Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Limit of height jumping

Forum for kitesurfers
Huib
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Brouwersdam, Ouddorp
Style: Hydrofoil
Gear: Groove Full carbon Wave, Ketos 118cm board, Ketos Foil, BRM Cloud E8+ 6.2 +4.8+3.7+ 2.8+2.2
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Limit of height jumping

Postby Huib » Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:27 pm

LetsFlyaKite wrote:That's because you have a distorted view of reality
Thanks. That is so true.
Nice to meet a man who don't have that problem.

Robsw6
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: Hayling Island
Favorite Beaches: One eye, Sidi Kaouki, Big Bay, Gwithian & Hayling
Style: Powered
Gear: Reedins, Orbit2s & Surfboards (Cabrinha's & Naish), Nomad/TAD Mutants, Flash 4'10 & Naish Pro 4'10, Moses Hydrofoil & North Atmos

Postby Robsw6 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:35 pm

Huib wrote:Hmm. The first times I was very dissapointed when I used the Woo. I really thought my jumps were much higher. :(
Woo told me the truth! :lol:
+1 Then I realised that what I thought was powered, wasn't really powered at all.

Before, when I wanted to go boosting in 40 knots, I would take a 6 or 7m Park, now I know that for boosting, I need a 9m Edge & no surprise I can go higher.

I am still on the same old WOO's and went from struggling on low heights, concentrated more on technique and went higher.

Frank82
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Wijk aan Zee, IJburg, Schellinkhout, Medemblik - Netherlands
Style: freestyle / wakestyle / big air / wave
Gear: Eleveight

Postby Frank82 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:10 pm

Pro's also jump higher now than before because they're all super strong nowadays. Look at guys like Nick, Youri, Aaron from 5+ years ago and look at them now, they are all 10-20kg's heavier and it's all muscle. The stronger you are the larger kite you can handle the bigger you go. Guys like Joshua and Nick are big strong guys who easily weigh 90kg (not fat) and they can handle much bigger kites than the pro's 5+ years ago. Aaron/Ruben always used 7m kites in 40+kn, now they fly 8's and 9's.

As for the pic with the world record, it's just some random pic, ofcourse it's not his 27.5m jump. Take a look at the video he posted a couple of days ago with some 25m jumps, pretty insane gopro footage.

deniska
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Plumb Beach
Favorite Beaches: Cabarete
Gear: FS, Core

Postby deniska » Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:34 pm

LetsFlyaKite wrote: If you want to see how high you're jumping just open up your eyes and look, if you're jumping higher you will know because you are higher off the ground. You don't need a machine to tell you this.
Your eye will often lie to you..
It always feels more dramatic from first person's view than from the ground.
Makes it hard to objectively compare yourself with others.
This is why many people get disappointed seeing their actual woo readings for the first time...

Frank82
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Wijk aan Zee, IJburg, Schellinkhout, Medemblik - Netherlands
Style: freestyle / wakestyle / big air / wave
Gear: Eleveight

Postby Frank82 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:06 pm

deniska wrote:
LetsFlyaKite wrote: If you want to see how high you're jumping just open up your eyes and look, if you're jumping higher you will know because you are higher off the ground. You don't need a machine to tell you this.
Your eye will often lie to you..
It always feels more dramatic from first person's view than from the ground.
Makes it hard to objectively compare yourself with others.
This is why many people get disappointed seeing their actual woo readings for the first time...
My woo score is always pretty close to my estimate, once you've kited a few years you know when you're going high and not.

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:50 pm

I cant tell how high I go. I don't have a woo. Did what I thought was maybe 6m high jumps video evidence measured around 9m. I've been a lot higher than that by feel but who knows? I'm too cheap to spend several hunge on a woo.

ShaveTheWhales
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2040
Local Beach: West Straya Oz
Style: Fun with friends :) and being helpful :)
Gear: Lightwind, 11m Sonic 3, OR Flite, slingshot Dwarf craft foil board, Sab foil
Medium Wind, 12m OR Flite, 8 SouL, TT C6 board, Crazyfly Ltd, Shinn Monk, Wave board
Strong / Gnarly Wind, 8m SouL, 8m XR Core, C6 board
All with custom moded bars
Brand Affiliation: Anything that jumps well & fun to fly. Brand Bitch to none :)

Postby ShaveTheWhales » Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:24 pm

Huib wrote:
ShaveTheWhales wrote:Yep the Woo is Bullshit
They bring out an updated version + a waterproof case (because they die from water - even though water proof)

And Suddenly people are jumping bigger ? Wooo legandary !
Why are you so negative? What is your problem?

People are jumping higher because the Woo is a big stimulatation to jump higher then your friends.
Capetown was the past weeks the place to be for new PR's.
Negative Yes - after spending $300 on a Bullshit Woo 1 device - it dies after bugger all sessions...
My local shop replaced it on warranty and after bugger all more sessions, that died too.

Interesting as I emailed them that I didn't think it was working properly after a huge session in 30-50knots. Did some huge jumps in perfect conditions,from full speed flats into 3m waves on a 7m Screamer - and it only read 12m..
Funny that off flat water, NO waves, ive posted 12.6 meters. That's when you know its bullshit.
Ive also done a half assed 14.6m jump in choppy waves
Their response was that it was working properly.Then it died a few sessions later! Great response and Quality from Woo again.

I had an Xesnr when they first came out - guess what... that died too on the first session!

So yeah that's why Im pissed at forking out money on something they cant even waterproof.
Read up on a lot Woo buyers who had theirs crap out & replaced quite a few times.Just look it up on the net!
That's why Ill post my $300 of Woo slapdowns, until they get it reliable and save someone from wasting their hard earned money !!!

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:34 pm

ShaveTheWhales wrote:
Huib wrote:
ShaveTheWhales wrote:Yep the Woo is Bullshit
They bring out an updated version + a waterproof case (because they die from water - even though water proof)

And Suddenly people are jumping bigger ? Wooo legandary !
Why are you so negative? What is your problem?

People are jumping higher because the Woo is a big stimulatation to jump higher then your friends.
Capetown was the past weeks the place to be for new PR's.
Negative Yes - after spending $300 on a Bullshit Woo 1 device - it dies after bugger all sessions...
My local shop replaced it on warranty and after bugger all more sessions, that died too.

Interesting as I emailed them that I didn't think it was working properly after a huge session in 30-50knots. Did some huge jumps in perfect conditions,from full speed flats into 3m waves on a 7m Screamer - and it only read 12m..
Funny that off flat water, NO waves, ive posted 12.6 meters. That's when you know its bullshit.
Ive also done a half assed 14.6m jump in choppy waves
Their response was that it was working properly.Then it died a few sessions later! Great response and Quality from Woo again.

I had an Xesnr when they first came out - guess what... that died too on the first session!

So yeah that's why Im pissed at forking out money on something they cant even waterproof.
Read up on a lot Woo buyers who had theirs crap out & replaced quite a few times.Just look it up on the net!
That's why Ill post my $300 of Woo slapdowns, until they get it reliable and save someone from wasting their hard earned money !!!
part of the reason I haven't purchased one yet. I see they now do little waterproof cases for them. Anyway. When the technology is robust and the price is down to around $100nzd i'll think about it

ShaveTheWhales
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2040
Local Beach: West Straya Oz
Style: Fun with friends :) and being helpful :)
Gear: Lightwind, 11m Sonic 3, OR Flite, slingshot Dwarf craft foil board, Sab foil
Medium Wind, 12m OR Flite, 8 SouL, TT C6 board, Crazyfly Ltd, Shinn Monk, Wave board
Strong / Gnarly Wind, 8m SouL, 8m XR Core, C6 board
All with custom moded bars
Brand Affiliation: Anything that jumps well & fun to fly. Brand Bitch to none :)

Postby ShaveTheWhales » Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:06 pm

Yes if they can make a product that lasts in the future, maybe version 10...then credit where its due.

Robsw6
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: Hayling Island
Favorite Beaches: One eye, Sidi Kaouki, Big Bay, Gwithian & Hayling
Style: Powered
Gear: Reedins, Orbit2s & Surfboards (Cabrinha's & Naish), Nomad/TAD Mutants, Flash 4'10 & Naish Pro 4'10, Moses Hydrofoil & North Atmos

Postby Robsw6 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:18 pm

Not sure what the issue is on longevity... I have had x3 replaced - my local shop swopped them over as soon they could. Now I know they are fragile, on a high wind boosting session, I run at least x2 WOO's as one will inevitably die.

Both WOOS read with an variance of no more than 10%, which is reasonable.

And I know when I jump over 12m as that feels stupidly high but over 17m gets the adrenaline going properly.

Return to “Kitesurfing”