Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Re: I got up

Postby Toby » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:57 pm

TomW wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:12 pm
Guys at work say " I'd like to try kitesurfing ". I say " that's like trying heroin ".
haha, funny! but ... so true! :lol:

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:58 pm

Bille wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:56 pm
Beardytello wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:21 pm

I've actually booked tomorrow off work because the wind's up!
OH NO ; Dude, your in trouble !!! :D

Hope your wife/girlfriend , has an open mind ; for You, nothing else
is gonna really matter , (for a few years) .

Good On-Ya Beardy ; So much FUN ... !! :thumb:

Bille
yes, big trouble approaching!

But, whatever you leave for kitesurfing...it is worth it :thumb:

knotwindy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: baja, gorge
Style: erratic to none
Gear: yes, I use gear
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby knotwindy » Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:28 am

Beardytello wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:00 pm
Ha ha, yeah....I may very well end up divorced. She's fairly understanding though, better hobby than strippers and cocaine.
Cost about the same though :lol: :bye:

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Lomma
Gear: TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 110
Gong Veloce M, 100cm carbon mast
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m

Postby TomW » Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:15 pm

Besides understanding wife, you need understanding boss. I've bugged out early on several occasions, and my boss says " go for it, have fun! Great idea to get out"

Beardytello
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Isle of Man
Gear: North / Spleene / Ozone / CrazyFly / Mystic

Postby Beardytello » Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:02 am

TomW wrote:
Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:15 pm
Besides understanding wife, you need understanding boss. I've bugged out early on several occasions, and my boss says " go for it, have fun! Great idea to get out"
Aww man, I need one of those!

Yesterday wasn't too good, it was gusty and the sea was pretty rough.

I got out on my second attempt later in the day (the first time I bailed because all of a sudden it went from a little scary to 35mph gusts and I thought I was going to die)

Still didn't quite master it but I think the gustyness didn't help at all. I got a bit raped :lol:

Lessons learned though, I didn't actually die and I learned some skills I guess driving a kite in stupid gusts....and that the weather is a fickle bitch!

Matteo V
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Matteo V » Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:45 pm

TomW wrote:
Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:15 pm
Best bet is to work in the sailing industry. My boss, being a cat sailor and racer, can see it on my face and in my walk when the wind is going to blow. It's getting almost to the point that he knows and even asks before I do.

bubblytwink1613
Rare Poster
Gear: Beginner
Been thanked: 0

Postby bubblytwink1613 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:21 pm

Beardytello wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:05 am
Ha ha! On my board that is, not my penis.

It was blowing around 15kts on the weekend so I went out for a blast and actually got up on the board a few times, I couldn't actually keep the power on, but I was starting to get it, and I just think I need to practice bringing the kite back up after my initial dive.

But regardless...I've now actually stood on a moving board powered by the wind! :D
congratulations!

i am a newbie into kitesurfing and will like to find out if you have your own equipment and were u practicing alone or with some friends?

totally newbie for me and i am renting and taking lessons where the instructor waits for me while i practice water-start... pretty pricey for having lessons to practise how to water-start but unsure if i could go out and do this alone... :cry:

lovethepirk
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Almost air tacking on hydrofoil...
Gear: Delta Race Hydrofoil, 15m SS Turbine, 12m Switchblade, 9m Switchblade

Postby lovethepirk » Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:03 pm

Beardytello wrote:
Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:02 am

I got out on my second attempt later in the day (the first time I bailed because all of a sudden it went from a little scary to 35mph gusts and I thought I was going to die)

Still didn't quite master it but I think the gustyness didn't help at all. I got a bit raped :lol:

Lessons learned though, I didn't actually die and I learned some skills I guess driving a kite in stupid gusts....and that the weather is a fickle bitch!
Beardy,

I learned in really light summer winds 8-12mph with a 17m. Needless to say, most of my board attempts I just sank. Then one day, it's blowing 16mph and all I've got is a 160cm board :o Dove the kite and all the sudden I'm going 25mph, and have zero skills to slow down.

Biggest thing I learned a few weeks after that was the proper posture. I firmly believe as a newbie you cannot get a solid edge in good winds unless you first learn to ride with your hips forward and a relatively straightlined body. I think this is a great video to have a look at:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JyDJliyx5l4

Good luck!

Beardytello
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Isle of Man
Gear: North / Spleene / Ozone / CrazyFly / Mystic

Postby Beardytello » Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:12 am

bubblytwink1613 wrote:
Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:21 pm
congratulations!

i am a newbie into kitesurfing and will like to find out if you have your own equipment and were u practicing alone or with some friends?

totally newbie for me and i am renting and taking lessons where the instructor waits for me while i practice water-start... pretty pricey for having lessons to practise how to water-start but unsure if i could go out and do this alone... :cry:
Hey!

So my path was I took a few lessons mostly to get the safety stuff dialled in (By a few I mean 2), I wanted to reduce the risks as much as possible and get the hang of flying, body dragging, self rescue etc. And most importantly not look like a total dick on the beach!

Then I bought some gear and hit the beach, basically I set myself a target every time, first couple of times it was to safely launch, bodydrag, practice ejecting and self rescuing, landing etc...I'm at waterstart now, I can get up consistently but I can't quite ride yet, just keep falling back in the water....or getting ripped off the board :lol: But I've been out in sketchy weather, lost my board, upwind bodydragged and retrieved it with no drama so that was a victory in my eyes!

Having my own gear means whenever it's windy I can head out and get a bit more practice in, I feel like although an instructor would probably reduce the time it takes me to "get" things, this way is working for me albeit over a longer period of time. It's fun though! I may be taking my time but I'm enjoying it.

Once you've had lessons and are confident about flying safely then youtube videos, I think I've watched every video available from self launching and landing to what to do in the event of a deathloop.

tomato
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Sweden
Style: faceplant!!!
Gear: old

Postby tomato » Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:11 pm

Having instructor saves a lot of time and probably an injury. Basicaly you save a whole season. Then you can advance quicker. I got about 5 hours with instructor untill water start and ride few meters. Then 3 hours for start each direction. And then practice alone If wind is light that takes extra time (in my case). And then took about 7-8 session to get idea how upwind works. Learning kitesurfing takes time.

And wear a helmet. Then you can be a bit dick on the beach :) If I wear helmet i noticed people avoid me in the water a lot (BEGINER!) and give me space all the time. Also pay attention to me in launching and landing and give more advices. But in general kitesurfing guys are friendly. Once I forgot helmet at home- others ride much close to me :) Helmet gives more freedom :)

BTW if you find yourself alone on the kitesurfing beach- something is wrong. Either wind or conditions or something. If there is a good wind- there is a bunch of people with kites on my spot.

Return to “Kitesurfing”