Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Help - how to tack? Especially strapless

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
Frank Rosin
Very Frequent Poster
Style: wave & hydrofoil
Gear: Moses hydrofoils, Ozone kites, Dynabar sliding hook + a lot of other gear for fun and testing, e.g. Levitaz, Zeeko, AXIS, HB ....
Brand Affiliation: www.famousfrank.com
Has thanked: 0

Re: Help - how to tack? Especially strapless

Postby Frank Rosin » Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:19 am

stevez wrote:Ozbungy, I can relate to your frustration.

I've been trying to learn to tack to toeside, and can't seem to figure out how to get around, yet. I'm having pretty much the same experience as you.

Maybe it would actually be easier to learn with a foot change. At least you step around the lines into an easier position to ride away from. Or so it appears. Like Frank does here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kyX5iYtn4BU

Not changing feet, the lines seem to be in the way, and I can't figure out how to get past / around them.

Can you do full 360s?
I think that is an awesome maneuver, but actually relatively easy and a very good first step on the way to master the roll tack.

After that it should be not to hard not to complete the 360 but ride out of it toeside (probably making it more than 180° around to ride out of it rather downwind).
You'll have one strong side and one weak side. To keep motivated maybe best to start with the better more natural feeling side.
But than do not wait too long before working on the other side too, otherwise it will be quite hard to be back to square one there later on.

After these two maneuvers you should have a better feeling how the roll tack can actually work for you, you get a feeling for timing and how to fly the kite right.
And then it is practice practice practice...and more practice.
One day it will feel like the most natural maneuver.

Enjoy the journey, that's what it's all about!
Remember, it is always about the challenge, once you can do something very well you'll be looking for the next challenge.

Cheers,
Frank
www.famousfrank.com/hydrofoil

Frank Rosin
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Moses hydrofoils, Ozone kites, Dynabar sliding hook + a lot of other gear for fun and testing, e.g. Levitaz, Zeeko, AXIS, HB ....

Postby Frank Rosin » Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:20 am

Peter_Frank wrote:Franks videoclip is just awesome :thumb:

He is making close to perfect roll tacks, and then at the end when he crashes, the dry comment from the videoguy is "THAT was good" ha haaa, it was the moment he loved to get on video :naughty:

Somewhat just like in the old days, when we were windsurfing standing on the rail on the wrong side of the sail doing tacks, performing the most difficult hardcore freestyle possible - and the grandmas on the beach always said: Look, he can not do it right :rollgrin:

8) PF

It's all about fun!

Cheers,
Frank

Mossy 757
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: First Landing State Park, Virginia Beach Oceanfront
Style: Kitefoil
Gear: Delta Hydrofoil and board. Cabrinha Velocity 9m, Flysurfer Sonic2 11m, Ozone R1V2 15m

Postby Mossy 757 » Mon Mar 06, 2017 12:22 pm

I think tacking is much easier with short lines versus long. The timing is faster and there's less of a long deliberate pause in the middle.

gmb13
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Local Beach: Flag Beach, Fuerteventura
Style: Everything
Gear: Indiana, Sailmon
Brand Affiliation: Indiana, Sailmon

Postby gmb13 » Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:33 pm

Hi these might help.

Close up:
https://www.facebook.com/foilingbasics/ ... 102987097/

and one with kite in the frame:

https://www.facebook.com/foilingbasics/ ... 649285873/

and go pro:

https://www.facebook.com/gunnar.biniasc ... 341463615/

But here are some more tips that should help too.

1) Start with moving your back foot a bit closer to your front foot. Essentially shortening your stance. This will do two things. a) allow you to switch your feet quicker b)will cause less of a shift in balance when you move your foot.

2) Learn with good power. Take a bit of a bigger kite than usual, especially if using tube kites. The extra lift will make it so much easier

3) You really need to push into the tack, to get lift out of the foil to cary you though the tack

4) Turn your head. A lot of people fail to do that and their rotation stops half way. Keep your eyes level with the horizon, do not look down at your feet.

5) Flatten the board out with your toes before switching your feet.

--
Gunnar

stevez
Frequent Poster
Style: Foil freeride and wave
Gear: BRM cloud
Stringy foil XL
Homemade board
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby stevez » Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:44 am

Thanks Frank, Gunnar for the suggestions!
Frank Rosin wrote: Can you do full 360s?
I think that is an awesome maneuver, but actually relatively easy and a very good first step on the way to master the roll tack.
No I can't, again not yet. I feel like if I crack the 360 I'll get the tack to toeside, and probably vice versa. They appear to start the same, but end differently. I'm getting stuck at the start!
gmb13 wrote: 4) Turn your head. A lot of people fail to do that and their rotation stops half way. Keep your eyes level with the horizon, do not look down at your feet.
I think this is one of the things I'm not doing properly, maybe the main thing, looking forward to testing this.

Frank Rosin
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Frank Rosin » Tue Mar 07, 2017 12:16 pm

stevez wrote:Thanks Frank, Gunnar for the suggestions!
No I can't, again not yet. I feel like if I crack the 360 I'll get the tack to toeside, and probably vice versa. They appear to start the same, but end differently. I'm getting stuck at the start!
gmb13 wrote: 4) Turn your head. A lot of people fail to do that and their rotation stops half way. Keep your eyes level with the horizon, do not look down at your feet.
I think this is one of the things I'm not doing properly, maybe the main thing, looking forward to testing this.

You are welcome!
What may be the most helpful thing for you would be to have an experienced foiler to have a look at you trying to do one of these maneuvers.
Sometimes it is little things that are easy to spot and a bit of feedback can make all the difference that is needed.
Do you have anybody around that could do just this for you?

Cheers,
Frank

gmb13
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Local Beach: Flag Beach, Fuerteventura
Style: Everything
Gear: Indiana, Sailmon
Brand Affiliation: Indiana, Sailmon

Postby gmb13 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 12:27 pm

stevez wrote:Thanks Frank, Gunnar for the suggestions!
This may help:

https://www.facebook.com/foilingbasics/ ... 912492080/

--
Gunnar

stevez
Frequent Poster
Style: Foil freeride and wave
Gear: BRM cloud
Stringy foil XL
Homemade board
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby stevez » Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:36 pm

Frank Rosin wrote:
Tue Mar 07, 2017 12:16 pm
You are welcome!
What may be the most helpful thing for you would be to have an experienced foiler to have a look at you trying to do one of these maneuvers.
Sometimes it is little things that are easy to spot and a bit of feedback can make all the difference that is needed.
Yeah, there are fortunately some really top notch foilers around here who I may be able to call on for some help.

Frank Rosin
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Frank Rosin » Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:21 pm

stevez wrote:
Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:36 pm
Frank Rosin wrote:
Tue Mar 07, 2017 12:16 pm
You are welcome!
Yeah, there are fortunately some really top notch foilers around here who I may be able to call on for some help.

Go for it!
The best you can do.
It does not need to be much they are telling you, if it is just the right little details it may be all you need. Plus practice practice practice of course.

Cheers,
Frank

bragnouff
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: New Brighton
Gear: Boards: Alkita boards
Zeeko Slash/AirWave/Scrambler
Amundson Johno
Foils: Spitfire XLW/ XXLW. GoFoil NL130/160/190
Kites: FS Peaks
HB Legion
Wings:Zeeko Carve
HB Flair/Guide...
Brand Affiliation: GK enthusiast / Zeeko & HB Pimp

Postby bragnouff » Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:28 pm

Yesterday I found out one reason why a roll tack seems more popular on a foil than a normal tack. When doing the roll tack your body is essentially downwind of your board for most of the move, whereas on a normal tack, you'd be upwind of your board for a little bit. That's the bit that hurts when you screw up your transition... I'd say roll tack is safer!

Return to “Hydrofoil”