Gear: Nothing Yet
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Help/recommendations buy first kitesurf gear set

Postby LetsFlyaKite » Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:12 pm

jocol wrote:
Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:18 am
Hey guys! Thanks for your opinions! I knew my question of new vs used was difficult, but didnt expect it would bring such a "warm" discussion! :D
But thats why forums like this are here, right?

So, based on what I read I have decided to buy a new one! (good points from both sides, but thats my decision)
Any brand that you recommend?
And for each brand, any specific model more suitable for beginners? Or a "all round" model should be good for me?

Again, thanks for all your comments!!

Thats great, and when you start a new thread in a year because you figured out your riding style, asking what other brand you should buy. I am going to be laughing. But have fun buddy, you might be able to get a kite on sale for $1500. And a board for $800 and lessons for $1000!

or6
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1997
Weight: 81
Local Beach: Wijk aan zee, Zandmotor, Hoek and in between
Favorite Beaches: Muriwai NZ, El Medano Tenerife, la Ventana México, Hood River, Portland area, Vancouver Island, Wijk aan Zee, Moulay Bouzerktoun
Style: Waveriding
Gear: RRD Religion 4 meter, 5 and 7 meter Kauper XT Maverick, 9 meter Core GTS6, Ben Wilson Vibe 9, Peter Lynn Phantom v2 9, Appletree Klokhouse Noseless 5'3", Wanted Pure 6'0", Shinn Bronq Heritage, Gong Foil

Postby or6 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:45 pm

I'd like to help you on your board size, but I haven't been on an twintip in four years. Some brands actually give you ranges, like https://www.northkiteboarding.com/produ ... ips/jaime/. No recommendation, just an example.

jocol
Rare Poster
Gear: None

Postby jocol » Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:09 pm

Yes quite different recommendations that I've seen!
But thanks a lot guys :D

Matteo V

Postby Matteo V » Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:02 pm

LetsFlyaKite wrote:
Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:12 pm
And a board for $800
LKF has brought up a good point on this one! Used boards are not like used kites. Twin tips (that you should start out on) are so durable, most of them made now will still be around 50 years from now and still work fine. Sure a few have issues, and anyone who does rails can destroy them, but they just do not wear for beginners like kites do.

So definitely try to save some money on the beginner board you buy, but make sure you get one big enough. Too small a board for a beginner can be frustrating.

But back to the discussion with LFK.....

LetsFlyaKite wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:52 pm
With a little bit of knowlege, that he will probably get later on anyway, he can make an educated decision when buying used gear.
LetsFlyaKite wrote:
Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:24 am
And what experience could a begginer possibly need when buying a used kite?
??????

And sorry to everyone rolling their eyes on LFK and me going back and forth. Some of you may not like LFK, some of you may see me as no different than him, but he has provided me with a near impossible egg to crack with logic and reasoning. From the standpoint of debating from a position of weakness, LFK is a master and much more skilled than I. If I was ever OJ Simpson on trial, I would want LKF defending me, or at least writing a defense strategy. At least I would since Johnnie Cochran is dead now.

LetsFlyaKite
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Aggressive

Postby LetsFlyaKite » Sat Aug 12, 2017 4:37 am

Matteo V wrote:
Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:02 pm
LetsFlyaKite wrote:
Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:12 pm
And a board for $800
LKF has brought up a good point on this one! Used boards are not like used kites. Twin tips (that you should start out on) are so durable, most of them made now will still be around 50 years from now and still work fine. Sure a few have issues, and anyone who does rails can destroy them, but they just do not wear for beginners like kites do.

So definitely try to save some money on the beginner board you buy, but make sure you get one big enough. Too small a board for a beginner can be frustrating.

But back to the discussion with LFK.....

LetsFlyaKite wrote:
With a little bit of knowlege, that he will probably get later on anyway, he can make an educated decision when buying used gear.
LetsFlyaKite wrote:
??????

And sorry to everyone rolling their eyes on LFK and me going back and forth. Some of you may not like LFK, some of you may see me as no different than him, but he has provided me with a near impossible egg to crack with logic and reasoning. From the standpoint of debating from a position of weakness, LFK is a master and much more skilled than I. If I was ever OJ Simpson on trial, I would want LKF defending me, or at least writing a defense strategy. At least I would since Johnnie Cochran is dead now.
I'm just going to leave one last thought with you....

Instead of viewing this as an arguement that you just lost, why not view it as a discussion? You're not wrong, and I'm not wrong. Instead we both have different preferences. You like to spend more money and not worry about repairs, and I like to save money and do my own repairs. It doesn't even matter, so why are we argueing?

Why can't this be a disscussion? Instead of who is better than the other person for what they believe in? Cause in the end it's all about who kites better, and not what kind of equipment you have. We are not little boys, we are grown ass men. Lets live like it.

There's a lot of people on this forum that hate me, and it's all because I am very blunt in the way I talk. I have nothing to hide, if I don't like something or someone then i am going to say it. Some of my best friends I have today all stemmed from a disagreement we had from the beggining. And some of my worst enemies stemmed from being fake from the beggining. I'm not going to pretend like I'm anybodies friend on here, because i'm not. Some of the people at my local beach, I think are a bunch of kooky nerds. Like they have this air about them that just because they kiteboard it makes them cool. And deep down, I wouldn't hang out with them if they were the only people at a party, those are the people I avoid.

I'm just trying to be real on here.

I will keep repairing my own eqiupment till the day I die, cause that's what I do. I like having equipment that is tuned to my riding, and knowing that I made it work.

I don't hold anything against you, and I never said you were ever wrong. I just think from my own personal experience that I am more comfortable getting the lowest deal since I know a lot about kites.

Now lets move on from here and say this was a good discussion.

Matteo V

Postby Matteo V » Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:14 am

The pleasure has been all mine. Let us toast to many a more conversations for the long years ahead.
LetsFlyaKite wrote:
LetsFlyaKite wrote:
??????

LetsFlyaKite
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Aggressive

Postby LetsFlyaKite » Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:27 pm

Matteo V wrote:
Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:14 am
The pleasure has been all mine. Let us toast to many a more conversations for the long years ahead.
LetsFlyaKite wrote:
LetsFlyaKite wrote:
??????
Since you are so persistant at finding out let me clarify...

Knowlege of buying a used kite.

Make sure there are no holes or leaks.
Is the canopy crispy?
Are the attachments worn out?

Other than this,
LetsFlyaKite wrote:
what experience could a begginer possibly need when buying a used kite?

PullStrings
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: LEI's & Surfboards

Postby PullStrings » Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:51 pm

Here i did the shopping for you :D ....12m w/bar 2017 $820.....twintip 139x42 new 2013 $600.....harness medium 2016 $80.....pump $40

Click on Ikitesurf classifieds below

http://c.ikitesurf.com/classifieds/28694

http://c.ikitesurf.com/classifieds/28735

http://c.ikitesurf.com/classifieds/28503

http://c.ikitesurf.com/classifieds/28729

Matteo V

Postby Matteo V » Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:06 pm

LetsFlyaKite wrote:
Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:27 pm
Matteo V wrote:
LetsFlyaKite wrote:
LetsFlyaKite wrote:
??????

Is the canopy crispy?

Other than this,
LetsFlyaKite wrote:
Only took 3 times me posting that logical inconsistency for you to address it! Now I think I have a tool to call you out and shut you down on the confusion you are causing with regards to other posters points as well as your own. Shall we correct your two statements and them make them one? -

"The beginner needs no experience but does need the following the knowledge (which LFK says is not experience related):

Make sure there are no holes or leaks. (the beginner should ask the seller to pump up the kite for 1 hour while they talk about "life and things" before the beginner then checks to see if the kite has lost 2psi? If it loses 1.5psi, how much does that drop the value? Will the beginner only be out for 1 hour at a time so just pump up every hour? What does 7.5 to 9psi feel like? should he buy a grade A test gauge to eliminate pump gauge error? What if no pump gauge?)
Is the canopy crispy? (what is crispy if this is only the third used kite they have looked at and all of them have been tissue paper? Should the beginner buy a LED flashlight to "candle" the canopy at various places to check for perforation? Which kite models/years showed perforation at middle of life and which ones showed perforation at end of life)
Are the attachments worn out? (and check for bridal slider wear, how much wear is worn out - just fuzzed? or wait till there are strands showing?)
What about a bar that comes with the kite? How will a beginner know if the line ends show end of life for the lineset? Is the CL complete or is there a cleat screw missing? Was this a dangerous bar (should look up before visiting with the seller)?"

How could you not call this experience? - I will post this question 3 more times to assert the required persistence for you to cook up an artful answer.

And you still have my support.....along with admiration for polishing that turd of a contradiction. Nicely done!

PullStrings
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: LEI's & Surfboards

Postby PullStrings » Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:17 pm

Matteo V wrote:
Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:06 pm
LetsFlyaKite wrote:
Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:27 pm
Matteo V wrote:

??????

Is the canopy crispy?

Other than this,
LetsFlyaKite wrote:
Only took 3 times me posting that logical inconsistency for you to address it! Now I think I have a tool to call you out and shut you down on the confusion you are causing with regards to other posters points as well as your own. Shall we correct your two statements and them make them one? -

"The beginner needs no experience but does need the following the knowledge (which LFK says is not experience related):

Make sure there are no holes or leaks. (the beginner should ask the seller to pump up the kite for 1 hour while they talk about "life and things" before the beginner then checks to see if the kite has lost 2psi? If it loses 1.5psi, how much does that drop the value? Will the beginner only be out for 1 hour at a time so just pump up every hour? What does 7.5 to 9psi feel like? should he buy a grade A test gauge to eliminate pump gauge error? What if no pump gauge?)
Is the canopy crispy? (what is crispy if this is only the third used kite they have looked at and all of them have been tissue paper? Should the beginner buy a LED flashlight to "candle" the canopy at various places to check for perforation? Which kite models/years showed perforation at middle of life and which ones showed perforation at end of life)
Are the attachments worn out? (and check for bridal slider wear, how much wear is worn out - just fuzzed? or wait till there are strands showing?)
What about a bar that comes with the kite? How will a beginner know if the line ends show end of life for the lineset? Is the CL complete or is there a cleat screw missing? Was this a dangerous bar (should look up before visiting with the seller)?"

How could you not call this experience? - I will post this question 3 more times to assert the required persistence for you to cook up an artful answer.

And you still have my support.....along with admiration for polishing that turd of a contradiction. Nicely done!
My money is on Matteo the grizzly for this fight :cash: :cash: :cash:

Return to “Kitesurfing”