Style: Hydrofoil
Gear: Zeeko spitfire
F one diablo 6.4 and 8
Flysurfer sonic 2 11, 13, 18
Elf Joker 15
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: My progression, some help needed please

Postby haare » Mon Apr 17, 2017 2:11 pm

He means that you put something between the stabilizer wing and the fuselage. So that its angle of attack changes. Some boards have different usually plastic peaces that you can switch (for example alpine foil)

Delta hydrofoil has made a video of this. But they put the shim between mast and fuselage. If you have version one, that is not possible (connection is welded). Delta guy makes the shimm of bondo squeeze.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVdSx5eNdUA

Delta has also made a great video what effect it has when you change back wings angle.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1abYwk ... e=youtu.be

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Lomma
Gear: TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 110
Gong Veloce M, 100cm carbon mast
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m

Postby TomW » Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:56 pm

I'm still working on getting in the milage. So far only 1hr a week. 10 sessions since September last year. I've gone back and forth between 3strap high volume board and stayed on 2 straps low volume. moved back strap backwards last 2 sessions because I'm having a lot of rear foot pressure while flying, can get squirrelly when front foot is too light.
Seen a lot of videos and many guys have rear leg straight, front leg in a sort of lunge stans, let's them change CoG by just bending front knee. Front foot is pointing forward somewhat.
So I moved my rear foothook to just behind the strut plate.

abel
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Favorite Beaches: Naxos, Kos, Rodos (prasonisi), Red sea, Cumbuco, Kalpitia (Sri Lanka)
Style: freeride, very light winds
Gear: Peak4, Airush Ultra, hydrofoil Moses 633

Postby abel » Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:49 pm

TomW wrote:
Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:56 pm
I'm still working on getting in the milage. So far only 1hr a week. 10 sessions since September last year. I've gone back and forth between 3strap high volume board and stayed on 2 straps low volume. moved back strap backwards last 2 sessions because I'm having a lot of rear foot pressure while flying, can get squirrelly when front foot is too light.
Seen a lot of videos and many guys have rear leg straight, front leg in a sort of lunge stans, let's them change CoG by just bending front knee. Front foot is pointing forward somewhat.
So I moved my rear foothook to just behind the strut plate.
I'm on a similar situation as you are. Moved backwards the rear hook last week. The main difference noticed is that my crashes are harder. :-?
I suppose that means that my ride is faster, right? or my airing is higher? :wink:
Having 1h/week (and not every week) is certainly not the best schedule for learning. I wish we could have 10 consecutive days @ 10-12 knots and flat water 8)
What is the difference between stubborn and persistent? :lol:
Anyhow, I stick for the time being to three hooks.

Did you feel an improvement since moving the rear hook?

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Tue Apr 18, 2017 5:29 pm

I dont think you ride "faster" standing further rear :roll:

But the more experience you get, the more you will like the ability to turn really sharp (or wide) and in control - which is what you obtain with a wide stance and rear foot more aft.
You can control your "height" much faster and be able to traverse waves, or big wind chop, very easy.

Riding toeside, you can avoid getting pulled downwind accelerating to a crash, much better with your rear foot aft, as you can keep the hydrofoil pointing upwind when toeside, IF a rear stance.

Most of all though, you can turn on a dime both from heelside and toeside, as here an even more aft stance is awesome, at least with your rear foot :rollgrin:

8) PF

Mossy 757
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: First Landing State Park, Virginia Beach Oceanfront
Style: Kitefoil
Gear: Delta Hydrofoil and board. Cabrinha Velocity 9m, Flysurfer Sonic2 11m, Ozone R1V2 15m

Postby Mossy 757 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:02 pm

abel wrote:
Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:49 pm
I wish we could have 10 consecutive days @ 10-12 knots and flat water
^ said every foiler ever ^ :lol: 8) :thumb:

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m

Postby TomW » Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:35 pm

Abel, Yes a bit frustrating. Have to work and family obligations. That said, I'm taking some hours off tomorrow after lunch and will get out if conditions allow. Be interesting to feel the changes I've made:
1. Moved back hook backwards
2. Changed angle of strut so nose will be higher in neutral flight
3. New Moses 548 higher lift front wing.
I'm making progress, much more confident just going out and getting up. I'm almost always kiting alone. Finding new spots that work in 12+ knots with deep water.
Air and water temperature still at around 7c here.
I'm now experiencing the disinterest in Regular kitesurfing... Only want to foil. But doing sessions on surfboard to keep in shape. Will report back.

revhed
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: france
Gear: kites

Postby revhed » Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:02 pm

Why not try strapless and find where you feel most at ease both stance width wise and fore, aft placement. :idea:
Then note where your feet are and place straps there for jumping.
May I suggest caution when jumping with such a heavy set up, and missed receptions with tight straps will cause damage to you and your KBHF!
You might want to check out strong foot hooks to ease the missed landing injurys!
R H

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m

Postby TomW » Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:27 pm

I was out today 1,5 hrs with new setup. wind 12-16 knots with 12m Mono. At first I was having a lot of trouble. I thought foil would fly at lower speed, which was not the case. I was porpoising. If it was slower it was 10% slower, and not perceptible. Once I gave up on slower speed, and went faster, it was flying nice. Now I have rear foot pretty far back. It was a 100mm move back since last session and I couldn't figure it out during 4 runs.
So I moved foot forward 50mm, basically starting with front foot in hook and back foot in front of rear hook. Rear Foot is now on rear plate screws. I used a more crouched stance, like Greg Drexler, with both knees pointing forwards somewhat. Using this stance it clicked and I was in far more altitude and directional control.
I'm still crashing a lot, but had quite a few good 500+m runs, relax slalom carving, adjusting altitude, trying different kite positions relatively to point of sail.
Felt really good.
I could take off rear hook now. 10 more sessions, I bet I take off front hook. ( that's 10 weeks for me).

abel
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Favorite Beaches: Naxos, Kos, Rodos (prasonisi), Red sea, Cumbuco, Kalpitia (Sri Lanka)
Style: freeride, very light winds
Gear: Peak4, Airush Ultra, hydrofoil Moses 633

Postby abel » Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:36 am

TomW wrote:
Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:27 pm
I was out today 1,5 hrs with new setup. wind 12-16 knots with 12m Mono.
Hey TomW,
By coincidence I had a great session the same day you did :D, also with a 12 m2 single strutted kite (I'm testing the Solo v3).
I'm quite curious about using a 12m single strut in 12-16 knots!?
The difference was that I had only 9-11 knots (and finally 1 foot swell :cheer: )

Most threads in te HF forum recommend smaller size for winds in the 11-16 knots range,...
Once I saw a guy in my beach Hfoiling with a 5.5m2 in 14-16 knots :o

So I'm wondering if you didn't have runners or get overpowered? Did you?

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m

Postby TomW » Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:03 pm

Hi Abel, it was pretty variable wind as usual in spring, wind increasing with approaching low pressure, and I had a low peninsula to windward. I'd say it was mostly 12-14 then some 16 gusts.
My sessions, advice here, and from my instructor in Mexico was to not go out underpowered, but use I kite 1 size down I would use on surfboard. this has worked best for me. My best 2 sessions were when I was well powered.
I can then keep kite higher and speed is actually slower, crashes not so hard because kite is high. It's also easier to kite a bit off wind/downwind. Again kite can be kept high and you don't over run kite. I can lean on kite more too.
In low power I'm having to keep kite lower and pressure on foil to windward to build apparent wind and speed.
I'm also still surface riding at times to rest and get past gusts.
I was getting some good runs, looking up, watching water for gusts ( much better view with head 70 cm higher!) Bearing off in gusts, turning up wind in gusts keeping kite high, learning how to control power. The kite is totally sheeted out and depowered, so have to use kite position and board direction to control power. Like back in 2002 when we had 6" of bar depower that dumped about 20% of your kite power.
The wind waves were about 50cm yesterday, so just flying straight over worked, keep altitude so board cleared wave top and didn't breach in troughs.
By runners, you mean? losing speed control, go too fast and crashing? yes had a few hard slams going back towards shore on my weak side and with the waves.
Overpowered? Yes, absolutely in those gusts, but managed to control power with kite position and point of sail most of the time. That felt like a big step in confidence and learning.
The other 2-3 things were the slalom turns, moving foot position during flight and pumping / maneuvering the foil with leg movement, and surface jibe at low speed.
Now I'm going to work a week in Tokyo, so next chance is Saturday April 29...

Return to “Hydrofoil”