Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

How tight is the fit on the tuttle box?

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
lovethepirk
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Almost air tacking on hydrofoil...
Gear: Delta Race Hydrofoil, 15m SS Turbine, 12m Switchblade, 9m Switchblade
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

How tight is the fit on the tuttle box?

Postby lovethepirk » Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:09 pm

I'm having to put a some decent pressure into getting the mast into the board on the tuttle box setup. Should the fit be nice and snug so you have to put some work into it or should it be a much easier fit? Does it loosen up over time? My board is a brand new build.

Mossy 757
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: First Landing State Park, Virginia Beach Oceanfront
Style: Kitefoil
Gear: Delta Hydrofoil and board. Cabrinha Velocity 9m, Flysurfer Sonic2 11m, Ozone R1V2 15m

Re: How tight is the fit on the tuttle box?

Postby Mossy 757 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:34 pm

lovethepirk wrote:
Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:09 pm
I'm having to put a some decent pressure into getting the mast into the board on the tuttle box setup. Should the fit be nice and snug so you have to put some work into it or should it be a much easier fit? Does it loosen up over time? My board is a brand new build.
They're usually pretty tight, but the thing isn't the box it's the tuttle head on the foil. George makes them so they fit tight as a nun's a$$hole, so what you want to do is put the board top side down on a soft surface like grass, sand, kite bags, carpet, etc. and just wiggle the tuttle in back and forth until you get it started. Try to get it as evenly seated as possible then start threading in the bolts from the top. Once you've got it threaded and you've put some tension on the bolts, you can rock it forward and cinch down that bolt, then rock it the other way and cinch down the other. I usually repeat that process 2 or 3 times until I can't feel any more fore/aft play in the strut and the tuttle head is clearly well sunk into the box from the bottom side of the board. If it seems far too tight to get a proper fit or if you think you're not getting close enough to the holes in the top of the strut to thread the bolts, you can sand down the tuttle head a little bit with some 200 or 300 grit to try to thin it down a bit, but I would be INSANELY careful about doing that because if you sand it too much it could have some loose side to side movement while riding.

Assembling a carbon tuttle foil is the least fun part of foilboarding.

gmb13
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Local Beach: Flag Beach, Fuerteventura
Style: Everything
Gear: Indiana, Sailmon
Brand Affiliation: Indiana, Sailmon

Postby gmb13 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:00 pm

Also remember that there are different Tuttle Boxes out there. Cheap china boxes are a little bit less wide than what most consider standard. You may need to sand it if it does not go in. If if fits in then don't sand anything. A snug fit is perfect

--
Gunnar

rtz
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Weight: 75kg
Favorite Beaches: OBX
SPI
Style: Freeride
Gear: SlingShot, Switch.

Postby rtz » Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:40 pm

I'd sand the mast and not the tuttle box. You can get more masts or foils. That box gets ruined is a different situation.

lovethepirk
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Almost air tacking on hydrofoil...
Gear: Delta Race Hydrofoil, 15m SS Turbine, 12m Switchblade, 9m Switchblade

Postby lovethepirk » Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:16 pm

Thanks all....I just gave the mast a solid screw in and it seats nicely into the box, but as stated takes a couple rock back and forths to get solid. It's weird because when you think it's in there, then you slap it a little you have to tighten down a side, then repeat. It's not wickedly tight, but pretty tight so I'll leave as be. Ready to get my ass kicked!

4liner
Rare Poster
Gear: Hydrofoil
Been thanked: 0

Postby 4liner » Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:17 pm

Liquid dish soap for a easier fit. When I used to windsurf I would carry a small amount in a squeeze bottle to get my fins to fit easier...and a soft hammer to remove them.

cglazier
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Naish, Flysurfer, Alpine, Moses

Postby cglazier » Sun Apr 23, 2017 5:01 pm

Just spit on it for an easier fit.
:-)

Return to “Hydrofoil”