Forum for kitesurfers
RickI
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: SE Florida
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Re: 2018 - Cabrinha Kitesurfing

Postby RickI » Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:11 pm

Thanks for your input Cab Driver both online but more importantly in bringing fun performance gear to market.
2017 was a great year, looking forward to more excellent times and adventures in 2018!
A look back over the last year ...

Here's to good wind and times in 2018!

Attachments
IMG_1664.JPG
IMG_1662.JPG
IMG_1661.JPG

Bartolo
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Local Beach: WIjk aan Zee Netherlands
Style: old school jumping / wave
Gear: Eleveight
Brand Affiliation: Eleveight kites

Postby Bartolo » Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:49 pm

danidr wrote:
Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:30 pm
Bartolo wrote:
Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:10 pm
Cab Driver wrote:
Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:43 pm

The Drifter was launched in 2012 and has forever changed surfing with a kite. 2018 is the first all new Drifter since then. We have been very careful not to screw up the Drifter's special sauce while modernizing the kite. Expect the same amazing slack line drift. The big differences come in noticeably faster steering, a slightly shifted lower wind range (i.e. take slightly smaller size), super light bar feedback (designed on "A" wingtip setting for light bar feel as opposed to previous models), better upwind in the "on-shore" setting (off-shore crushes upwind), and way better freeride performance for jumping, strapless freestyle, etc. You definitely need to try one. Don't underestimate how much better the kite is for freeriding, screwing around on a skimboard, etc.
Hello Cabdriver,
do you know if they did change something to the bar pu-tube diameter so the landingline can't be stuck anymore like in the previous years models?
According to Cabrinha there's no problem with this, the system worked fine... my line kept getting stuck because of user error and declined to fix it. Thankfully my dealer did chip in and sent me the necessary replacements! I'm on my second 2016 bar, since the 2017 had the same problem and I refused to upgrade to a bar with the same issue. If the 2018 has the same problem, I'll just get another 2016 bar at half price.
Yeah, thanks. I know what's Cabrinha policy is up till this year. But I hoped and expected (at least to me it would make sense) they will fix this rather awkward and unsafe design. It's really a pita when you have to reset this system when there is sand into play. No way! And the other day it wouldn t even flag out completely at first. I really had to pull with force on the landing line to make it flag because it kept hanging on the knot.

So I am still interested in CAb driver's reaction. Or if anybody else knows...

Danidr,you say you received replacements. What was replaced and in what way did this fix the problem, if it did?

danidr
Medium Poster
Style: Twintip
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby danidr » Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:19 pm

Bartolo wrote:
Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:49 pm
danidr wrote:
Bartolo wrote:
Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:10 pm

Hello Cabdriver,
do you know if they did change something to the bar pu-tube diameter so the landingline can't be stuck anymore like in the previous years models?
According to Cabrinha there's no problem with this, the system worked fine... my line kept getting stuck because of user error and declined to fix it. Thankfully my dealer did chip in and sent me the necessary replacements! I'm on my second 2016 bar, since the 2017 had the same problem and I refused to upgrade to a bar with the same issue. If the 2018 has the same problem, I'll just get another 2016 bar at half price.
Yeah, thanks. I know what's Cabrinha policy is up till this year. But I hoped and expected (at least to me it would make sense) they will fix this rather awkward and unsafe design. It's really a pita when you have to reset this system when there is sand into play. No way! And the other day it wouldn t even flag out completely at first. I really had to pull with force on the landing line to make it flag because it kept hanging on the knot.

Danidr,you say you received replacements. What was replaced and in what way did this fix the problem, if it did?
The knot gets stuck on the PU tube entrance regardless of sand, a clean bar with clean line+knot still get's stuck cause the plastic stopper makes a "pancake" out of the knot after a few sessions, which is thicker than the entrance. Not sure if the 2017 recalled stopper (when they changed the metal part to the gray plastic again) is any different to the 2016 part and makes a different shape out of the knot, but even then as long as the PU tube entrance is smaller than the metal part that it sticks to, it will rub with the cut of the PU tube which is sharp.

Dealer (MacKite, they're awesome, can't recommend them enough!) sent me the lower bungee line (the one that goes through the tube) and the first part of the front line. Replacing them is fairly easy, I did it myself in 5 minutes and I've never done any fixes on any of my kite equipment apart from screwing bolts on a board :P This was not a fix to the problem, you just get a new line and knot/union that will start fraying with every flagout of the system. The only solution to the problem is not flagging the kite lol

*EDIT: btw the dealer knew exactly what I was telling them, so I guess they've seen this before/firsthand.

Clew In
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Clew In » Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:14 pm

danidr wrote:
Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:19 pm
Bartolo wrote:
danidr wrote:

The knot gets stuck on the PU tube entrance regardless of sand, a clean bar with clean line+knot still get's stuck cause the plastic stopper makes a "pancake" out of the knot after a few sessions, which is thicker than the entrance. Not sure if the 2017 recalled stopper (when they changed the metal part to the gray plastic again) is any different to the 2016 part and makes a different shape out of the knot, but even then as long as the PU tube entrance is smaller than the metal part that it sticks to, it will rub with the cut of the PU tube which is sharp.

Dealer (MacKite, they're awesome, can't recommend them enough!) sent me the lower bungee line (the one that goes through the tube) and the first part of the front line. Replacing them is fairly easy, I did it myself in 5 minutes and I've never done any fixes on any of my kite equipment apart from screwing bolts on a board :P This was not a fix to the problem, you just get a new line and knot/union that will start fraying with every flagout of the system. The only solution to the problem is not flagging the kite lol

*EDIT: btw the dealer knew exactly what I was telling them, so I guess they've seen this before/firsthand.

How much did they charge you for the bungie line? I had mine replaced by a shop; however, shop is out of business (also the first two lines were a few inches longer that the one on my 2016 bar). Anyone care to share part numbers and lengths for this part? I would like to order a spare until I decide on another bar to purchase....................

Clew In

Bartolo
Medium Poster

Postby Bartolo » Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:50 pm

danidr wrote:
Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:19 pm
Bartolo wrote:

Agree. I had these 2 lines replaced once before and this helps for some time since the new knot is flatter. But after some time the knot is getting thicker like you mention and then you have the problem again :-(

Bartolo
Medium Poster

Postby Bartolo » Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:58 pm

Clew In wrote:
Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:14 pm

How much did they charge you for the bungie line? I had mine replaced by a shop; however, shop is out of business (also the first two lines were a few inches longer that the one on my 2016 bar). Anyone care to share part numbers and lengths for this part? I would like to order a spare until I decide on another bar to purchase....................

Clew In
https://www.cabrinhakites.com/collectio ... g-slf-line Ask for the 2016 version. In previous years they had partnumbers on their website (also for all models from previous years) but apparently they changed that since there is no part# mentioned. Mine was around 11€
Attachments
Screenshot 2017-08-09 at 22.53.03.png

danidr
Medium Poster

Postby danidr » Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:18 pm

Clew In wrote:
Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:14 pm

Clew In
They didn't charge me anything, which was really cool. I do buy from that shop quite frequently so it might be that... Ask them, they might have them in stock: mackiteboarding.com

danidr
Medium Poster

Postby danidr » Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:08 pm

Cab Driver wrote:
Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:43 pm
skideeppow wrote:
Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:18 pm
Debating on upgrading my 9 drifter to the new drifter. Cab driver, can you let me know what the advantages are with the 2018?
The Drifter was launched in 2012 and has forever changed surfing with a kite. 2018 is the first all new Drifter since then. We have been very careful not to screw up the Drifter's special sauce while modernizing the kite. Expect the same amazing slack line drift. The big differences come in noticeably faster steering, a slightly shifted lower wind range (i.e. take slightly smaller size), super light bar feedback (designed on "A" wingtip setting for light bar feel as opposed to previous models), better upwind in the "on-shore" setting (off-shore crushes upwind), and way better freeride performance for jumping, strapless freestyle, etc. You definitely need to try one. Don't underestimate how much better the kite is for freeriding, screwing around on a skimboard, etc.
Hi Cab Driver!

Some of us are wondering about the PU tube diameter on the new bar, since you have first hand info, can you chip in? I haven't seen a 2018 bar around Sherman yet so no way to check physically. Thank you!

Bruce Buffer
Rare Poster
Gear: shopping bag on 2 lines

Postby Bruce Buffer » Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:29 am

danidr wrote:
Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:08 pm

Hi Cab Driver!

Some of us are wondering about the PU tube diameter on the new bar, since you have first hand info, can you chip in? I haven't seen a 2018 bar around Sherman yet so no way to check physically. Thank you!
Bro Cab Driver is really busy making sure there is no stretch in this new line they're releasing shortly.
It will be little expensive but totally worth your $$$$$$$.$$

rleshem
Medium Poster

Postby rleshem » Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:05 am

Cabdriver, what are the main changes for the FX besides the bridle setting option?

Thx

Return to “Kitesurfing”