Moses HF 2017

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
Starsky
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Re: Moses HF 2017

Postby Starsky » Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:59 am

My first day wasn't pretty either. Totally gobsmacked that I had failed completely despite being what I considered rather advanced with traditional boards: 1/2hr. Day two was able to surface ride: 3/4 hr. Day three was kangaroo: 1 hr. Day four was steady flight 1hr. Plenty of crashing after that, but It all happened pretty quick. I can see how a super short mast would have made session 1 into session 2. A med mast would have made session 2 into session 3, and in the end it would have saved me about an hour and a half on the learning curve. I can also see how your mileage may vary. I bet its all a bit less intimidating with shorter masts, and granted, that could make or break your experience, but for anyone ready to persevere, its simply not a necessary step.

Anyone who has learned on a full length mast will feel like its possible.
Anyone who learned on a short mast will feel that is the way to go.

IMHO a short carbon mast seems like a crazy waste of cash, but whatever, people waste their cash all the time.

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Lomma
Gear: TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 110
Gong Veloce M, 100cm carbon mast
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m

Postby TomW » Wed Mar 01, 2017 1:16 am

I think you are right Starsky.
Now that I'm flying solo on the 91 cm strut, My thought is that having lessons, instructor 1 to 1 with radio for first 3-4 sessions, in decent conditions, would allow any proficient kiter to learn on full length strut. probably same cost as a shorter strut purchase. I think I learned some safety tricks, mainly how to eject and keep board from doing helicopter axe thing.
That said, I'm making a 70cm strut for our shallow spots at home.

WH Lithuania
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Melnragė, Elektrėnai, Vievis
Favorite Beaches: Melnragė
Style: wave, hydrofoil
Gear: Ozone Chrono V3 UL 13m. Ozone Reo V5 9m and 7m, V4 10m. BWS Aeneema 5'5. Tons of GoFoil, Moses, Takuma foils. BWS Mulcoy Pro 6'0.

Postby WH Lithuania » Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:19 am

Is it easier to learn jibes, roll tacks etc. on 41cm mast comparing to regular ~95cm ?

Frank Rosin
Very Frequent Poster
Style: wave & hydrofoil
Gear: Moses hydrofoils, Ozone kites, Dynabar sliding hook + a lot of other gear for fun and testing, e.g. Levitaz, Zeeko, AXIS, HB ....
Brand Affiliation: www.famousfrank.com

Postby Frank Rosin » Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:22 am

WH Lithuania wrote:Is it easier to learn jibes, roll tacks etc. on 41cm mast comparing to regular ~95cm ?
No!!
It is really hard to ride maneuvers on the 41.
This is not what it is designed for!

Long before you start to work on those things you'll have changed to a long mast.
Way later again it can be a fun challenge to ride and actually fly the 41 and also try to do maneuvers with it. But it isn't easy.

Cheers
Frank
http://www.famousfrank.com/hydrofoil/moses

pikovsg
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Boston, Cape Cod, Outer Banks
Favorite Beaches: Cape Cod, Tarifa, Maui, Cabarete, Guadeloupe, Pleasure Bay.
Any session with a BRM Cloud and a hydrofoil.
Style: Soul, Freestyle, Race
Gear: -
Duotone Dice SLS, BRM Clouds, Ozone R1V2
Lift 150, Moses 637
Triton Custom V3 Bat 37", Temavento Sync
Carved Imperator

Postby pikovsg » Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:57 am

Best tip I can ever give to starting foilers - get the Slinghshot AlienAir board + Hoverglide NF2 with a short mast (also called Flight School kit). It'll cost you $120 more, but it's the best investment you can make. Time is money - if we use that metaphor the short mast will save you half a year's salary – if you consider the amount of time it'll save you learning. ;)

P.S. After you learn to foil, you probably will not use the short mast ever again. (Unless you live near very shallow spots.)

BraCuru
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Grzybowo, Kołobrzeg, Polish Baltic Coast
Favorite Beaches: Polish Baltic Beach
Style: foilboarding
Gear: Flysurfer Souls, Moses Hydrofoil, BraCuru Boards
Brand Affiliation: Moses HF

Postby BraCuru » Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:41 am

pikovsg wrote:I learned to foil in one day because I had a short mast option. Otherwise it would have taken half a year...
A half of year? :argue:
I know many riders who have learned in a half of hour on long strut.
Don't know a single one who needed more than 10 hours to make first flies on long strut.

Like or dislike - I appreciate that the offer is so wide and matches the market demands.

WH Lithuania
Medium Poster
Gear: Ozone Chrono V3 UL 13m. Ozone Reo V5 9m and 7m, V4 10m. BWS Aeneema 5'5. Tons of GoFoil, Moses, Takuma foils. BWS Mulcoy Pro 6'0.

Postby WH Lithuania » Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:04 am

Frank Rosin wrote:
WH Lithuania wrote:Is it easier to learn jibes, roll tacks etc. on 41cm mast comparing to regular ~95cm ?
No!!
It is really hard to ride maneuvers on the 41.
This is not what it is designed for!

Long before you start to work on those things you'll have changed to a long mast.
Way later again it can be a fun challenge to ride and actually fly the 41 and also try to do maneuvers with it. But it isn't easy.

Cheers
Frank
http://www.famousfrank.com/hydrofoil/moses
Thanks, Frank. Next question - 2016 vs 2017 Vorace FreeRace mast. Is there really a difference? Mast shape is a definitelly different, but is there really noticeable differences?

Frank Rosin
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Moses hydrofoils, Ozone kites, Dynabar sliding hook + a lot of other gear for fun and testing, e.g. Levitaz, Zeeko, AXIS, HB ....

Postby Frank Rosin » Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:37 am

Yes, but on a high level, depends on your level and riding style if you feel it and if it makes a difference really.
The new one is thinner, longer, stiffer.
More refined overall design if you want.
This does not make the previous version look/perform bad at all though.

Cheers
Frank
www.famousfrank.com

WH Lithuania
Medium Poster

Postby WH Lithuania » Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:28 am

Thanks, Frank. Well, I think it's right to say that there is no noticeable difference for weekend warriors :)

Frank Rosin
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Frank Rosin » Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:12 pm

WH Lithuania wrote:Thanks, Frank. Well, I think it's right to say that there is no noticeable difference for weekend warriors :)
Nobody riding the Vorace Free Race has to worry that it is obsolete now that the Vorace Sport is available ;)

Cheers,
Frank
www.famousfrank.com/hydrofoil/moses

Return to “Hydrofoil”