Star Sirius V2 12m
Nobile Fity/50 138cm
Naish Apex bindings.
Zeeko Green and White + Shinn El Stubbo
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Re: Riding without sunglasses

Postby jeromeL » Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:34 pm

To be fair to LFAK ANSI Z81.1 doesn't actually test using a bullet. Only the military standard test that way.
The ANSI Z87.1-2015 high-impact velocity test consists of a 1/4″ steel ball shot at 150 fps, which is around 102 mph. Chances are most polycarbonate lenses may survive a 500 fps impact, but they haven’t been officially tested. In my opinion, it’s not worth the risk!

You should seriously consider wearing ballistic rated eyewear because they’re tested using the US Military standards for impact protection (MIL-PRF-32432). In brief, the U.S. military standard requires that ballistic eyewear must be able to withstand up to a .15 caliber at 640 fps for spectacles and .22 caliber at 550-560 fps for goggles.

bri7
Medium Poster
Gear: Slingshot
Been thanked: 0

Postby bri7 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:33 pm

Basically once you get over 35 everything that can go wrong will, back, knees, eyes, ears. You just wake up one morning take a look in the mirror and think WTF happened here.

LetsFlyaKite
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Aggressive
Gear: Nothing Yet

Postby LetsFlyaKite » Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:26 pm

jeromeL wrote:
Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:34 pm
To be fair to LFAK ANSI Z81.1 doesn't actually test using a bullet. Only the military standard test that way.
The ANSI Z87.1-2015 high-impact velocity test consists of a 1/4″ steel ball shot at 150 fps, which is around 102 mph. Chances are most polycarbonate lenses may survive a 500 fps impact, but they haven’t been officially tested. In my opinion, it’s not worth the risk!

You should seriously consider wearing ballistic rated eyewear because they’re tested using the US Military standards for impact protection (MIL-PRF-32432). In brief, the U.S. military standard requires that ballistic eyewear must be able to withstand up to a .15 caliber at 640 fps for spectacles and .22 caliber at 550-560 fps for goggles.
Thanks Jerome, this is exactly the point I have been saying this whole time. But it seems like everyone around here is so stuck in their ways of attempting to prove me wrong, that they prove themselves wrong in the process.

Now I am a reasonable guy here, I'm just trying to have a decent conversation with everyone. And all anyone has ever done in this thread is try to make me look ignorant, but as everyone here can see, the only thing that looks ignorant around here are the people trying to pick a fight with me. I'm very sorry you guys look like a bunch of big idiots right now, but it's not my problem. If you guys would forget about the hate you have for me this forum would be a better place and you would look a lot better, instead of trying to bash me all the time like a sorry piece of trash. Everything I have said so far has been spot on, 100% fact. Why would you want to pick at that?

Like I said before I am willing to forget all of this mess and pretend like it never happened. This is so stupid, and so idiotic, that I want nothing to do with it.

Have a good day

Windstoked
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Thermalito Afterbay and Sherman Island, California
Gear: Core

Postby Windstoked » Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:21 pm

The best solution to sun-related eye pain/visual impairment I've found is a visor/cap, preferably a wide-billed one. It made an incredible difference.
I was having significant eye issues at my local beach when morning kiting due to a dominant west wind pattern and resultant facing the sun in the east. Sunglasses were a hassle, but the problems went away with a cap. For real early sessions I add polarized sunglasses to block the glare off the water.
I tie the cap to my wetsuit zipper-pull string, or use my helmet to hold it on.

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:29 am

LetsFlyaKite wrote:
Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:26 pm
jeromeL wrote:
Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:34 pm

Thanks Jerome, this is exactly the point I have been saying this whole time. But it seems like everyone around here is so stuck in their ways of attempting to prove me wrong, that they prove themselves wrong in the process.

Now I am a reasonable guy here, I'm just trying to have a decent conversation with everyone. And all anyone has ever done in this thread is try to make me look ignorant, but as everyone here can see, the only thing that looks ignorant around here are the people trying to pick a fight with me. I'm very sorry you guys look like a bunch of big idiots right now, but it's not my problem. If you guys would forget about the hate you have for me this forum would be a better place and you would look a lot better, instead of trying to bash me all the time like a sorry piece of trash. Everything I have said so far has been spot on, 100% fact. Why would you want to pick at that?

Like I said before I am willing to forget all of this mess and pretend like it never happened. This is so stupid, and so idiotic, that I want nothing to do with it.

Have a good day
Did you miss the bit about the military standard? :roll:

Here's yet another company making military standard ballistic-rated (ie. bullet-proof) sunglasses: http://www.wileyx.com/Tactical/technology/protection

Google before you post.
Last edited by Kamikuza on Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Kamikuza » Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:36 am

Windstoked wrote:
Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:21 pm
The best solution to sun-related eye pain/visual impairment I've found is a visor/cap, preferably a wide-billed one. It made an incredible difference.
I was having significant eye issues at my local beach when morning kiting due to a dominant west wind pattern and resultant facing the sun in the east. Sunglasses were a hassle, but the problems went away with a cap. For real early sessions I add polarized sunglasses to block the glare off the water.
I tie the cap to my wetsuit zipper-pull string, or use my helmet to hold it on.
Water reflects only 10% of UV rays so that may actually be enough. Even if plummet thinks it looks kooky :lol:

LetsFlyaKite
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Aggressive
Gear: Nothing Yet

Postby LetsFlyaKite » Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:37 pm

Kamikuza wrote:
Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:29 am

Here's yet another company making military standard ballistic-rated (ie. bullet-proof) sunglasses: http://www.wileyx.com/Tactical/technology/protection

Google before you post.

Did you read anything in this whole thread? We're talking about spy sunglasses being bulletproof, not "Millitary graded eyewear" :duh:

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Kamikuza » Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:30 pm

LetsFlyaKite wrote:
Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:37 pm
Kamikuza wrote:
Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:29 am

Google before you post.

Did you read anything in this whole thread? We're talking about spy sunglasses being bulletproof, not "Millitary graded eyewear" :duh:
:lol:

Don't need to read the whole thread, just start with your kewl meme at the bottom of page 4 that shows you were completely unaware of either ANSI Z87 or the MIL-PRF standards, or that there ARE even such things as standards that describe bulletproof lenses.

When the video was posted showing what the ANSI standard means, suddenly "it's a different company, nice try". Even though that is THE SAME TEST the Spy glasses pass that gives them the ANSI rating!

When someone else points out what the MILITARY spec means, suddenly it's "that's what I meant".

Ri-iiight :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

And if you REALLY want actual bulletproof glasses, there are plenty of brands out there. Now you know what to look for :lol:

Return to “Kitesurfing”