Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Ozone 4m uno for a high wind hydrofoiling?

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
fpvSB
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Leadbetter, Santa Barbara
Style: Nasty
Gear: LiquidForce, Zeeko
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Ozone 4m uno for a high wind hydrofoiling?

Postby fpvSB » Thu Jan 26, 2017 7:39 pm

plummet wrote:
nothing2seehere wrote: But what would the water state be like in 30+ knots? would you get enough flat sections between the waves to make it more fun than a regular board?
30 knots around here usually also generates 3m + swell also. So the idea is to ride the waves and ocean swell. I wont lie 30 knots on a hydrofoil in chop and ocean swell is freaken hard. But its made harder by that fact i'm being punished on my 6m with too much kite power. Particularly when running with the swell.

At the moment with my skill level. No 30 knots on the normal board is more fun. But I see the potential, particularly for days when there waves aren't clean and lining up.
Same plummet.. Higher wind I pull out my surfboard and find some waves. Nowhere super close to me that is protected from swell but gets great wind.

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby plummet » Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:58 pm

fpvSB wrote:
plummet wrote:
nothing2seehere wrote: But what would the water state be like in 30+ knots? would you get enough flat sections between the waves to make it more fun than a regular board?
30 knots around here usually also generates 3m + swell also. So the idea is to ride the waves and ocean swell. I wont lie 30 knots on a hydrofoil in chop and ocean swell is freaken hard. But its made harder by that fact i'm being punished on my 6m with too much kite power. Particularly when running with the swell.

At the moment with my skill level. No 30 knots on the normal board is more fun. But I see the potential, particularly for days when there waves aren't clean and lining up.
Same plummet.. Higher wind I pull out my surfboard and find some waves. Nowhere super close to me that is protected from swell but gets great wind.
Yeah but truth be told if i want to ride waves 20 knot i can probably step into a 4m then.

I also get many good days per year of head high plus which I would ride on my mutant. But I don't feel the love for smaller the head high on the traditional board other than boosting.
So...... a new challenge of hf wave riding in higher winds is entertaining me. Damn its freaken difficult! But I will get it. I'm handling the hydrofoil in up to 30 knots and 4m swell for general blasting around. I now need to get that running with the wave in higher winds technique sorted.

Side note. On the hf i can run down wind with the wave then tack straight back up to where i started. No need for long winded tacks back to the line up like the sb/mutant.
So..... when i do crack the wave riding piece on the foil i should be to double my waves per hour. That will increase my grin factor!

tswierkocki
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Style: Hydrofoil, Surf, Freeriding
Gear: 3m, 4m, 5m, 8m Flysurfer Peak 4 kites
7m, 10m Cabrinha Apollo kites
Cloud F28 surf foil
107cm Kanaha pocket board for kite foiling
4’8” Stretch Trow surfboard
133 Axis Vanguard twintip

Postby tswierkocki » Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:00 pm

I've been logging a decent number of hours on my 4m Cloud in 20 to 30 knots on the HF this winter.

The 4m has a great power spike to get you out of the water and up on a plane but is small enough not to be overpowered when up and riding.

I'd say a 4m or smaller is a must have size for windy locations.

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:35 pm

tswierkocki wrote:I've been logging a decent number of hours on my 4m Cloud in 20 to 30 knots on the HF this winter.

The 4m has a great power spike to get you out of the water and up on a plane but is small enough not to be overpowered when up and riding.

I'd say a 4m or smaller is a must have size for windy locations.

What wind speed do you think you need a smaller kite than 4m?

jespin4845
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Worth, FL
Jupiter, FL
Style: Freeride/surf
Gear: kites and boards

Postby jespin4845 » Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:53 pm

my buddy uses the 2.5 uno in the gorge for his highest wind kite, thats a rufus 35-50 knot day

tswierkocki
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Style: Hydrofoil, Surf, Freeriding
Gear: 3m, 4m, 5m, 8m Flysurfer Peak 4 kites
7m, 10m Cabrinha Apollo kites
Cloud F28 surf foil
107cm Kanaha pocket board for kite foiling
4’8” Stretch Trow surfboard
133 Axis Vanguard twintip

Postby tswierkocki » Fri Jan 27, 2017 4:43 am

I have not found the top end of my 4m Cloud but only had it out up to about 30 knots on the HF. Not sure when I would need a smaller kite. But I'm really surprised by the low end of the 4m with the HF.

I can ride my 4m underpowered when my friends are powered on 8m kites.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:10 am

tswierkocki wrote:I have not found the top end of my 4m Cloud but only had it out up to about 30 knots on the HF. Not sure when I would need a smaller kite. But I'm really surprised by the low end of the 4m with the HF.

I can ride my 4m underpowered when my friends are powered on 8m kites.
I would say you need a smaller kite than 4m2 on a hydrofoil, when on a waveboard with a 5m2 :naughty:

The 5m2 is the most used wave ride size here in Cape Town where we are now, so a 4m2 would be too big most days :wink:

Back home I could do fine with a 4m2 on a hydrofoil most windy days not needing anything smaller, but if you don't ride on a waveboard at all you would probably want something smaller than a 4m2 :D

8) PF

Frank Rosin
Very Frequent Poster
Style: wave & hydrofoil
Gear: Moses hydrofoils, Ozone kites, Dynabar sliding hook + a lot of other gear for fun and testing, e.g. Levitaz, Zeeko, AXIS, HB ....
Brand Affiliation: www.famousfrank.com

Postby Frank Rosin » Sun Jan 29, 2017 12:07 am

I have used the 2.5m Uno only one time foiling, a friend of mine is using it more often.
My high wind kite is the 4m Enduro which I like a lot on 14m lines (tried shorter which I do ride on my 6m Enduro sometimes, 12m and 10m lines, but does not really work that well on the 4m).
I think the strongest winds I used it foiling was regular mid fourty gusts with possible peaks close to 50kts.
The difficulty is more the often on/off feeling gusts in than actually being overpowered.
I like the smaller Enduros for foiling, with the 6m being one of my main foil kites overall the last months, possibly the kite I can and do foil with in the biggest wind range overall.

Cheers,
Frank
www.famousfrank.com

Onthewater860
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Sandy point, napatree, harbor of refuge RI
Style: Free ride
Gear: Slingshot rally 9,12 turbo 17
Placebo 140x43

Postby Onthewater860 » Sun Jan 29, 2017 12:51 am

That video had some insane flying. Super impressive. I'm guessing the crazy looping to head down wind to keep lines tight?

mauizoom
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Maui
Favorite Beaches: Maui
Gear: Hawaiian Kiteboards
Hot Kites

Postby mauizoom » Sun Jan 29, 2017 3:52 am

I have a Cabrinha Relaunch 2.5 and a Ozone Uno 2.5, been using them for foiling for the last year and a half.
You will need 25mph wind at first, now I am happy with 20mph, up to close to 50mph worked the other day :)

Small kites make foiling easy :)

Return to “Hydrofoil”