Forum for kitesurfers
Carlos_C
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Southend, Lancing, Hunstanton, sea Palling
Gear: Fuels, Speed 4, Sonic 2
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: What is your most used oldest kite?

Postby Carlos_C » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:35 am

I have a mastair 12 and 16 in the garage, I weigh 69 Kg and in 14 mph wind I have to be helped getting to the beach with the 16 Mastie - the static lift on that this is nuts. The bar is enourmous !!!

I still ride a 2006 Psycho 3 8 mtregularly

Johhnn
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Pine Point
Favorite Beaches: P-town Harbor, Manzanillo del Mar
Style: Freeride
Gear: FS: S4 8 & 10 m DLX, S4 Lotus 10 & 12 m, Sonic 2 15 m, Ozone R1V2 11 m
Core: XR3 6 and 12 m, XR5 9 m
FS: FlyRadical M
AlpineFoil 5.0 Ti Ultimate Hydrofoil with RX-V5S board; Sport and Lift wings
Has thanked: 0

Postby Johhnn » Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:10 pm

Flysurfer Speed 4 8 meter deluxe fabric. This will be my fourth season using it. I use it for foiling, so in relatively lighter wind. I can use it from maybe 10-30. I got a Core XR3 at the same time for higher winds, but I really don't like it on the foilboard. The steering lines are just too loose, no matter what setting I choose on the bridle attach points.

NorthernKitesAus
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Altona Beach, Melbourne
Pallarenda Beach, Townsville
Favorite Beaches: Altona Beach
Torquay
Bells
Winki Pop
Bushland Beach
Pallarenda & The Strand
Cocos Islands
Fiji
Bali
Style: Freestyle
Gear: Flysurfer Speed3 dlx 15m
PANSH Aurora 12m
Naish SLE Boxer 15m
RRD Type 9 12m
Peter Lynn WF 5.6m
Fluid ATV 10m
Slingshot 9m
Slingshot Fluid 13m
Naish Boxer 12m
GlobeKites 12m
Naish Cult 13.5m
Naish Helix 12m

MBS Core 95
6'2" thruster
9'2" "The Gill" (1963) malibu board
9'2" "Waterman" Merricks Longboard (2003)
Brand Affiliation: Peter Lynn

Postby NorthernKitesAus » Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:22 am

My first kite was a brand new 2011 Fluid ATV 10m. However, it took all I my $$$ and I did not want or could not justify $1.5K + for a new kite, so I sold it and used the dosh to buy 2nd hand kites ever since. Buy 2nd hand and sell them on after a year or so.... bought more 2nd hand kites, and so on.
At one point I had 18 kites! Now I have 12. :roll:
My favourites now are Naish Boxer SLE 15m, with cross-over bar, and the Peter Lynn Synergy 12m. That is an amazing kite in 20+ knots.
Spins on a dime and pulls like a truck. I love kites that have grunt and some bar pressure, so I can feel the kite itself better.
One other favourite is ......drumroll........ Peter Lynn Waterfoil 5.6m, but the reason I love this kite so much is 1. it's small and packs into my pocket just about and 2. I've rebridled it entirely into a depower system, with a mixer, so now I can use it with a standard 4-line depower bar. It pulls like a 10m LEI kite, but spins incredibly fast. It requires a lot of control, but once parked she stays anywhere in the wind window you want. Great for 25knots +

loco4viento
Very Frequent Poster

Postby loco4viento » Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:37 am

Nice comment on the Waterfoil! That was the most powerful foil kite per square meter ever (although the 3.6 and 2.4 Waterfoils were just as amazing). I've fooled with a lot of bridles and mods but a depower version of the Waterfoil sounds like a treat to ride. The Waterfoil was the sturdiest, most airtight, best constructed foil I've ever used (although stock bridles were pretty lame).

vela99
Frequent Poster
Weight: 74
Style: Wave Kitesurfing
Gear: North Neo 6, 8 & 11, Appletree Applepeeler 5 7" and Gong Lethal 5 6"

Postby vela99 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:45 pm

Hi

I have a question that is somewhat related to this post or let me say some of the persons that contributed to this post may be able to answer.

Assuming no accidents nor aggressive use such as self launching on abrasive surfaces and assuming 3 to 4 hours exposure to sunlight per session, how many sessions does a kite last?

Mine, a 2011 North Rebel, has slightly more than 100 sessions and it looks like it could handle another 100, but I do not believe it could handle another 200. So my answer to the above question based on my limited experience would be 200 sessions..............maybe 250..........

Thanks

Starsky
Very Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0

Postby Starsky » Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:39 pm

Its more like sun intensity than hours of kiting or sessions.

People that travel to the beaches of Brazil and stay for the season can tell you. Leave your kites out on the beach and their toast inside a season. Up here in the North, kites can last years.

Return to “Kitesurfing”