the Turbine has more bar pressure than the Rally. ? I think... it's tough to read into reviews when nobody wants to say anything bad about a new kite. I think the Rally has a good amount of bar feedback as it is, so is the Turbine comparable or noticeably more/less?

I'm hoping to get a little more low end from the Turbine (particularly for snowkiting), maybe increased jumping and turning speed. Was not sure if the Turbine is more or less agile than a similarly sized Rally.

Thanks for any info you can provide. :thumb:

Onthewater860
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Sandy point, napatree, harbor of refuge RI
Style: Free ride
Gear: Slingshot rally 9,12 turbo 17
Placebo 140x43
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: SS Rally vs. SS Turbine... (12M vs. 13M)

Postby Onthewater860 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:43 am

From what I understand after talking to ss on the phone they say the 13 turbine is the same as the 14 rally. Basically down size one to be same from rally. From its shape I'd guess its a little slower turning than rally.
How do you like the sst compared to the rally. I have yet to try one but really want to. I've got a 9 rally I think I'm going to sell to replace with a 10 and then add an 8 to my set up or maybe just keep the 9 and buy a 7. I've got a turbine 17 and love it but it's slow turning on a 20 bar with 20m lines.

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg, 1.78m
Local Beach: West & East Wittering (UK South Coast)
Style: Make it up as I go along
Gear: Bars, Kites
Twintips, Directional

Postby iriejohn » Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:36 am

I currently have 7m, 9m, 12m Rally. I'm thinking of replacing the 9m Rally with a 10m Rally, and the 12m Rally with a 13m Turbine.

I would also get rid of the rarely used 15m Contra (didn't use it at all in 2016) and use the 13m Turbine with the 146x46 Shinn King G as and when.

The 7m, 10m Rally is also a better traveling combo for me.

CaptainArgh
Very Frequent Poster

Postby CaptainArgh » Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:19 pm

Onthewater860 wrote:From what I understand after talking to ss on the phone they say the 13 turbine is the same as the 14 rally. Basically down size one to be same from rally. From its shape I'd guess its a little slower turning than rally.
Ugh. If that is true it mucks up my plan. The 14M Rally is slow and grunty. I know big guys like it for light wind, but I wasn't a fan and traded it for a 12M with the 23" bar which is fantastic at my weight.
Onthewater860 wrote:How do you like the sst compared to the rally. I have yet to try one but really want to. I've got a 9 rally I think I'm going to sell to replace with a 10 and then add an 8 to my set up or maybe just keep the 9 and buy a 7. I've got a turbine 17 and love it but it's slow turning on a 20 bar with 20m lines.
My current setup is 6/8/10/12. I didn't want to go to a 4 kite quiver, but kind of had to in order to get the coverage I wanted. I was getting blown off the water on my old 7. So, I'm 6 RPM, 8/10 SST, 12M Rally. Used to be all Rally.

So here's the thing, I like all 3 of those kite designs and if I worked at the beach and maybe was in the industry, I'd have a different quiver, but as it is I don't get out as much as I want and like to try the different platforms. I like the SST a lot. It doesn't jump the same as the Rally...it's more of an "A" jump where you go up, and come back down from the apex. You don't get that glide you do with the Rally. So, while I miss the jumps, I just love the performance.

The SST platform is rock solid, very efficient, it stays in the air in the lightest lulls with minimal bar input, turns nice, drifts great and very stable in gusts. Overall, I like the way the SST flies better, and if you can jump well on your RPM you can soar on the SST also. You know the deal, the best kiter on the beach is going to be the best kiter no matter what he is flying. I am not the best kiter on the beach so the Rally is easier for me to jump. :) And it probably has a little wider range, but the SST isn't bad. I find it true to size.
iriejohn wrote:I currently have 7m, 9m, 12m Rally. I'm thinking of replacing the 9m Rally with a 10m Rally, and the 12m Rally with a 13m Turbine.
The 7m, 10m Rally is also a better traveling combo for me.
I friend of mine has a two kite 7/10 Rally quiver and seems happy.
For me, I have found that I'm better keeping the small size kites closer together and I can spread apart the larger kites. From several years flying SS kites I like a 2M spread on the small kites. It just works the best. You can go 3M to 4M spread on the large kites.

So, back on topic. Has anyone flown the 13M? Does it really fly like a 14 or is that just hype? Because, my alternative would be to replace my 12m Rallly with an 11m Turbine...and that doesn't right at all... to have an 11M be my big kite. :-?

ripper tom
Medium Poster

Postby ripper tom » Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:39 pm

ripper tom
Medium Poster

Postby ripper tom » Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:23 pm

15,17,19 is the same as last year,
middle bar pressure, fat leading edge, huge lowend, sitting in window > good for unhooked not so good for upwind.
easy water relaunch, wenn you fligh the kite higher in the air 11:00 you can better go upwind !
the 19m turbine is alfucking-lowend-monster haha

13qm and smaler sizes it is a completly new kitedesign and completly a another kite than 15,17,19 !!
these kite working very well with 27m its good for lowend, foiling, big air the bar feeling is directly with 27m no backstalling and more…
rally 12m and smaler dont work with 27m lines 25m lines is the limit for 12m rally

13m turbine and smaler have a very light bar presure.
13m turbine with 27m lines have the same lowend as 14 rally and 15m turbine !! forget 14m rally and 15m turbine.
take 13m turbine with 27m lines you can jumping good by 10-12kn

13m turbine with 23m lines have a same lowend as north juice 15m with 24 m lines.
11m turbine have a same lowend as 12m rally ! wenn you take 23m for both kites rally jumping little bit better,
turbine better hangtime and upwind ! t
take 27m lines on 11m turbine you can jumping higher than 12m rally an more lowend than 12m rally with 23m lines.

13m turbine and smaler is a good lightwind kite, waterrelaunch is very good also reward, working excellent with 27m lines with good bar felling.
not a slow kite ! the leading edge is liitle bit smaler than rally. good for foiling ….
rally is little bit better for loops and unhooked than turbine, turbine is a >>> very good upwind and speed maschine

sorry for my bad english
cheers tom from austria/europe

https://www.facebook.com/SlingshotAustria
https://www.instagram.com/slingshotaustria

CaptainArgh
Very Frequent Poster

Postby CaptainArgh » Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:20 pm

ripper tom wrote: 13qm and smaler sizes it is a completly new kitedesign and completly a another kite than 15,17,19 !!
these kite working very well with 27m its good for lowend, foiling, big air the bar feeling is directly with 27m no backstalling and more…

13m turbine and smaler have a very light bar presure.
13m turbine with 27m lines have the same lowend as 14 rally and 15m turbine !! forget 14m rally and 15m turbine.
take 13m turbine with 27m lines you can jumping good by 10-12kn
This is great into. Thanks, Tom. And what a picture! Would love to have all those stacked up to try them back to back.

So, do you think I could step from a 10M SST to a 13M Turbine?
Again, my thought is to replace my 12M with that 13M.
ripper tom wrote: rally 12m and smaler dont work with 27m lines 25m lines is the limit for 12m rally
I respectfully disagree with you here. I have always flown my 12M Rally on the SS 23"x27M bars and it is fantastic.
It speeds up the kite, gives it more lowend and makes it feel a little more agile overall.
When I travel with kites I usually bring only my 20" bar, and when I fly my 12M on the smaller bar it feels like a pig. A noticeable delay in kite response to bar input.
Thus, I highly recommend the 23x27 on the 12. Specially if it is your big kite. I suspect you are correct on 11M and smaller kites though.

:thumb:

grigorib
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: OBX; Clinton Lake, IL; Lake Michigan; Hood River; La Ventana; Ocean Park, PR; SPI; Tawas, MI
Gear: Kites: Slingshot Rally 5/7/9/11m, Turbine 9/13m, SST 4/5m, UFO 3/5/7/9m, Flysurfer Speed4 10m standard, Flysurfer 2cool 6m, Peter Lynn Venom II ARC 16m

Boards: Spleene RIP 37, Flysurfer Radical6 138, Flysurfer Flydoor5 XL, Slingshot/Moses/RDB 70/90/101cm masts with 1200/860/800/730/600 kitefoil or 2200/1700/1400 wingfoil wings and 310/230/425 stabilizers, Naish MicroChip 80cm, 36" Woody, Slingshot Dwarfcraft Micro 100, MBS Comp 95x

For sale: Slingshot Turbine 9/13m, 20” Guardian bar, 1700 sq.cm wing/fuselage/stabilizer fitting Moses mast

Postby grigorib » Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:59 pm

ripper tom wrote:Image

Very interesting info! I have couple of questions if you might help answering:

1. How would you compare drift and relaunch of Rally vs. Turbine?
2. Why would you pick a Rally given a choice of both Rally and Turbine?
3. Are Turbine colors somewhat organized or we end up dealing with couple of dozens semi-random options like Rally have bee coming in?
4. Do you think there will be 2018 Rally line or 2017 is the last year of them?
5. Does 11m Turbine feel sluggish as 12m Rally or is it more lively kite?
6. How would you compare amount of pull delivered by 13m Turbine vs. 14m Rally?

ripper tom
Medium Poster

Postby ripper tom » Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:10 pm

@captain

yes i living in a dreamland and in winter in powder-home-land thx haha http://surfforum.oase.com/showthread.ph ... ost1289548
hmm no i don`t like rally 12m with 27m it is ok for cruising not for jumping, we jump in austria in a little river with current and we ned a directly bar feeling for jumps.
perhaps yes it is ok for foiling, lowend and cruising not for jumping .

we take for more lowend >>> 2m extension on 23m lines = 25m thats good for 12m rally ! :-)

also good for traveling in japan haha https://vimeo.com/83442953 and extensions 2m in japan on 23m bar > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4jYU1GxGAk
also checking line length > http://surfforum.oase.com/showpost.php? ... ostcount=7

13m turbine and 10m SST it is ok step. 13m working very good with 23m and 27m bar
11m turbine (23m) have same lowend as 12m rally (23m) > 12m rally is jumping on this lines little bit higher than turbine
when you take 11m turbine with 27m lines you have more lowend and more big airs than 12m rally

turbine 9,11,13 working much better with 27m lines than rally, more directly bar feeling no backstalling and more.
i say: 11m & 13m need the 27m lines for this kitedesign, look the photo green 11m turbine photo the kite design is very flat for huge lowend ,
not a c-shape, not a looping kite, not unhooked kite. flying-speed is 1A

7 & 9m loops very fast incl NOT power in loop, 11 & 13m looping in a huge circle.
it is > very very good for foiling and lowend-kiting for starting > first loop > big circle = great power> you came on the board out of water
and good when wind goes down you can looping home.

all turbines 7,9,11,13 have a good depower 13m turbine and 10m SST is ok.
forgot 14m rally and 15 turbine > 13m turbine with 27m line is the new star and have the same lowend, a fast lowendkite with top bar feeling.

i hope for 2018 15,17,19 turbine become the same kiteshape.
sorry for my bad english good night....

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg, 1.78m
Local Beach: West & East Wittering (UK South Coast)
Style: Make it up as I go along
Gear: Bars, Kites
Twintips, Directional

Postby iriejohn » Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:26 pm

13qm and smaler sizes it is a completly new kitedesign and completly a another kite than 15,17,19 !!
So there is in fact a new range of kites which are completely different to the 'old' Turbines but which happen to share the same name.

Thanks for the info.

Return to “Kitesurfing”