ixster
Rare Poster
Gear: Slingshot
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: GoPro views

Postby ixster » Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:47 pm

Hi guys, I uploaded a gopro mount for twintips on shapeways. It works really well. If anyone is interested:

http://www.shapeways.com/product/5YVL38 ... d=61461346

This kiteboard mount lets you fix your GoPro camera to your kiteboard without glueing. You simply use the screws that hold your fins under your board. I came across this solution because I had the problem that my camera mount that came with my GoPro didn't glue well on my kiteboard with the risk of loosing my camera. Another advantage of this mount is that the camera can be placed on the furthest edge of the board and - because kiteboards have 4 fins - with the option of 4 mounting locations.

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:05 pm

That was how basically how the first gen fin mounts were designed, and they broke. Second gen was basically a cage around the camera that put it on sideways for a portrait shot...

RickI
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: SE Florida
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby RickI » Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:01 pm

It comes down to what you like to shoot. I prefer to shoot my surroundings, seascapes, wrecks, lighthouses, etc.. So my favorite mounts are on my helmet (often get some great perspective shots) and strut mounts on the kite. The first is from a SKORD Mount which aims the camera at the rider allowing for some nice control of framing. The second is from a strut mount camera, using a $25. accessory from Amazon. The third photo is a helmet shot from yesterday morning from a dawn session.
Attachments
15585394_1 0154110630168199_3086523216349164747_o.jpeg
KC wreck.jpg
whistle buoy fb.jpg

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:42 pm

great shots rick you ever think of swapping out that lens for a flat? I did that to one of my cameras

RickI
Very Frequent Poster

Postby RickI » Thu Jan 12, 2017 5:05 pm

Thanks! You mean changing to a plane objective from the wide angle lens to reduce the parabolic distortion and reduce the field of view?
edt wrote:great shots rick you ever think of swapping out that lens for a flat? I did that to one of my cameras

edt
Very Frequent Poster

Postby edt » Thu Jan 12, 2017 5:45 pm

RickI wrote:Thanks! You mean changing to a plane objective from the wide angle lens to reduce the parabolic distortion and reduce the field of view?
edt wrote:great shots rick you ever think of swapping out that lens for a flat? I did that to one of my cameras
Yes. I have used the peau lens just because it's easy to know exactly what you are getting. As far as I know all the gopro lenses are 10mm but you don't want to go above 2.5x magnification or it won't still fit inside the case. Gopro is excellent for close shots and the fish eye wide angle view is great for capturing everything but for landscapes, a flat lens is better. It's easy to replace just pop the front cover, unscrew the old lens put in the new one (make sure to focus it) and you are done.

RickI
Very Frequent Poster

Postby RickI » Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:41 pm

It provides some interesting options. I learned as a kid that in photography to get something you have to give something up. The reduction of the field of view by 40 degrees would be a problem for most of my kiting, diving and skiing shooting. Monopod work too in air come to think of it. If you capture 170 degrees it is hard to screw up your framing too badly, shooting at two frames a second particularly when you move the camera around. I have tried using the reduced field of view through the settings on the GoPros with poor framing resulting for my style of shooting. What do you use your Peau lens for mainly?
edt wrote:
RickI wrote:Thanks! You mean changing to a plane objective from the wide angle lens to reduce the parabolic distortion and reduce the field of view?
Yes. I have used the peau lens just because it's easy to know exactly what you are getting. As far as I know all the gopro lenses are 10mm but you don't want to go above 2.5x magnification or it won't still fit inside the case. Gopro is excellent for close shots and the fish eye wide angle view is great for capturing everything but for landscapes, a flat lens is better. It's easy to replace just pop the front cover, unscrew the old lens put in the new one (make sure to focus it) and you are done.

edt
Very Frequent Poster

Postby edt » Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:30 pm

RickI wrote:It provides some interesting options. I learned as a kid that in photography to get something you have to give something up. The reduction of the field of view by 40 degrees would be a problem for most of my kiting, diving and skiing shooting. Monopod work too in air come to think of it. If you capture 170 degrees it is hard to screw up your framing too badly, shooting at two frames a second particularly when you move the camera around. I have tried using the reduced field of view through the settings on the GoPros with poor framing resulting for my style of shooting. What do you use your Peau lens for mainly?
if you were into photography as a kid you know that you can never have too many lenses :-)

I use my flat lens when I shoot from shore. I throw a buoy out in the water aim the gopro at it and throw tricks from there. Also if I do wildlife shots, they come out awful on the fisheye lens. There are two eagles that nest near a location I refuse to name (because I don't want the DNR on my case kicking me out of kiting there) and I like taking shots of them, but you get nothing on a fish eye lens just too far away has to be the flat lens. Just gives you more options, takes about 5 minutes to screw the lens in and out so you can switch back and forth the only trouble is doing the refocus after a lens change. Peau has 200 or so lenses of all kinds not just flat lenses but other types of fish eye lenses. Pretty easy to start spending more for your lenses than your go pro if you are into it. This by the way is one reason I love the gopro that you can switch in and out lenses. You want to make sure you have the ones that are in the waterproof box that makes it easy to swap lenses. I am not fond of the new trend to all-in-one units where you can't swap in a new lens.

RickI
Very Frequent Poster

Postby RickI » Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:38 pm

It is always good to have more options when shooting. How do they do in low light? The GoPro performance has improved over the years but if the light is too low, it shows. Thanks for the information on your experience with the Peau lens.

edt
Very Frequent Poster

Postby edt » Fri Jan 13, 2017 3:47 am

RickI wrote:It is always good to have more options when shooting. How do they do in low light? The GoPro performance has improved over the years but if the light is too low, it shows. Thanks for the information on your experience with the Peau lens.
Peau doesn't actually make any lenses all they do is source the optics and grade them for you and then resell them. I have tried to find the optics myself online, and at least for me, it's worth it going through peau so I know I get a decent lens because most of the 10mm lenses are made for security cams and are worthless for video, so it's hard to figure out which ones are the good ones. Anyway they don't make the lens so you do pay a little bit more to get them from peau. As for low light you know that some lenses have the IR filter some don't, peau has options for both +IR and without it. It is supposed to make a significant difference in low light conditions but right now I don't have a -IR lens. Get one and let us know how it works.

Return to “Kitesurfing”