Gong Veloce M, 100cm carbon mast
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Best place to retire in Europe for Old boy board freak

Postby TomW » Wed Feb 15, 2017 8:09 pm

Bri7,

Yes, that is a good idea for scoping out.
I'm OK if it is 10-14 c in winter, I kite in that kinda weather all the time!

cichenlùp
Medium Poster
Gear: Kite: RRD Obsession 12 - 9
Board: Arriba Arriba
Has thanked: 0

Postby cichenlùp » Thu Feb 16, 2017 3:14 pm

I'm OK if it is 10-14 c in winter
In Italy I'd advise you to go to Sardinia (west and southwest sardinia if you're looking for wind and waves, north and south if'you're looking for wind only) or to Sicily (south and west).
If you're looking for a place to live 6-8 months a year, Sardinia could be better
If you're looking for a place to live 365 days a year, you might choose Sicily, warmer and more populated in wintertime
Living in places like Siracusa-Ortigia, Noto, Scicli or Modica and kiting in Santa Maria del Focallo or Pozzallo ... that would probably be the best! :cool2:

Otherwise, in Sardinia, you could live in the area of cities like Sassari, Alghero Oristano or Cagliari, and be few mins from kitespots like La Pelosa or Chia
Other than Italy, I've a real passion for Greek islands, but in wintertime they are really few crowded, may be too much in my opinion. In this case I'd choose to live near Athens, from what I remember in the coast between Rafina and Cape Sounion there should be some kitespots
These users thanked the author cichenlùp for the post:
CaptainKook (Wed Aug 02, 2023 9:58 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

bri7
Medium Poster
Gear: Slingshot
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby bri7 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 4:33 pm

We are going back to Sardinia for the 3rd time this summer, this time to the South. We did the north for 2 years and I kited only Porto Pollo, there are better spots and Tony's guide to Sardinia on here is a great resource.

The island itself I find has a rustic charm and I'm looking forward to seeing the South of the island. We go as a family so twin girls who are 5 my other daughter who is 17 and the wife. If it's windy I'll hire a car and drive to the spot. I like the Italian way with kids, they are super nice with them and I find it's just part of Italian culture. That along with how they eat.... it's amazing, No boozed up Brits getting hammered anywhere.

The views are stunning and the evenings are long sun drenched affairs, Once you get out the main towns it's super laid back. Of course there is the Italian food, wine and now I've discovered Italian craft beer which is great. Nice American style IPA's etc.

We have booked our holidays through www.justsardinia.co.uk/home/ it will give you a feel for the Island. Yes, there are the Billionaire yachts in Porto Cervo but there are a thousand other coves / beaches to explore.

Not sure what its like in the winter, it can;'t be that cold ;-) I'm in the mood for resigning now, spending the kids education money on a van, selling the house and hitting the road !!

sixdivision
Rare Poster
Favorite Beaches: sao miguel do gostoso
Gear: Shinn - North

Postby sixdivision » Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:38 pm

Could someone point me to reliable (first-hand?) information about the kite-conditions on Fuerteventura in winter please, I struggle with contradictory reports...Some say Tenerife (El Medano) is better, some say Fuerte is better...thanks in advance :-)

Slappysan
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Gear: Wave Bandit Performer 4-10

Postby Slappysan » Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:14 pm

Hit up Gunnar Biniasch ( https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnn5Nj ... bWC4uAEyDg ) for info on Fuerte.

I think that the kiting is better at Flag Beach on Fuerte than El Medano but overall I there's a lot more to do on Tenerife and it's still got really good kiting.

sixdivision
Rare Poster
Favorite Beaches: sao miguel do gostoso
Gear: Shinn - North

Postby sixdivision » Sat Feb 18, 2017 1:57 pm

Slappysan wrote:Hit up Gunnar Biniasch ( https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnn5Nj ... bWC4uAEyDg ) for info on Fuerte.

I think that the kiting is better at Flag Beach on Fuerte than El Medano but overall I there's a lot more to do on Tenerife and it's still got really good kiting.

Thanks for that, just contacted him and he shared some useful info, basically in winter it's hit or miss on Fuerte, which translates to 50% of the days kite-able on TT/freeride. If you foil then it's 80%. Kitesize used by Gunnar is 10 or 15 for freeride, but he mentions he likes to be overpowered, so he uses the 15 from 18-25 knots, and 10 above that. Good enough for me :-)
Mostly Flag Beach works, but sometimes he moves to different location.

Does anyone have similarly detailed info on El Medano?

CaptainKook
Medium Poster
Style: Freeride, Surf
Gear: 7, 9, 12

Postby CaptainKook » Wed Aug 02, 2023 10:11 pm

TomW wrote:
Sat Oct 31, 2015 7:07 pm
OK, at the risk of being blasted here, but hoping for some feedback thats useful.

I´m approaching the time when i need to start thinking about where i can retire in Europe. Ive been living in Sweden for 30+ years and grew up in LA, so i cant see myself living all year in Sweden when i stop working. I have to stay in Europe due to health insurance costs and cost of living.

My wife ( swedish) and i are active, she´s into running, cycling ( road and MTB), hiking, walking, swimming, skiing. I´m kitesurfing, SUP surfing and paddling, cycling ( road and MTB), hiking ( to keep wife happy), snowboarding, skateboarding in bowls and ramps here in my swedish town.

What I am looking for is good spot to be at during winter ( november to april) that has some wind, surf, cycling and decent weather+ some real community life. We have visited:
Peniche area in Portugal : but its empty of people and too cold in winter
Almunecar area in Spain: poor wind and waves and too mountainous for cycling, but great weather.
Tarfia: a bit desolate and dead in winter.

Now i have my eyes on Lagos in Portugal- nice beaches, estuary, and not far from surf on west coast. area seems good for cycling too. have not visited there yet.

anyone that can share knowledge ?
TomW did you decide on a kite retirement location? Have you checked any more potential retirement locations out? Any new insights for us.

Return to “Kitesurfing”