Style: Aggressive
Gear: Nothing Yet
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Limit of height jumping

Postby LetsFlyaKite » Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:31 pm

deniska wrote:
LetsFlyaKite wrote: If you want to see how high you're jumping just open up your eyes and look, if you're jumping higher you will know because you are higher off the ground. You don't need a machine to tell you this.
Your eye will often lie to you..
It always feels more dramatic from first person's view than from the ground.
Makes it hard to objectively compare yourself with others.
This is why many people get disappointed seeing their actual woo readings for the first time...
My eyes don't lie to me, when I make a small jump I know it's small, I don't walk around the beach afterward like i'm the king of the air, I go and try to jump higher. When I make a medium jump, I know it's medium. Why? Because I can see that's it's medium. I don't tell myself I have made a massive air leap.

I think a major problem with a lot of people is they are so ambitious to go as high as they can, and when they do all that hard work to be the best and to get the highest, they start telling themselves that they've succeeded, they're distorted views and ways of thinking tells them that they've broke a record. When in reality they have been jumping like a normal person on the water.

Or you can buy the woo. You don't trust yourself, so you need a machine to tell you you're jumping high. Well guess what? The woo is wrong too, so you either have to have someone tell you how high you've jumped, or snap out of your fantasy land thinking that you are the king of the air, and start being honest with yourself.

PullStrings
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: LEI's & Surfboards

Postby PullStrings » Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:21 am

I have days with real high jumps off the waves
After one of them when i was de-rigging... a nice lady walking the beach approaches me and says...i enjoyed watching you so much.....you were like 10 feet high

Being so happy i reply ....that's so nice for you to say that..thank you so much...( of course i did not correct her ...it would have ruin the whole mood :D )

Do-it
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: North and Ocean Rodeo

Postby Do-it » Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:37 am

"I can jump 50 ft but I still struggle with backrolls"

grigorib
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: OBX; Clinton Lake, IL; Lake Michigan; Hood River; La Ventana; Ocean Park, PR; SPI; Tawas, MI
Gear: Kites: Slingshot Rally 5/7/9/11m, Turbine 9/13m, SST 4/5m, UFO 3/5/7/9m, Flysurfer Speed4 10m standard, Flysurfer 2cool 6m, Peter Lynn Venom II ARC 16m

Boards: Spleene RIP 37, Flysurfer Radical6 138, Flysurfer Flydoor5 XL, Slingshot/Moses/RDB 70/90/101cm masts with 1200/860/800/730/600 kitefoil or 2200/1700/1400 wingfoil wings and 310/230/425 stabilizers, Naish MicroChip 80cm, 36" Woody, Slingshot Dwarfcraft Micro 100, MBS Comp 95x

For sale: Slingshot Turbine 9/13m, 20” Guardian bar, 1700 sq.cm wing/fuselage/stabilizer fitting Moses mast

Postby grigorib » Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:01 am

LetsFlyaKite wrote:...think a major problem with a lot of people is they are so ambitious to go as high as they can, and when they do all that hard work to be the best and to get the highest, they start telling themselves that they've succeeded, they're distorted views and ways of thinking tells them that they've broke a record. When in reality they have been jumping like a normal person on the water..
Well, you better know that everyone is a special and everyone wins nowadays. There's no need to tell people they're not the best, it's so not nice to them, you hurt their feelings.... (teachers are so good explaining this to kids)

deniska
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Plumb Beach
Favorite Beaches: Cabarete
Gear: FS, Core

Postby deniska » Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:11 pm

LetsFlyaKite wrote: My eyes don't lie to me, when I make a small jump I know it's small, I don't walk around the beach afterward like i'm the king of the air, I go and try to jump higher. When I make a medium jump, I know it's medium. Why? Because I can see that's it's medium. I don't tell myself I have made a massive air leap.
Sure man, you have a perfect built-in altimeter, plus loads of experience, kiting since...2015.
For me, after hundreds of sessions, I am still not that good at height estimates, apparently.
Very often my own perception of height of a big jump does not agree with my woo by 2-4 meters.
Does it matter? Mostly not, but at least a few times I was convinced that I had the biggest jumps of my life only to find out that that they were sort of average per my woo scores..
Just curious, what's your estimate on your high jumps? I mean, you know that you go high, but is it an 8,10,12,15 meters or more? (on average good wind session).. now borrow a woo and see if you were right about your high number...

LetsFlyaKite
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Aggressive
Gear: Nothing Yet

Postby LetsFlyaKite » Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:22 pm

grigorib wrote:
LetsFlyaKite wrote:...think a major problem with a lot of people is they are so ambitious to go as high as they can, and when they do all that hard work to be the best and to get the highest, they start telling themselves that they've succeeded, they're distorted views and ways of thinking tells them that they've broke a record. When in reality they have been jumping like a normal person on the water..
Well, you better know that everyone is a special and everyone wins nowadays. There's no need to tell people they're not the best, it's so not nice to them, you hurt their feelings.... (teachers are so good explaining this to kids)
No I will not tell someone who isn't the best that they are the best, that would be lying. Unless i'm talking to dimitri or aaron hadlow. But I will say to someone who is trying, "You're looking good out there, keep up the good work" And walk away. I will not sugarcoat anything, I always try to keep a nice positive humble attitude whenever I kite. Because although I am a fast learner, I know I have room for a lot of improvement.
deniska wrote:Sure man, you have a perfect built-in altimeter, plus loads of experience, kiting since...2015.
For me, after hundreds of sessions, I am still not that good at height estimates, apparently.
Very often my own perception of height of a big jump does not agree with my woo by 2-4 meters.
Does it matter? Mostly not, but at least a few times I was convinced that I had the biggest jumps of my life only to find out that that they were sort of average per my woo scores..
Just curious, what's your estimate on your high jumps? I mean, you know that you go high, but is it an 8,10,12,15 meters or more? (on average good wind session).. now borrow a woo and see if you were right about your high number...
But is the woo right 100% of the time? Your basing your stats on an unreliable machine :nono:

For me I couldn't care less about who can jump the highest, nor do I care about the height of my own jumps. If I make a huge jump then I know it, I don't need a computer to tell me it's huge. And when you ride mostly in flat water forget it, those guys who try to be the highest are all jumping off of waves and shit.

grigorib
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: OBX; Clinton Lake, IL; Lake Michigan; Hood River; La Ventana; Ocean Park, PR; SPI; Tawas, MI
Gear: Kites: Slingshot Rally 5/7/9/11m, Turbine 9/13m, SST 4/5m, UFO 3/5/7/9m, Flysurfer Speed4 10m standard, Flysurfer 2cool 6m, Peter Lynn Venom II ARC 16m

Boards: Spleene RIP 37, Flysurfer Radical6 138, Flysurfer Flydoor5 XL, Slingshot/Moses/RDB 70/90/101cm masts with 1200/860/800/730/600 kitefoil or 2200/1700/1400 wingfoil wings and 310/230/425 stabilizers, Naish MicroChip 80cm, 36" Woody, Slingshot Dwarfcraft Micro 100, MBS Comp 95x

For sale: Slingshot Turbine 9/13m, 20” Guardian bar, 1700 sq.cm wing/fuselage/stabilizer fitting Moses mast

Postby grigorib » Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:37 pm

LetsFlyaKite wrote:
grigorib wrote: Well, you better know that everyone is a special and everyone wins nowadays. There's no need to tell people they're not the best, it's so not nice to them, you hurt their feelings.... (teachers are so good explaining this to kids)
No I will not tell someone who isn't the best that they are the best, that would be lying. Unless i'm talking to dimitri or aaron hadlow. But I will say to someone who is trying, "You're looking good out there, keep up the good work" And walk away. I will not sugarcoat anything, I always try to keep a nice positive humble attitude whenever I kite. Because although I am a fast learner, I know I have room for a lot of improvement.
Sorry man, I hoped my sarcasm would be obvious :)

lovethepirk
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Almost air tacking on hydrofoil...
Gear: Delta Race Hydrofoil, 15m SS Turbine, 12m Switchblade, 9m Switchblade

Postby lovethepirk » Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:49 am

I like seeing huge air, but I love seeing the butter soft precision landings. My favorites are the peeps on flat water boosting 25ft then landing with an updraft almost.

RickI
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: SE Florida
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby RickI » Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:25 am

The highest jump I have heard about involved a fatal lofting in Portugal. Eye witnesses put the height of the jump which covered 500 m (1640 ft.) horizontally at around 100 m or close to 330 ft.. This was with a traditional C kite, newer kites in theory could go even higher with enough of the wrong type of wind.

poools81
Frequent Poster
Gear: ozone 13m and 9m

Postby poools81 » Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:26 am

how does that happen rick L? storm? updrafts?

Return to “Kitesurfing”