Forum for kitesurfers
edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Re: Serious crash

Postby edt » Thu Feb 16, 2017 5:18 pm

"you go and try to talk to a local surfer in Hawaii and you will more than likely get your ass beat from interrupting their session"

well now we all know where you got your attitude from. What the f--- is wrong in Hawaii? You would think they would be chill sounds like gang war. I am reminded of that rat study where that guy studied overcrowding. At first the rats were peaceful lived in harmony but as the population rose they became more vicious until at the end it was cannibalism and war.

LetsFlyaKite
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Aggressive
Gear: Nothing Yet
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby LetsFlyaKite » Thu Feb 16, 2017 6:06 pm

Tone wrote:I will set my quick release to go off unexpectedly the next time I kite, and I will get back to you with the results. It has happened to me in the past where I did hold on. But thank you for your thoughts
Don't set your shit to go off....

You will hurt yourself.

At some point, it will happen and as you're flying through the air to watery doom you will be thinking "f***, those dicks were right"[/quote]

I appreciate the concern man, but I have decided that I will either A. Hold on for dear life. And if that doesn't work out then B. Bail early and then go tell everyone how right they are.
jeromeL wrote:By the way I often respect and approve of your comments and suggestions, you are just easy to set off when someone disagree with you. It's all good.
Yeah I think I might have an anger management problem. But thanks for the respect.
edt wrote:well now we all know where you got your attitude from. What the f--- is wrong in Hawaii? You would think they would be chill sounds like gang war. I am reminded of that rat study where that guy studied overcrowding. At first the rats were peaceful lived in harmony but as the population rose they became more vicious until at the end it was cannibalism and war.
You know most of the surfers I have met have been complete assholes, especially a lot of the shortboarders. Which I can see where they are coming from. In california just about everyone surfs, and the majority of them are begginer longboarders who don't know proper surf edicate. And if a bunch of tourists where in my local area stealing my waves or hanging out in the middle of a riding area I'd probably be pissed too. There was one guy in North Shore who snaked a local, and he got his ass beat out in the water. And when he got back on the beach, they beat his ass again.

Yeah kiters are way more friendly lol

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Thu Feb 16, 2017 6:21 pm

well all the surfers here in michigan are super friendly you can snake their waves all day no big deal, we will still buy you a beer. Kind of cold tho.

photo above is surfer Dan from the UP

it's not a surfer thing it's about the overcrowding I think. Guys paddle out and catch maybe 1 or 2 waves all day because they are spending all day in line instead of you know actually surfing. that makes them angry as f--- and willing to beat up anyone who crosses them. by contrast kiters have the entire ocean to play in. if you need space just go find it. if you do surf some place where it's not crowded that will mellow you out too.

Bille
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Mohave
Gear: Ozone Edge
Brand Affiliation: Barz Optics
Jaybar Dynabar V7

Postby Bille » Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:43 am

LetsFlyaKite wrote: ...
Now I am willing to offer a peace offering for everyone in here, and forget anything that was ever said or done with a nice fresh clean start. We need to start putting our differences aside and start seeing what we can do to make kiting better. It's like Abraham Lincoln once said, "A house divided against itself cannot stand."

Have a good day
:thumb:

Bille

Trigen
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Trondheim - Norway
Favorite Beaches: Only ever been to Hua Hin. Hoping for Hawaii Brazil and South africa
Style: Powered! Freestyle, Wake, Big air
Gear: Core GTS 4 12m 9m 7m
Core GTS3 17m LW

Wainman Joke 138 Boots
Cf Raptor LTD 132 Straps

Postby Trigen » Sun Feb 26, 2017 6:41 pm

Glad he wasnt worse off than the eardrum, that one could have been bad. I cant really say what happened of course :)

But...
For the gloves, unless you got 5mm non pre curved on its not really an issue, i kite all year even in below 0 conditions with 3mm gloves with 0 fatigue (im about as out of shape as you can be) . Those looks like 3mm to me. Not that it matters that much, its hard to hold on, even sitting in the water with accidental releases.

The Core QR actually scares me, i feel like i cant touch the thing like ever! Its been released 3 times or so by accident by almost nothing. Sometimes you are in the water and really have to push down a little below the bar and touch the QR a bit, it will release very easy. I havent done much unhooked but im worried when putting the loop back too. The only time ive been somewhat happy with it is when my 7m shot up while i was grabbing my board and i got flung into the air. By pure reflex i grabbed the loop and it released. I went down head first in the field but not to high. It could have been much worse. When i get a new bar next time though i dont thing i will get this system.

Daversj
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Sag Harbor
Style: Like it all...
Gear: Ozone, Cabrinha,Naish,North,Corevac surfboard

Postby Daversj » Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:09 pm

That crash looked painful. Thankfully the kite wasnt screaming toward the water, it would have hurt much more. Ask me how i know.....
I have a few Ozone kites which i love, but their donkey dick is limp and to frequently come unhooked. I wish they would fix that.

Most of time when it unhooks i am able grab the the chicken loop quickly, let go of bar and hook in, then regrab the bar without the kite hitting the water. Simple stuff everyone deals with at some point. Unfortunately, i have gotten very good at it. Not sure i could get it done while in the air. lol.

If i were at the apex of the jump i am prety sure i could hold on during a release. A release on the way up would likely result in it being ripped from my hands, and i have a GI JOE Kung Foo Grip. :D Lift off is between 2-4Gs of gravity. If my well practiced grip were to hold a sudden release, my arms would likely come out of the sockets.

Never had a surprise unhooking with a cabrinha chicken loop. They have a very stiff donkey dick.

The Core chicken loop release isnt conventional or intuitive and that is a bad thing. I love how well their swivel works but not a fan of the twisting chicken loop. The detent that prevents spinning of the release isnt very strong. Like was said before, it seems like the purpose of the design was just to be different.

zerogee_ca
Very Frequent Poster

Postby zerogee_ca » Mon Feb 27, 2017 1:04 am

The Core chickenloop has worked flawlessly every time for me. It was not much of a transition from a push away to the twist release too. I do open and close it frequently though to attach /remove it from my rope harness. Never jammed or froze. No accidental releases. Always reseased if needed. Can be reset with mitts on.

I don't ride unhooked though. Bad shoulders. I can see unhooked riders accidentally twisting it open or partially open and not noticing when they grab it to hook back in. Especially with gloves or mitts on.

Also, the plastic cover on the loop shows very little wear from sliding on the rope constantly.

I had other chickenloops fail on me in mid air. I was able to hang on once and on another time there was no way it got ripped out of my hands so hard. Lucky for me I was not that high and over deep water.

Trigen
Rare Poster
Favorite Beaches: Only ever been to Hua Hin. Hoping for Hawaii Brazil and South africa
Core GTS3 17m LW

Wainman Joke 138 Boots
Cf Raptor LTD 132 Straps

Postby Trigen » Sun Mar 05, 2017 12:56 pm

Daversj wrote:That crash looked painful. Thankfully the kite wasnt screaming toward the water, it would have hurt much more. Ask me how i know.....
I have a few Ozone kites which i love, but their donkey dick is limp and to frequently come unhooked. I wish they would fix that.

Most of time when it unhooks i am able grab the the chicken loop quickly, let go of bar and hook in, then regrab the bar without the kite hitting the water. Simple stuff everyone deals with at some point. Unfortunately, i have gotten very good at it. Not sure i could get it done while in the air. lol.

If i were at the apex of the jump i am prety sure i could hold on during a release. A release on the way up would likely result in it being ripped from my hands, and i have a GI JOE Kung Foo Grip. :D Lift off is between 2-4Gs of gravity. If my well practiced grip were to hold a sudden release, my arms would likely come out of the sockets.

Never had a surprise unhooking with a cabrinha chicken loop. They have a very stiff donkey dick.

The Core chicken loop release isnt conventional or intuitive and that is a bad thing. I love how well their swivel works but not a fan of the twisting chicken loop. The detent that prevents spinning of the release isnt very strong. Like was said before, it seems like the purpose of the design was just to be different.
Same for me really, i love their swivel, its fantastic but the twist should be harder, it comes off far to easy now so i hope they can fix that in the future. or preferably go to the push release, that would make me worry free. In any case its quite rare that it does, just always something i have to think about

Trigen
Rare Poster
Core GTS3 17m LW

Wainman Joke 138 Boots
Cf Raptor LTD 132 Straps

Postby Trigen » Sun Mar 05, 2017 12:59 pm

For safety i also use these on my helmet, has saved my ears a few times. http://bernunlimited.com/shop/h20/h2o-e ... rpads.html

Return to “Kitesurfing”