Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Re: Twintip Advice for Heavy Rider

Postby Kamikuza » Fri Apr 14, 2017 2:19 am

stenner wrote:
Fri Apr 14, 2017 2:06 am
Who says it's weight that needs to be dropped?
At 12 percent body fat the only thing I'm going to drop is a drop kick to your head!
Thanks for the informative post idiot.
:nono: :lol: 8)

stenner
Medium Poster
Gear: none
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby stenner » Fri Apr 14, 2017 3:27 am

Sorry, I'm glad I'm not a little jockey boy.

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Kamikuza » Fri Apr 14, 2017 5:55 am

stenner wrote:
Fri Apr 14, 2017 3:27 am
Sorry, I'm glad I'm not a little jockey boy.
:thumb:

I'd be glad to be average height, weight and shoe size. Makes life difficult . . . especially here, where the biggest shoe size is US11.

And 15 knots would feel like 20 :D

Peert
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kijkduin, IJmuiden, Schellinkhout, Wijk aan Zee, Marina, Mirns.
Style: Freeride
Gear: Best Roca 4m, Naish Boxer 6 and 9m, GA Pure 8m Naish Trip 10m, Gong strutless 11m Modded Waroo 14m.
Mako 135x38 Mako 140x40 & Mako King 165x45, Crazyfly Bulldozer, T40 Moses Vorace Hydrofoil + Gong Wings

Postby Peert » Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:35 am

stenner wrote:
Fri Apr 14, 2017 2:06 am
Who says it's weight that needs to be dropped?
At 12 percent body fat the only thing I'm going to drop is a drop kick to your head!
Thanks for the informative post idiot.
Mr universe. Thanks for the apologies you made later....
I apologize for the implicit assumption your body fat was above 12%.

But still, it can be a choice to go through life with less bodymass. Not bad for both kitesurfing and longevity.

JB Chicago
Rare Poster
Gear: Cabrinha 14m SB
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby JB Chicago » Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:00 pm

Glad I found this thread. I'm 225lbs (102kg).
Has anyone in my weight range tried a North Spike Textreme? My only experience is on a Liquid Force Edge (total crap), and the boards at JTProcenter (The North kite academy in the Grenadines). Textreme seems like quality, but really expensive. I could get up so much faster on any North board than on my Edge, and their "beginner" boards 153 and 162 Spikes were by far the best for me out of what they had (North only).

Anyone selling some of the used boards listed in this thread?
Tronic
King Gee
Vanguard
Crazy fly LTD or Elite

Also, has anyone around 100kg/ 220lbs used the Cabrinha Contra 17m, or the North Juice 18m? How do they compare to the Fat Lady? Anyone selling a Fat Lady?

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Kamikuza » Mon May 01, 2017 2:54 am

JB Chicago wrote:
Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:00 pm
Glad I found this thread. I'm 225lbs (102kg).
Has anyone in my weight range tried a North Spike Textreme? My only experience is on a Liquid Force Edge (total crap), and the boards at JTProcenter (The North kite academy in the Grenadines). Textreme seems like quality, but really expensive. I could get up so much faster on any North board than on my Edge, and their "beginner" boards 153 and 162 Spikes were by far the best for me out of what they had (North only).

Anyone selling some of the used boards listed in this thread?
Tronic
King Gee
Vanguard
Crazy fly LTD or Elite

Also, has anyone around 100kg/ 220lbs used the Cabrinha Contra 17m, or the North Juice 18m? How do they compare to the Fat Lady? Anyone selling a Fat Lady?
I tried a Vanguard, loved it and bought a Limited because carbon fiber :D

The Crazy Fly (?) I rode last week felt draggy and slow, and the pads were too small.

Channels are where it's at...
Last edited by Kamikuza on Mon May 01, 2017 6:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

lovethepirk
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Almost air tacking on hydrofoil...
Gear: Delta Race Hydrofoil, 15m SS Turbine, 12m Switchblade, 9m Switchblade

Postby lovethepirk » Mon May 01, 2017 3:58 am

I'm 210 ride a 16/17m all the time....and never wanted anything less than my 145x43 tronic. I also own a 160x41 slingshot glide which is an absolute weapon in light wind. I know width is paramount, but this board is fairly flat and is square so it cranks upwind.

Doing tricks in light wind can be really entertaining with a squared off light wind board though because it is so hard to get a good carve sometimes so shit goes all wrong and you learn to correct it mid air and it looks sloppy but fun... :jump:

vol
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Tarifa Spain
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa Spain, Prassonisi Rhodes, Brazil Taiba-Cumbucu-Paracuru
Style: hydrofoil, bigair, freestyle
Gear: Saul Custom Boards

Postby vol » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:15 am

Hi guys!

Saul Custom boards are customized and adapted to the riders, we can make not only your size, but stiffness and many other parameters.
Feel free to contact www.saulcustom.com

fluidity
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Weight: 115kg
Local Beach: Ngati Toa, Plimmerton, Titahi Bay, Waikanae, Petone, Seatoun, Lyall Bay, Eastbourne, Lake Wairarapa
Favorite Beaches: Plimmerton
Style: Wave, jump
Gear: Transitioned from Kiting to Wingsurfing late 2019. Building my own foils from my CAD designs and 3D prints, CNC machine.
Brand Affiliation: Designer of hydrofoils and many other things.

Postby fluidity » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:37 am

It was ocean rodeo mako video and reviews that inspired me to design my board, I developed my own CAD surface which is has a bit more concave and a bit more rocker but it's done well for me. I'm anywhere from 90 to 100kg and 1500x450 works great for me. I can kite up wind when there's just enough to keep a heavy 14 meter kite in the air. Mako King would work great for you. It's about 5-6kg which will eat a bit of the chop and the shape helps too. Carving, cutting hard up wind, easy on these semi elliptical high concave boards. Don't go too big on the fins, they don't need much. Only use of the fins is to help the board cut up wind when you aren't using the middle side of the board, helps get a better angle for riding over chop if you have some fin at which ever end is at the back.

flyingcamel
Medium Poster
Local Beach: sandy hook
Style: all rounder
Gear: gin zulu3 13m, 9m
ocean rodeo flite gen 3 17m, 12m, 10m
flite gen 4 14.5
OR razor gen 6 12m, 10m
flysurfer peak1 9m, peak2 6m
cabrina stylus 165
slingshot dialer
slingshot alien air MHL Lift hydrofoil
cabrinha ace 139

Postby flyingcamel » Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:04 pm

as some others have suggested, I would think venturing into looking at surfboards would be a good option for your size and future ocean plans. Surfboards have amazing range second only to foils on water and become very fun once you've past the learning curve of transitions and changing your feet. the volume and surface area really helps carry you through luls in lighter wind and when it picks up to 20, then fun little swells start to form unless you only ride a flat shallow area. if thats the case then ill reccomend the Shinn King Gee for fun jumps and decent rocker and shape, or a mako king for amazing grip and some of the best turns you can make. almost any other twin thats not light wind specific will have you underpowered until your at the top of the wind range of your kite. if you are going for a standard twin then the misfit 146 aint too bad but you can not go lower than that size. the tronic or mako 145cm would be too small for you because the shape and rocker of that board makes it run a size smaller than other more traditional shaped twins. you would at least need the 150cm.

Return to “Kitesurfing”