New foil from Ozone

For all foil kite riders
borist
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Re: New foil from Ozone

Postby borist » Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:06 am

After some back and forth I pulled the trigger and (with some apprehension) bought HL 12m. Had 4, mostly short sessions with it (with Zeeko Spitfire) in gusty 5 to 12 knots wind with long lulls. I flew FS Sonic FR 11 and Pansh A15 before. My impression of Hyperlink:
The kite is rock stable :thumb: , reluctant to back stall. There was no overflying, which is common at our spot with punchy short gusts. Swimming out in light wind was without typical stress as the kite likes to hang at 12.
Feel on bar :?: . Bar felt spongy on first launch, noticeably worse than FS Sonic. Perhaps this is typical for lower AR foil kites (?). At first I though my lines were out of trim, but no such luck. Bar feel gets better with more power in the kite, but I was a little disappointed at first.
Power. :thumb: While power spike is more subtle compared to racing foil, it is still there when looping to water launch. Power build up is quick but gradual and the same goes for apparent wind power. In comparison my 12m OR Flite feels pretty lame when it comes to apparent wind. HL is in a different category. While I was not able to check the low end so far, my gut feel is that it is equal to Sonic FR 11 or perhaps even little better :o .
Upwind. :thumb: I'm pleasantly surprised it goes upwind great (with HF) despite its lower AR. Much better than my LEIs and just about the same what I could do with Sonic.
Turning. :cry: Well it is no LEI. Long bar is very useful. 52cm Best bar felt a bit short and I found myself reaching for brake line here and there. This should get better with more time on the kite, but I did pull out a 60cm bar out of retirement just make things snappier.
Jumping and hang time :jump: My timing is still off, but ... great?
Relaunch :rollgrin: If you drop it and have time to wait for a puff and not drifting into swim zone as I did, there is no problem. This thing floats like a mattress. The first time I used only one brake line to get it flying again, second time I was in swim zone so I swam :lol: . Fat outline with short wing tips makes it very easy to clear tangle if you manage to create one.

Not sure what else I can add. Just as others mentioned, this kite seems to get better with every session. I am very impressed (and relieved). If I regret anything, than it is that I did not get it before spending money on OR Flite. Perhaps I will find some use for Flite but can't think of one right now.

Regis-de-giens
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 62 kg
Local Beach: France: St Laurent du Var, Cannes, Almanarre
Style: 62 kg , light wind, waves
Gear: Conceptair pulsion 18&15&12S, OR Flite 10m , Airush One 9&6, peak 5M , Rally 6, Elf 11 &7, 19m2 single skin proto.
foil Ketos, RCS Supreme, TBK Mana, snowskis, kite-boat

Postby Regis-de-giens » Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:40 am

Interesting, thanks ;
I noticed as you did that low AR kites have a bit more bar pressure than high AR kites, but still less than LEI IMO. I also like medium AR foilkiltes like HL for all the stability, agility and user-friendly in waves/carving mode, but I am however surprised that you obtained the same upwind angle as the Sonic (or at least at reduced speed, no ?)

Could you please put the kite on a kitchen scale and tell us the weight with bridles but without lines ?

early bird2
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Lake Champlain
Favorite Beaches: Magdalen Island , Baja
Style: freeride
Gear: Ozone , North

Postby early bird2 » Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:31 am

Frank Rosin weighed the 12 : 2244 gr.
I'll put mine on the scale tomorrow .

Frank Rosin
Very Frequent Poster
Style: wave & hydrofoil
Gear: Moses hydrofoils, Ozone kites, Dynabar sliding hook + a lot of other gear for fun and testing, e.g. Levitaz, Zeeko, AXIS, HB ....
Brand Affiliation: www.famousfrank.com

Postby Frank Rosin » Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:27 am

early bird2 wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:31 am
Frank Rosin weighed the 12 : 2244 gr.
I'll put mine on the scale tomorrow .

And I think that was including the paper/cardboard sign that comes attached to the pigtails.
Without it should be about 11g less :)

Hyperlink 12m 2233g
Hyperlink 9m 1822g
Hyperlink 7m 1496

Cheers,
Frank
www.famousfrank.com

Regis-de-giens
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Conceptair pulsion 18&15&12S, OR Flite 10m , Airush One 9&6, peak 5M , Rally 6, Elf 11 &7, 19m2 single skin proto.

Postby Regis-de-giens » Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:15 pm

ok thanks, sorry I had missed Frank information. So not the lighter cloth in the world but should be a good point for robustness and watertightness

Frank Rosin
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Moses hydrofoils, Ozone kites, Dynabar sliding hook + a lot of other gear for fun and testing, e.g. Levitaz, Zeeko, AXIS, HB ....

Postby Frank Rosin » Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:31 pm

Regis-de-giens wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:15 pm
ok thanks, sorry I had missed Frank information. So not the lighter cloth in the world but should be a good point for robustness and watertightness
Exactly, feels well balanced to me and flies very stable in very light winds.
Also having in mind it is designed as an all-terrain kite it makes sense really.

Cheers,
Frank
www.famousfrank.com

borist
Very Frequent Poster

Postby borist » Tue Aug 01, 2017 6:23 pm

Regis-de-giens wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:40 am
Interesting, thanks ;
I noticed as you did that low AR kites have a bit more bar pressure than high AR kites, but still less than LEI IMO. I also like medium AR foilkiltes like HL for all the stability, agility and user-friendly in waves/carving mode, but I am however surprised that you obtained the same upwind angle as the Sonic (or at least at reduced speed, no ?)

Could you please put the kite on a kitchen scale and tell us the weight with bridles but without lines ?
As mentioned above, HL is not UL foil kite. I have not tested its low end abilities yet, just behavior in lulls. As for upwind performance, my GPS watch is dead so my observations were just that, riding same spot and eyeballing the angles. As this was one of my concerns (small area, getting upwind quickly is important) I was pleasantly surprised with the result. I don't believe that HL will beat Sonic upwind, just that for a freerider the difference seems negligible (when powered, underpowered may bring a different result). HL 12 beat angles I was able to get with my A15 12m or my LEI in the similar conditions. Keep in mind, I ride Zeeko Spitfire and it needs more power to be pushed upwind than larger freeride wings.

Regis-de-giens
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Regis-de-giens » Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:43 pm

all that makes sense indeed

early bird2
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Lake Champlain
Favorite Beaches: Magdalen Island , Baja
Style: freeride
Gear: Ozone , North

Postby early bird2 » Wed Aug 02, 2017 4:12 pm

Frank , second drift launch this morning . Not been good at all .... Water got into intakes and the kite became very heavy on one side . Very heavy to get out the water too .
Took a while to dry . I was happy it was not an 18...
I respect very much the ones who can do it in deep water . I need to practice a lot .
My problem was to position in the tacos position , the downwind tips got submerged and drank much water .I'll try to inflate it more next time . Fun is only beginning I guess .

Frank Rosin
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Frank Rosin » Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:08 pm

Interesting. Still need to give full on drift launching a try. No need for me so far really, but will just try it to get to know more about it.
I can only say that the Hyperlink keeps impressing me, now after the 12m and 9m also the 7m.
It handles gusty and super gusty conditions very well. When I normally opted for a tube kite or would have wished to be using a tube kite... not anymore.
Also water relaunch remains at 100% for me. A few situations would have been game over with other kites before, with other foils, but also with tube kites in some cases.

Cheers,
Frank
www.famousfrank.com

Return to “Foil Kites”