Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

DSD Stallion 5'4 - anyone rode it?

Forum for kitesurfers
omg
Very Frequent Poster

DSD Stallion 5'4 - anyone rode it?

Postby omg » Sat May 20, 2017 9:37 pm

Looking for a strong strapless surfboard for freestyle. I am only interested in this board, and the 5'4 size.

Anyone who has ridden the board who could provide any feedback on it, please?
I am 80 kg and 190cm tall hnce the size. How is th durability and what about the other qualities, early planing, board speed, easy take-off for jumps?

Thanks!

salvino
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Eastern end of Lake Erie
Favorite Beaches: Barbados
Hatteras
Lakes Erie and Ontario
Gear: Stallion SB
Moses 633,590,500 HF
Temavento board
Grooveskate board
Airush Ultra, North Neo 5,7,9
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: DSD Stallion 5'4 - anyone rode it?

Postby salvino » Sun May 21, 2017 12:23 am

I have the 5'2" and am 90kg working on strapless airs. Last board was Vader. I have it with wax. Zero pads.

The thing is f ing amazing! Litterally jumps out on water like a stallion. Now I understand the name. Spot on.
I've had it out 6 times and have landed no grab backrolls. Never before!

Note their recommendation re size cause I need no bigger. I ride Great Lakes and only had 5 footers but that size could handle much more. It surfs incredibly and even learning backside chop hops I'm staying well upwind.

Incredible!

FYI I think they have V2 coming out. Can't imagine it's worse. My poor Vader sits in my gym. And I love that board!

Let me know any specific questions.
I told all my buddies to order this as it is red hot (actually yellow)

nicor
Frequent Poster
Been thanked: 0

Postby nicor » Sun May 21, 2017 3:38 pm

I rode my buddies 5 2 the other day, lake chop and small waves, 25-35 kts (a couple of gusts into the 40s)

Holy moly, I have to say I was really impressed with board. I have a bad knee so I'm sensitive to a board the bounces through chop, but this board was the boss. I think it's the smoothest surfboard I've ever used through chop.

My current setup is a 5 9 Roberts black punt in the hydroflex construction and It's pretty good in chop but still a little figity. Compared to the stallion my Roberts is lighter and turns much better, but it's set up as a thruster vs the stallion that was set up in quad. But the stallion tracked much better, probably due to the quad, straight rails, heavier weight and bottom shape. Don't get me wrong the stallion is not a heavy board, just heavier than my Roberts.

I'm not a great jumper, but I hit a few and I can confirm it jumps well. I would say better than my Roberts.

Waves - Can't really comment, but I tried to slash a few small waves. It certainly carries better speed than my Roberts. The nose has a ton of flip, I don't think it would ever pearl. I think it would work well in bigger stuff, but the roberts would probably be the better choice here for Turning and controlling speed.

Construction seemed really solid. It had no heel dents or anything, and the guy who owns the board jumps like an animal. My Roberts had serious heel dents after one use, but I like the dents actually.

I did something I don't usually do after one ride and called my local kite shop that is carrying them as it was such a nice board. They are out and putting in an order soon. As asked about sizing too. I'm about 80 kg and they recommended the 5 2 over the 5 4 with knowing my riding style. But I'd still like to try the 5 4.

omg
Very Frequent Poster

Postby omg » Sun May 21, 2017 5:10 pm

Thanks very much for the feedback, guys.

Thing is that here we don't get 30plus knots days that often, therefore I would like to maximize the early planing and pop etc in the low wind range hence the question abt the largest size, 5'4. It would be great if someone has tested the 5'4 or even better, could compare the 5'2 and 5'4.

WMFG
Medium Poster
Style: Strapless
Gear: WMFG, Mystic, Naish, Amundson, Firewire
Brand Affiliation: WMFG Founder
Has thanked: 0

Postby WMFG » Mon May 22, 2017 2:11 pm

I have the 5'4. I am about 95kg and despite not having ridden the 5'2" I feel confident saying get the 5'2" the 5'4" is on the upper side of what I like to ride, and I've typically been a big board small kite guy (despite my girth).

omg
Very Frequent Poster

Postby omg » Tue May 23, 2017 7:09 am

Thanks, I'm confused but on a higher level :o

I really believed that the 5'4 would clearly be my size, but everyone here is suggesting the 5'2. I have 5'4 HB Anti (around 18,5" wide), but doesn't not have such a wide tail and nose as Stallion. Then more of Stallion's outline I have 5'2 Naish Skater 5'2 (17,25" width) and Sunnova 5'4 x 19,375" and actually the Sunova is not a bad board at all for strapless freestyle. I just would like to get one board for travelling and normal riding so I could sell some of these other boards, but I don't want to loose the low end and also for my length (190cm / 6'3) I think 5'4 would be the key, but really not sure after all the comments :jump: 24 liters of 5'4 does not sound too excessive, but who knows?

It would be so great to test these two boards, but no possibility :(

ulx
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: St. Peter-Ording, Germany
Favorite Beaches: Klitmøller (Denmark) and South Africa
Style: Strapless Surf- and Foilboard
Gear: Slingshot SST 8,7,6,5
Firewire Vader
Ketos Foil with Kakoo board 108x44

Postby ulx » Wed May 24, 2017 1:38 am

Why don't you ask DSD directly? I have good experience with that with other companies.

jespin4845
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Worth, FL
Jupiter, FL
Style: Freeride/surf
Gear: kites and boards

Postby jespin4845 » Wed May 24, 2017 1:43 am

Strapless airs ur #1 goal = 5'2
Surfing waves #1 = 5'4

WMFG
Medium Poster
Style: Strapless
Gear: WMFG, Mystic, Naish, Amundson, Firewire
Brand Affiliation: WMFG Founder
Has thanked: 0

Postby WMFG » Wed May 24, 2017 4:26 am

jespin4845 wrote:
Wed May 24, 2017 1:43 am
Strapless airs ur #1 goal = 5'2
Surfing waves #1 = 5'4
I think that's reasonable.

I still think at your weight got 5'2"

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Flyboy » Wed May 24, 2017 4:10 pm

So, aside from strapless airs, how does the Stallion compare with a Vanguard for all-round use - lowend, chop, driving jibes, smaller waves, larger waves etc.?

Return to “Kitesurfing”