Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

The lightest snappiest surfboard for overhead waves?

Forum for kitesurfers
mede
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Weight: 72 kg dry
Local Beach: Lake Geneva
Favorite Beaches: Sri Lanka West Coast, Marsa Alam, Cape Verde, Tarifa, Beauduc, Corpus Christi, Ceara
Style: Foil, Strapless surf, Big Air
Gear: Kite:> Tomo Vader 5.1 HE & KS MariMacho board,
Gong YpraS Foils,
Pansh Kestrel, Kauper Falcon, Blade Trigger kites.
Wing:> Amos Shapes Sultan Custom board,
Gong YpraS + Ypra Surf Foils,
Gong UPE Aramid Droid & Neutra Wings
Brand Affiliation: none

Re: The lightest snappiest surfboard for overhead waves?

Postby mede » Sun Jul 02, 2017 8:52 am

as @knotwindy says, try the FW Vader. Personally, I would go for the kite version, because you will end up jumping it ;) , and double overhead is not too light on the material either :D

alfredo68
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Style: wave
Gear: blade AR wave
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby alfredo68 » Sun Jul 02, 2017 12:57 pm

What about Celeritas 5 8" or 5 2" compare to all these???

flyingfishza
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Global mostly caribbean and south africa
Favorite Beaches: gonubie reef
Style: Wave
Gear: pivot
Brand Affiliation: Kitesurf hooks

Postby flyingfishza » Sun Jul 02, 2017 1:19 pm

Some suggestions i had not considered, thank you.

Looked at the HB octo a while ago, really like the look of it, not sure if it is my aversion to spending to much time on line but actually find it pretty hard to "buy" these boards online or find a dealer.
No response from Airush south africa on inquiries either , their website doesnt seem to have been updated since 2015.

One would think for a retail plus p&p cost of around $1500 some direct selling should be available.

My go to board for a couple of years now have been the Fw vangaurd, been spending most time in bigger surf on a timbertek FW spitfire.(yes, its way to fast at times but am generally underpowered kitewise)
While I love the spitfire I am always holding back a bit due to it not being a kite construction and it being my favourite paddle surfboard.
So while I agree that just buying a high performance epoxy paddle surfboard is a option I have a bit of cash to burn and have a little treat myself need to get the best lightest strongest performance board that is currently created.
I believe the tech is already here it is just a question of who has managed to push the tech while maintaining structural stability.

Thanks for the suggestions again, some homework to do.

BigZ
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Central California Coast
Favorite Beaches: Jalama Beach
Style: Surf
Gear: Wave kites,
Surfboards, surfboards, and more surfboards ...

Did I say surfboards ?
Has thanked: 0

Postby BigZ » Sun Jul 02, 2017 4:52 pm

In that case get yourself a custom optimized for you and your conditions.

This is what I did and I am never going back to production boards

http://kazumasurfboards.com

flyingfishza wrote:
Sun Jul 02, 2017 1:19 pm
Some suggestions i had not considered, thank you.

Looked at the HB octo a while ago, really like the look of it, not sure if it is my aversion to spending to much time on line but actually find it pretty hard to "buy" these boards online or find a dealer.
No response from Airush south africa on inquiries either , their website doesnt seem to have been updated since 2015.

One would think for a retail plus p&p cost of around $1500 some direct selling should be available.

My go to board for a couple of years now have been the Fw vangaurd, been spending most time in bigger surf on a timbertek FW spitfire.(yes, its way to fast at times but am generally underpowered kitewise)
While I love the spitfire I am always holding back a bit due to it not being a kite construction and it being my favourite paddle surfboard.
So while I agree that just buying a high performance epoxy paddle surfboard is a option I have a bit of cash to burn and have a little treat myself need to get the best lightest strongest performance board that is currently created.
I believe the tech is already here it is just a question of who has managed to push the tech while maintaining structural stability.

Thanks for the suggestions again, some homework to do.

naishdude
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Holland
Spain
Danemark
France
Favorite Beaches: everywhere at the seaside, where it is allowed to kite
Style: cruising& wave
Gear: Airush Sector 54 V5, Cypher5'8 active, compact 5'6, Compact5'5 active, Limit Waves custom 5'6
Ozone reo V5 12 9 7 5
Brand Affiliation: none

Postby naishdude » Sun Jul 02, 2017 6:02 pm

flyingfishza wrote:
Sun Jul 02, 2017 1:19 pm
S

try here ,;:=)) scroll down the page

http://airush.co.za/say-hello/

knotwindy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: baja, gorge
Style: erratic to none
Gear: yes, I use gear

Postby knotwindy » Sun Jul 02, 2017 6:54 pm

The Vader has more rocker than the Vanguard so tighter turns and easier to stay where you want. Haven't tried the Evo yet so no idea about it but yea, kite construction if you want it to last.

longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Master Baiter. Oracle of windsport.
Gear: 2 sets of Flysurfer VMGs 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 15, 18. Foilboards ( Masts 75 90 110 125 Wings 880 950 1100 1350 1750) all with Ronix Ones attached. Soon to retire to Wingfoiling.

Postby longwhitecloud » Sun Jul 02, 2017 9:57 pm

the options are soooo huge, 1000 times more surfboard shapes than kitesurfboard shapes and can use them both - at least get one made in a kite construction...

I like small boards for kiting - far smaller than i can surf.. i would surf a 5''4 x 18 1/2 if was able to. lighter because smaller..

the options are insane - i dont think may people have actually tried many different surfboards in many different conditions for kiting to know.

super light boards rule! shame they usually end up snapping but u pay to play.

Bushflyr
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: OR Razor 7m
Caution Spitfire 9m, 10m
Firewire Vanguard 5' 4"
Naish Global 5' 10"
Shinn Monk
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Bushflyr » Sun Jul 02, 2017 10:32 pm

longwhitecloud wrote:
Sun Jul 02, 2017 9:57 pm
I like small boards for kiting - far smaller than i can surf.. i would surf a 5''4 x 18 1/2 if was able to. lighter because smaller..
If you do that there's no point in riding a surfboard. You don't have the surface area to catch and surf the waves, you're no longer kitesurfing, you're kiteboarding in the surf. Nothing wrong with that style, but there are much better boards for doing that than an undersized, fragile, surfboard.

longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Master Baiter. Oracle of windsport.
Gear: 2 sets of Flysurfer VMGs 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 15, 18. Foilboards ( Masts 75 90 110 125 Wings 880 950 1100 1350 1750) all with Ronix Ones attached. Soon to retire to Wingfoiling.

Postby longwhitecloud » Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:58 am

hmm, nutcase KS rides down to a 5'3 which is prob like a 5'6 (has bit of rounded nose) - even at cloudbreak!

Sure if you are dealing with fat /smaller waves definitely advise something that will plane you through the less steep sections, and no stupid fish tail super wide non turning crap though - i rode a few of those big kite brand short wide kiteboards - pretty gross for wave riding - awesome for getting upwind and less bouncy in chop - perfect for many riders.

I was riding a 4'11 (like a grom board!) on my last session (3 months ago - quite a few more to go till my next!) - can absolutely smash the face to bits with it no problem. If i could paddle surf on a suitable steep day it i would. The advice about kiting the same size board as you surf, that Ben Wilson used to say, doesn't ring true for me.

i rode a global for a while - wasfun but a bit heavy - seemed to really be designed for hawaii type waves - big, steep, and very fast - found it has to do snappy turns on - a slight gun influenced I reckon.

nicor
Frequent Poster
Been thanked: 0

Postby nicor » Mon Jul 03, 2017 1:23 pm

Ha this can go on and on...everyone got their fav and there is no right answer.

What I can confirm is that the Airush active carbon are very light and super strong. My cousin has the 2013 compact in this construction and while some paint chipped off it is still pretty much perfect and he rides it hard (massive jumps and pretty big waves). The only thing is that I'm not crazy about the feeling through the water, I prefer PU boards, but they just don't last (never seen or tried a Lloyd). However I've gone through three boards vs his Compact! I just saw a new Airush compact in the flesh the other day and it looks really nice in the flesh.

I've got a stallion on order. I love they way it runs through the water, but a little concerned about the durability.

Return to “Kitesurfing”