Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

The new Ocean Rodeo Mako featuring Bliss air Pads and Straps

Postby Toby » Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:26 pm

Ocean Rodeo News:

The new Mako featuring Bliss air Pads and Straps

or 1.jpg

The most revered, longest selling kiteboard in history now rides on air.

For 15 years the Mako has enjoyed the reputation as kiteboarding's smoothest, most refined ride with deliciously hard biting rails and chop taming concave. Now, new for 2018 the Mako rides on a pocket of air.

Built for ‘real world’ conditions, the Mako excels where all other conventional twin tips fail. Short-fetch chop, rolling ocean waves, inside shore breaks, the Mako smoothly traverses it all and delights in setting the rail hard for a high G force carve to reverse direction for another tack.

Shipped complete with the all new Bliss Air & Ratchet pad and strap system, the all new Mako redefines Freeride. Air pockets in the pads disburse ocean chop and absorb hard landings while the innovative ratchet system ensures your straps are perfectly shaped to your feet.

Pads & Straps

or 2.jpg

Strategically placed and pressurized air pockets cushion your feet with the all new Bliss Air & Ratchet pad and strap system. Hard landings give way to buttery smooth transitions and chop is tamed by a cushion of air.

Easily adjusted on the water, the Bliss Air & Ratchet pads and straps are designed to work with all Ocean Rodeo and most other brand’s twin tip kiteboards and feature an innovative new ratchet tightening system to perfectly fit your feet for every session, from booties to barefoot.

Featuring ultra durable and comfortable dual density EVA foam pads with Air pockets and near infinite ratchet strap configuration options the Bliss Air & Ratchet pad and strap system present your feet with the perfect balance of comfort and control when riding.

Rail to Rail Concave

or 3.jpg

What’s the secret? The deepest rail-to-rail concave of any twin tip ever produced combined with rounded tips, down-turned rails and a perfectly tuned rocker line. The Mako delivers a powerful fluid carving experience and a dependable rail for stratospheric boosting.

Available in 4 different sizes, the Mako lineup offers Freeride enthusiasts of all backgrounds a board suited to their riding style and size while the wood core ensures your board will survive the rough and tumble coastal conditions this board is built to perform in.

The Mako 135, 140 & 150 are ready to ride in conventional Twin Tip mode while the 165 can be set up for Twin Tip or Mutant style riding with the optional fin expansion pack.

Sizes: 135cm x 37cm, 140cm x 40cm, 150cm x 40cm, 165cm x 44cm

or 4.jpg

POACHER
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Gear: *

Re: The new Ocean Rodeo Mako featuring Bliss air Pads and Straps

Postby POACHER » Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:23 pm

Cool.
Rebranded SP Boarding QSR Raptor and Air Pro footpads.
Smart move OR. Those are the nicest pads/straps on the market IMO.

ThickAir
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby ThickAir » Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:25 pm

Somebody please tell me those straps/pads are cushy. I STILL haven't found anything remotely close to the original OR Bliss straps and pads. Mine are pretty trashed and you can't find them anymore. I've wasted about a thousand dollars searching for equivalent pads but nothing even comes close to the original Bliss, IMO.

<edit> Raptor, just saw your post. Not what I wanted to hear. I have a 2017 Shinn board that uses the SP QSR Raptors (I think) and not a fan at all.

ORSales
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ORSales » Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:07 pm

@Thickair, the new pads feature both a super plush EVA foam and the addition of Air pockets under the heel and balls of the feet. By far the nicest pads I've ever used (and yes, I totally agree the very 1st Bliss pads were our best of the bunch... until now!)

JZ, OR

BillyKP
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Georgian Bay
Favorite Beaches: Wasaga, Lake Simcoe, Cuba
Style: freestyle
Gear: OceanRodeo
Brand Affiliation: Ocean Rodeo

Postby BillyKP » Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:45 pm

Disclaimer: I use, teach, and sell OR gear. I don't normally come on and pimp ...but just had a great weekend with new Mako, and these new footpads are really dreamy. I was skeptical as to really how much better can you make a footpad??...As someone who spends a lot of time walking around beach over sand rocks and sticks, it's just a delight and relief to put my feet in these new footpads/straps. Just one more reason to "Mako love". Great work JZ and OR team.

Jelle_vw
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Weight: 76
Local Beach: Zandmotor (Netherlands)
Favorite Beaches: Slufter (Netherlands)
Style: Freeride / Oldskool
Gear: Ozone & Shinn

Postby Jelle_vw » Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:59 pm

Pads look amazing but 209.00 EUR :o

or6
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1997
Weight: 81
Local Beach: Wijk aan zee, Zandmotor, Hoek and in between
Favorite Beaches: Muriwai NZ, El Medano Tenerife, la Ventana México, Hood River, Portland area, Vancouver Island, Wijk aan Zee, Moulay Bouzerktoun
Style: Waveriding
Gear: RRD Religion 4 meter, 5 and 7 meter Kauper XT Maverick, 9 meter Core GTS6, Ben Wilson Vibe 9, Peter Lynn Phantom v2 9, Appletree Klokhouse Noseless 5'3", Wanted Pure 6'0", Shinn Bronq Heritage, Gong Foil

Postby or6 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 3:36 pm

How about the boards? Are they any different? I have the orange 2015 150. Apart from the loss of the extra holes to go mutant....any difference?

Thx!

Or6

ORSales
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ORSales » Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:47 pm

or6 wrote:
Tue Aug 15, 2017 3:36 pm
How about the boards? Are they any different? I have the orange 2015 150. Apart from the loss of the extra holes to go mutant....any difference?

Thx!

Or6
Since 2015 the Mako has indeed gone through some important updates. This year over last, they are less noticeable but last season's Mako was a total re-birth of the board. Completely new molds allowed us to achieve true rail-to-rail concave with no flat sections towards the edge. This results in a much harder biting carve for the board. We also introduced mini-tucked rails on all the Makos, meaning the edge of the board is intentionally rounded to increase the board's grip with the water, much like a surfboard's rail.

John Z ~ OR

or6
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1997
Weight: 81
Local Beach: Wijk aan zee, Zandmotor, Hoek and in between
Favorite Beaches: Muriwai NZ, El Medano Tenerife, la Ventana México, Hood River, Portland area, Vancouver Island, Wijk aan Zee, Moulay Bouzerktoun
Style: Waveriding
Gear: RRD Religion 4 meter, 5 and 7 meter Kauper XT Maverick, 9 meter Core GTS6, Ben Wilson Vibe 9, Peter Lynn Phantom v2 9, Appletree Klokhouse Noseless 5'3", Wanted Pure 6'0", Shinn Bronq Heritage, Gong Foil

Postby or6 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:01 pm

Bummer 😉

ORSales
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ORSales » Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:03 pm

or6 wrote:
Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:01 pm
Bummer 😉
I'm really good at coming up with excuses to replace gear. Just PM me if you need any reasons to replace your kites too! :P

Return to “Kitesurfing”