Gear: Zeeko spitfire
F one diablo 6.4 and 8
Flysurfer sonic 2 11, 13, 18
Elf Joker 15
Brand Affiliation: None

New manufacturer for European customers: RLboards variofoil first impressions

Postby haare » Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:39 pm

Review RLBOARDS variofoil
I decided to buy RLboards variofoil. I couldn't find much info of it but the design looked ok. I had heard lot of good things about their twintips before.
So what do you get? Price is about the lowest of the market. Their biggest reseller kitesyndikat.de sells it complete with board for 1000.
Disclaimer: I had foil fish before. I found it quite jerky. I can foil ok with boat. With kite I have tried 3-4 times. We have very gusty inland lake winds. I have no connection to RLboards. I prefer quality materials over brand. I don't normally write any reviews.
About the board:
I wanted the splitboard. They told me it is not ready yet. That they are still testing it. However they offered an early version if I wanted to try it. Weight is 4800 grams with 2 straps (normal board is less, around 4000 grams). So you can choose your print design from wide collection. I went with wood style. It looks great. It feals very stiff (which is what you want) and has only a little flex to it. It is bit thicker than their twintips.
It was amazing compared to my foil fish. Because it is twintip construction it has no flotation (same as cabrinha double agent). This makes it very easy to waterstart. This is very important especially if you want to go strapless some day. It is relatively big too 149x44cm. It has plenty of rocker. So when you go too high and come down it helps a lot. It planes also very easy on the surface of the water. I found planing very hard with LF foil fish.
Unfortunately I got only 1 session. After 3 hours with 60cm mast the split connection broke down. However when I contacted RLboards they replied within 2 hours (on Saturday :D) that do I want money back or normal board plus change. I opted for normal board which I should get in around a week. Normal board should be very durable (twintip construction).

Regular board has both Y strap and 2 strap configuration. Balance was very nice. I had middle setting with straps and foil was in the back holes. This was good for beginning because it does not foil easy. Once I progress I am going to move the foil to the front holes.

About the Foil
It is all aluminium construction and wings are G10. So it should be very durable. Weight: 90cm mast and light wind front wing 3512 grams. WOW that is very light. It has many different holes for different boards. However you need to either make them bigger or buy new set of screws to mount this to any surfboard style board (screws are too short for thick board).

It resembles Zeeko standard foil a lot. And that is great. It is far more stable than my foil fish thanks to longer frontwing, backfinn and longer fuselage.
it is very efficient compared to my foil fish. In 6 knots I managed to foil as long as I could keep my foil kite in the air.
You can get spare parts very economically. So you can have shorter mast for lakes/shallow areas and different wings for different wind conditions.
Overall:
This foil is hands down better than Liquid force foil fish and also in the same price range. I will write more once I have had chance to try it few more times. I highly recommend it for European customers. They are also produced within EU and you have amazing customer service if something goes wrong.
I cannot wait to get my new board to try it again. I progressed more in one session with this foil than I had progressed in all my LF Foil fish sessions 3-4 combined. I managed surface turns and toe side riding for the first time!
Feel free to ask questions. You can find more pictures in https://goo.gl/photos/gLL6p2byLRCBwkQ59

haare
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Lahti, Finland
Favorite Beaches: Egypt - Marsa Alam
Style: Hydrofoil
F one diablo 6.4 and 8
Elf Joker 15

Re: New manufacturer for European customers: RLboards variofoil first impressions

Postby haare » Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:20 pm

I got today the new board (free of charge). It looks very nice. Measures 149x47cm. weights 4100 strapless and with 3 stap configuration 4500grams. Total weight with 60cm mast and light wind wing is 7.9 kg. The board is very stiff and feels like it is ready to take beating if needed. It looks great too.
Last edited by haare on Fri Apr 28, 2017 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

downunder
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: building my own

Re: New manufacturer for European customers: RLboards variofoil first impressions

Postby downunder » Fri Apr 28, 2017 2:08 am

Kiitos

Not many kiters from Suomi :)

Enjoj

haare
Medium Poster
F one diablo 6.4 and 8
Elf Joker 15

Postby haare » Sat Apr 29, 2017 2:32 pm

Report about the board:

I was out today with 60cm mast and lightwind front wing. Conditions were typical to our lake 6m/s and gusts up to 10 m/s. I was out with 11m sonic fr foil kite.

Pros:
Very easy to get your feet on the board because of neutral bouancy.
When you get too high and front wing breathes air it is very easy to touch lightly on water and bounce back (pronounced rocker line near nose of the board).
Both 2 strap and 3 strap options

Cons
Lack of volume makes waterstart in marginal wind very hard for beginner. You need quite a lot of wind to get going if you keep the board on water surface.

About the foil
60cm is very nice for beginner. It makes learning new things so much easier.
You can definitely go faster with light wind wing than with Liquid force foil fish. It is very stable in moderate speed. Carving is nice and smooth.
Bolts are not the same sturdy quality as with liquid force. I needed to tighten them after 2 sessions. They were quite loose. With LF this never happened.
Atleast my foil with 60cm mast is completely silent.
Session:
Well I managed to foil most of the time. This was first time for me with waves (well read choppy conditions). It took first half of the session to learn to go up and down so that the nose of the boad does not dive below water with breaking waves. This was great practise for controlling the board. Turns were tricky with gusty conditions. I managed to do few heel to toeside turns and some toe to heelside turns. Crashed a lot. Mostly managed to keep my legs on the board though (straps help a lot).

Definitely not ready for the longer mast yet. Some people here say that you don't need shorter masts. However it depends a lot where you kite. If you have constant wind I guess you can progress to 90cm in a day or two. However if you foil in lake conditions you definitely benefit from the shorter mast. It takes time to learn to cope with +100% gusts. Atleast for me. And I think I am not the slowest to progress. It is just slower when the conditions are tricky.

With 60cm you can foil most of the time and touch and continue when you get too much speed. If I would buy again I would probably buy 70cm and 100cm. Extra 10cm would help a lot in waves.

Big thanks for pics to our local societys photographist!

faklord
Frequent Poster

Postby faklord » Fri May 05, 2017 10:28 am

Can't see the images?

peterkitesyndikat
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Loissin Germany
Favorite Beaches: Elgouna Club Paradisio egypt
Style: foiling
Gear: RL Variofoil
Brand Affiliation: RL. F- One
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby peterkitesyndikat » Sat May 06, 2017 9:19 am

Hi I'm Peter from Kitesyndikat.de.
The distributor of RL Variofoil and RL kiteboards. for a lot of Europaen countries. First time here. Excuse my English, but it's more than 50 years ago I learned
at school.Just switching my website to English, so everybody can get informed. Some days and it will be finished.
Coming back from testing a Super Light Wind wing with 70cm widt. I was really astonished about the windrange.It was so easy in about 8 ktn as well with a 10m kite or even a 6 m .
So we decide to produce shortly.
I tested also 105 cm Mast. First time up I was shocked about the heigh. Honestly, that's nothing for me. Tooo high. I will stay with 70 or 90.
Enclosed you will find some pics from weekend. Hope you'll like them. Taken at Lake Necranica CS

Take care and safe rides

Peter
foil5 - Kopie.jpg
foil5 - Kopie.jpg (22.56 KiB) Viewed 3072 times
foil4 - Kopie.jpg
foil4 - Kopie.jpg (22.61 KiB) Viewed 3072 times
foil7 - Kopie.jpg
foil7 - Kopie.jpg (29.91 KiB) Viewed 3072 times
foil3 - Kopie.jpg
foil3 - Kopie.jpg (20.44 KiB) Viewed 3072 times

haare
Medium Poster
F one diablo 6.4 and 8
Elf Joker 15

Postby haare » Sat May 06, 2017 1:14 pm

I tried today 90cm mast for the first time. Conditions were very sketchy, +100% gusts. Not nearly as forgiving. It makes the foil lot more alive. Waterstarts and turns are a lot more difficult.

So I am very happy I bought also the short mast. it is
+lighter
+makes keeping the angle to the foilboard a lot easier. If you tilt against the board you have more time to correct this before it is too late.
+ 60cm is plenty in flat or small chop conditions.
+ It is so much more steady because the distance to the front wing is less.
+ I can fit it to my car

Advantages of the longer mast:
+It makes going upwind easier
+helps when waves
- cannot fit to my car attached to my board
+ gives you more room when needed.

I am not sure whether I go back to my 60cm mast or continue with the longer mast. Maybe I try it atleast once more.

peterkitesyndikat
Rare Poster

Postby peterkitesyndikat » Sat May 06, 2017 4:40 pm

It is just a question of time to feel save at 90 mast.
But, I can tell you that I prefere also 60 or 70 cm mast,
if wave conditions don't make it necessary to use 90 cm

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Sat May 06, 2017 5:07 pm

peterkitesyndikat wrote:
Sat May 06, 2017 4:40 pm
It is just a question of time to feel save at 90 mast.
But, I can tell you that I prefere also 60 or 70 cm mast,
if wave conditions don't make it necessary to use 90 cm

I would postulate the exact opposite - in wave conditions an even longer mast makes a lot of sense.

If your board touch the surface ever so slightly when riding waves, everything is "lost" IMO :naughty:

Unless you got perfect smooth waves with lots of space between, then you might be able to get away with a short mast okay...
But this hardly ever happens, at least only very rare :D

If you are jumping and want to rotate and so on - which you do I can see on the great pics, YES, a short mast makes sense (or a light one) because of less swing weight.
But in waves, I can see no advantages of the short one, only downsides.

8) PF

peterkitesyndikat
Rare Poster

Postby peterkitesyndikat » Sat May 06, 2017 5:57 pm

@Pf
May be my English is not OK but that's what I wanted to say. With waves 90 cm.

Return to “Hydrofoil”