Gear: TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 110
Gong Veloce M, 100cm carbon mast
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: New foil from Ozone

Postby TomW » Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:49 pm

I'd also like to here about the low end. Currently I'm using a north Mono 12 in 12-16 knots, lulls to 10. Works fine. Less than that the lulls are 8 knots and I'm struggling.
I've never flown a foil kite.

Frank Rosin
Very Frequent Poster
Style: wave & hydrofoil
Gear: Moses hydrofoils, Ozone kites, Dynabar sliding hook + a lot of other gear for fun and testing, e.g. Levitaz, Zeeko, AXIS, HB ....
Brand Affiliation: www.famousfrank.com
Has thanked: 0

Postby Frank Rosin » Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:13 pm

TomW wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:49 pm
I'd also like to here about the low end. Currently I'm using a north Mono 12 in 12-16 knots, lulls to 10. Works fine. Less than that the lulls are 8 knots and I'm struggling.
I've never flown a foil kite.
I can use the 9m HL below 10 knots if needed in lulls.
I am around 85kg.
The 12m HL works well below 10 knots.
But of course the lower it gets the more important is the riding and flying technique to get the most out of what the kite can deliver.
The great thing about the HL is that it gives a lot of confidence to try to go lower as it is relaunching well (the best kite I ever tried regarding this) and in case it does not work out for whatever reason, it will be quite easy to pack down to swim back (did not have to actually try yet as it always relaunched well, sometimes even after a few minutes untangling and waiting for the next gust, while swimming).

I am impressed by the HL, almost every session a bit more. Such a simple kite yet so much to offer to my riding.

It is the first foilkite I am using that I have no problem to give to tube only riders to try without all that much instructions.

Cheers Frank
www.famousfrank.com

Frank Rosin
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Moses hydrofoils, Ozone kites, Dynabar sliding hook + a lot of other gear for fun and testing, e.g. Levitaz, Zeeko, AXIS, HB ....

Postby Frank Rosin » Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:01 pm

early bird2
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Lake Champlain
Favorite Beaches: Magdalen Island , Baja
Style: freeride
Gear: Ozone , North

Postby early bird2 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:07 am

Frank , did you experiment with drift launch , if yes , how did you rig your kite and bar ? Also , any light air relaunches in deep water so far ?
I have a 12 in hand but no downwind room for safety while practicing drift launch . I think many things could go wrong so I will wait for the water level to drop .

Frank Rosin
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Frank Rosin » Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:18 am

early bird2 wrote:
Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:07 am
Frank , did you experiment with drift launch , if yes , how did you rig your kite and bar ? Also , any light air relaunches in deep water so far ?
I have a 12 in hand but no downwind room for safety while practicing drift launch . I think many things could go wrong so I will wait for the water level to drop .
No initial drift launch tried yet, but water relaunch in low winds quite a few times, even after minutes in the water while swimming.
So far 100% for me. It won't stay like this forever I am sure, but it is still the best I experienced to date, the situations I already had included some that would have been game over on other foils and some that would have been game over on tube kites.
Key is mainly staying calm and avoid getting hectic, to be able to just do the right thing at the right time, even if it may take a little longer in some situations.
I can only report about my personal experience here and I am impressed.

Cheers Frank
www.famousfrank.com

early bird2
Medium Poster

Postby early bird2 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:49 pm

Sounds good to me . Do you feel it would have been better in a UL version ?
The canopy looks similar to the winter's foils , not very different from the V2 . I never had Flysurfers so can't compare . I'm going to use it 70 percent snow and 30 percent water . Unless I become very confident with drift launch .
Anyway , this is my goal for the next couples days to experiment differents ways to drift launch , beginning in lights winds .I'll be back with the results .

pitbulldoug
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Fortaleza,Cumbuco,Uruau,CE Brasil Ventura Co.California
Style: Wave and foil
Gear: Naish Kites/Wings,ASD surfboards Fortaleza CE Brasil,Kalama supfoil, MHL kitefoil,GoFoil surffoils,Scrivy Surfboards CA.Axis foils,Camet winging boards,Starboard/Airush Wings

Postby pitbulldoug » Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:44 pm

Never thought I'd post in a foil kite forum here but here I am.Im a avid tube kite fan for well over a decade mainly foiling these days, must say this HL is got my curiosity going of maybe just maybe trying a foil kite for foiling I currently have Naish boxers 6m 8m 10m love them very good foil and regular wave kites too,I'm missing a bigger kite 12m range at my home spot for a lot of lower wind days in the 10-12 mph days for foiling, I'm 225lbs big rider usually used to to use a 12m Naish trip which was good for low wind foiling days but looking to replace it and maybe I might consider this HL for lighter days?not familiar with the ranges of this foil kite in comparison to LEI any suggestions on a good size for me, not racing just free ride cruising foiling in smaller surf days with good flat on the outside, just hate to get a foil where you get below 10kts and then picks up a tad and get blown off the water quickly, like I said not familiar with ranges of this kite and certainly don t have much confidence in manufactures suggested ranges, hate to say it but the HL has got me intrigued with simpler bridal configuration from what I see and it's relaunch perhaps this might be the one I try especially for foiling after all these years, any feedback thanks

Frank Rosin
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Frank Rosin » Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:24 pm

early bird2 wrote:
Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:49 pm
Sounds good to me . Do you feel it would have been better in a UL version ?
The canopy looks similar to the winter's foils , not very different from the V2 . I never had Flysurfers so can't compare . I'm going to use it 70 percent snow and 30 percent water . Unless I become very confident with drift launch .
Anyway , this is my goal for the next couples days to experiment differents ways to drift launch , beginning in lights winds .I'll be back with the results .

So far feeling the materials/construction is well balanced and not missing a lighter version.
I will try drift launching too, curious now.

@putbulldoug
The Hyperlink is the first foilkite I have been riding that I would give to almost anybody to try without a lot of special instructions or being a bit worried.
I feel it has a huge windrange and a bigger sweet spot than known from riding tube kites.

Cheers Frank
www.famousfrank.com

early bird2
Medium Poster

Postby early bird2 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:51 pm

First drift launch today , wind 4 to 10 knots , side-off no waves . I could not pre inflate the kite as much as I wanted , lack of steady wind .
So I decided to unwind the lines and give it a try with so little air into the kite . The kite begun to inflate at the first small gust and launched quite easy . In fact , I had more problem to deflate it in the water . The kite kept its air for a very long period . Next try will be in a one foot chop .The worst part to me is to have all the bridles in the water next to my legs .

Now I need to find an 18 meters foil kite that float enough to drift and relaunch like the Hyperlink ???
Last edited by early bird2 on Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rakky
Medium Poster
Gear: North Neo
Been thanked: 0

Postby Rakky » Sat Jul 29, 2017 2:06 am

Using 22 or 24m with 12m Hyperlink, would that easily cover sub 10knots winds with hydrofoil? and what about a surfboard, what wind range will be covered??

Return to “Foil Kites”