Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Peter Lynn Introduces The Aero - Hydrofoil Race Kite

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
BOEMIX
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sant Pere Pescador (Spain)
Favorite Beaches: Etang de l'Eole, La Franqui (France)
Style: Freeriding
Gear: Kites: ozone: Flusurfer Soul15m, Flusurfer Peak 11m, Flysurfer Peak 8m, Ozone access 6m, Ozone Enduro 7 and 10m, Ozone Edge 13m,
Boards: Naish Bullet 5,4, Liewe Shotgun 138x41, Custom Saul 145x45, Custom Race TTBoard, Custom Rikyshapes foil board with Sabfoil.

For winging: Duotone 5'5 Aluula Unit, Takuma Ride3 5m, Cabrinha Mantis 4m, Slinshot 3'2, and also Custom Rikyshapes winging with Sabfoil as the biard/foil.
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Peter Lynn Introduces The Aero - Hydrofoil Race Kite

Postby BOEMIX » Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:04 pm

God with that race foil crazyness all kite companies have entered I only wish more freeride oriented foils like chrono 2 and speed 4-5 don't get discontinued...

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Sun Mar 12, 2017 7:16 pm

BOEMIX wrote:
Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:04 pm
God with that race foil crazyness all kite companies have entered I only wish more freeride oriented foils like chrono 2 and speed 4-5 don't get discontinued...
Race foils are great to freeride with. The problem is they are heinously expensicve and have temporary life cycle.

It used to be that you could by a race kite (ozone edge) and get a good life out of it without stupid ridiculous constant tuning.

Mossy 757
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: First Landing State Park, Virginia Beach Oceanfront
Style: Kitefoil
Gear: Delta Hydrofoil and board. Cabrinha Velocity 9m, Flysurfer Sonic2 11m, Ozone R1V2 15m

Postby Mossy 757 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:32 pm

plummet wrote:
Sun Mar 12, 2017 7:16 pm
BOEMIX wrote:
Race foils are great to freeride with. The problem is they are heinously expensicve and have temporary life cycle.

It used to be that you could by a race kite (ozone edge) and get a good life out of it without stupid ridiculous constant tuning.
You can still buy Ozone Edges... :P

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:38 pm

Mossy 757 wrote:
Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:32 pm
plummet wrote:
BOEMIX wrote:

You can still buy Ozone Edges... :P
Yes you can. But almost non existent in the second hand market now.... My point is that these real high performance kites lifes cycles are a couple of years or and repeated tuning. They don't really suit long term free riding which is a shame.

-MJ-
Rare Poster
Style: Freeride
Gear: PL EscapeV4 & V5
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby -MJ- » Thu Mar 16, 2017 4:33 pm

plummet wrote:
BOEMIX wrote:

You can still get good life out of a foil, even when freeriding. (just don't crash 'em..)
The bridles stretching issue can be prevented with heavier duty bridle lines which 'll have a much longer lifespan before stretching beyond use than the ultra thin stuff used.
You'll lose a knot or two on the low end, but pricewise it wouldn't make much difference I think, maybe the thicker bridles are even cheaper than those thin, high tech performance bridles?

BOEMIX
Frequent Poster
Gear: Kites: ozone: Flusurfer Soul15m, Flusurfer Peak 11m, Flysurfer Peak 8m, Ozone access 6m, Ozone Enduro 7 and 10m, Ozone Edge 13m,
Boards: Naish Bullet 5,4, Liewe Shotgun 138x41, Custom Saul 145x45, Custom Race TTBoard, Custom Rikyshapes foil board with Sabfoil.

For winging: Duotone 5'5 Aluula Unit, Takuma Ride3 5m, Cabrinha Mantis 4m, Slinshot 3'2, and also Custom Rikyshapes winging with Sabfoil as the biard/foil.

Postby BOEMIX » Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:56 pm

I have both edge and chrono 2 and both are great kites, but for lightwind, mountainboarding and snowkiting freeride foils are the best. I haven't noticed any detuning yet in my chrono, remember It hasn't spaguetti bridle. I think race foils have outstanding performance but at the tradeoff of being messed as soon as a minium gust hit, or I'm wrong here?

Mossy 757
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Delta Hydrofoil and board. Cabrinha Velocity 9m, Flysurfer Sonic2 11m, Ozone R1V2 15m

Postby Mossy 757 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:44 pm

BOEMIX wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:56 pm
I think race foils have outstanding performance but at the tradeoff of being messed as soon as a minium gust hit, or I'm wrong here?
Honestly, I think the problems are way over exaggerated. With most foils these days you just tweak one or two little lines a centimeter or two and you're back in business. Every year or two you take a look at a couple of high wear parts in the speed system, but all in all I've been very happy since I switched to a quiver of foil kites.

Mossy 757
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Mossy 757 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:56 pm

Just saw this on Youtube:

https://youtu.be/8LZmNW1MUAw

evan
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Local Beach: Brouwersdam
Style: Hydrofoil - Big Air
Gear: Infexion bars
Brand Affiliation: Infexion

Postby evan » Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:27 pm

Already received the weights Mossy?

Also a bit surprised about the lifespan nonsense, my ozone's didn't need tuning for a whole year and when my 9m chrono v1 became out of tune it still does fly without problems. Just lacking that last % performance, but that's it. Company's just dig themselves in from claims when they advise you to check the bridle on a short interval.
BOEMIX wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:56 pm
I think race foils have outstanding performance but at the tradeoff of being messed as soon as a minium gust hit, or I'm wrong here?
Messed when a gust hits, what do you mean by that?
chrono V1, Sonic Fr and other first generation racefoils had a nasty habbit of collapsing tips and where hard to inflate and loose pressure too soon when on the water. The latest generation is rock-solid in the air with even more performance than before, you really need some messed up turbulent air to get into problems but even tubes will have a hard time when in gets that turbulent.

Last week we had a perfect 8kn breeze for the 17m Aero when the wind shifts 45 deg and gusts of 22kn out of the new direction where mixing with the stable 8kn wind. Never experienced something more turbulent like that ever before, really scary to see pitchblack patches moving towards you and feeling the wind become instable! On the beach you saw the gusts blowing up the sand like it was blowing well beyond 20kn, had a very hard time surviving this on on the water because i was affraid to get lofted or worse on the beach. The kite wobbeld, folded, had loose lines but remained flyable all the time and the gusts luckily died out as soon as they arrived altough the stronger wind remained.
Attachments
2017-03-09.JPG

BOEMIX
Frequent Poster

Postby BOEMIX » Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:39 pm

I'm basically comparing chrono 1 against 2, that most foilers are using in our spot. More than twice I needed to grab the harness handle of a mate getting lofted due to the kite flying too further in the window, collapsing and repowering again. Maybe new race foils have the best of both.

Return to “Hydrofoil”