Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

FS Sonic Race review anyone?

For all foil kite riders
fernmanus
Very Frequent Poster

Re: FS Sonic Race review anyone?

Postby fernmanus » Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:05 am

Kami, it sounds like you are just guessing. Have you flown a Sonic Race? My question is aimed at someone who has flown the Sonic Race with a twintip. Yes, I understand that the Sonic Race was designed for Hydrofoiling, but my experience has been that so called "racing" kites turned out to be a lot of fun for an experienced rider.

Word is from the designer that the kite is no good for freestyle. I am just curious, I have seen some huge airs with that kite, but all photos and video were with a hydrofoil attached to the rider's feet.

Skywalker7
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Sostó
Favorite Beaches: Ulcinj
Style: Freeride
Gear: I have 14 kites, covering most of the major brands.
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Postby Skywalker7 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:34 am

Hi,
we just put together a Sonic Race 11M with a 22M North Click bar for twintip riding. The click bar was needed as it is a high Y bar as otherwise the Sonic Race is designed for very short lines, and just putting the kite on longer lines might change the arc of the kite. The Y is is either at 6m or 8 M high and in both setting the kite flew perfectly, then we decided for the 8m high Y, since the single line safety can be set as well to 8m which should be more than enough for this 11M kite . I just flew it on the ground and kite was much easier to handle than I thought. Definitely easier than a Sonic 1. The kite is super light and super stable. My friend rode it with a twintip and he liked it very much. He said also that it is super stable and the best kite he ever flown (he owns Sonic 1 and 2s and Speed 5). The wind was pretty light so no huge jumps yet.

davesails7
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 75 kg
Local Beach: Virginia Beach
Style: Race
Gear: ML B3
R1V2 11. VMG 13, 15, 18
OR Mako 130x35

Postby davesails7 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:01 pm

I had a quick race training session with a guy on a sonic race 18m. Me and one other guy on 18m sonic2. Another guy on an 18m diablo2.

It was his first session on the kite, but his initial thought was that it was harder to fly than sonic 2. He said it was harder to get the float needed to foil through tacks. He said less grunt than the sonic2 18m. Looked damn fast though!

Although conditions were very tricky with 6-10 knots, lots of seaweed, swirling currents, and lots of boats cutting through.

I'm thinking to keep my 18m sonic 2 for marginal conditions and trade my 15m sonic 2 for a pro race. 15m is the kite I use in perfect conditions.

davesails7
Very Frequent Poster
R1V2 11. VMG 13, 15, 18
OR Mako 130x35

Postby davesails7 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:04 pm

alexrider wrote:
Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:11 am
So far, with the Sonic range, I went from amazed to ecstatic. I don't expect to be disappointed.
Regarding the Sonic 2, I'm not sure the pure performance has noticeably improved, but the handling unquestionably. It is so effing easy (disappointedly so for riders who believe they've got one of the most extreme kites available!), that IMO, it makes the Speed 5 redundant.
Are you talking twin tip jumping performance? If so, I agree, not clear to me that jumping is much better on sonic 2 vs sonic 1. For hydrofoil though, sonic 2 is clearly faster and clearly easier to go fast on. Also sonic 2 is much more stable in light winds which leads to improved low end.

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:22 am

fernmanus wrote:
Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:05 am
Kami, it sounds like you are just guessing. Have you flown a Sonic Race? My question is aimed at someone who has flown the Sonic Race with a twintip. Yes, I understand that the Sonic Race was designed for Hydrofoiling, but my experience has been that so called "racing" kites turned out to be a lot of fun for an experienced rider.

Word is from the designer that the kite is no good for freestyle. I am just curious, I have seen some huge airs with that kite, but all photos and video were with a hydrofoil attached to the rider's feet.
I am guessing, based on my experience with Speeds and Sonic 1 and 2: the higher the AR, the less sheet n' go which makes life tough on a small TT in choppy water. The difference isn't huge, but noticeable and diminishes as the TT gets bigger.

alexrider
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: foils and foils

Postby alexrider » Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:25 am

fernmanus wrote:
Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:05 am
....Yes, I understand that the Sonic Race was designed for Hydrofoiling, but my experience has been that so called "racing" kites turned out to be a lot of fun for an experienced rider.
I think the designer meant the Race's extremely light construction wasn't meant for the hardship freestyle imposes on the kite. The lines, the bridle and neither probably the canopy won't take the abuse of an over-enthusiastic monkey-style rider very long. Apart from that it should prove a fantastic air-style kite. Flysurfer should make a specially beefed up one for Toby and the likes to put it through its pace and deliver all its power.
The recommended short line length (15m for the 15, vs 21 for the Sonic2 as delivered) could be another factor that makes it less suitable for freestyle and beginner hydrofoiler.
I received my Race 15 before yesterday with 21m race lines (bag mix-up?). Logged 60 km on twintip and 15 km on wave board (shame tide too low for HFing atm) since, and can tell so far it's as least suited for twintip riding (carving, jumping) than all the other 15-16 FS I had since more than a decade. Turns pretty fast as well and seems as stable as the Sonic 2, although I haven't been in extreme situations yet, and not in a hurry to be, like bow-tieing or dropping it in the water. Will post polar and VMG for these runs shortly.
An experienced HF rider over here recommended me not to use short lines when learning to tack (my next goal), because timing less critical with long lines.

davesails7
Very Frequent Poster
R1V2 11. VMG 13, 15, 18
OR Mako 130x35

Postby davesails7 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:19 pm

alexrider wrote:
Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:25 am
can tell so far it's as least suited for twintip riding (carving, jumping) than all the other 15-16 FS I had since more than a decade.
Are you saying it is suited for twin tip or not suited to twin tip?
alexrider wrote: An experienced HF rider over here recommended me not to use short lines when learning to tack (my next goal), because timing less critical with long lines.
I've found the shorter lines (15m or 17m lines for a 15m kite) make tacking much easier. Short lines make timing easier because you can put the kite to where it needs to be in the window faster. When I was first learning tacks on the 15m foil kite with 25m or 32m lines, you had to have the timing perfect to make sure the kite was at the top of the window when it needed to be and down low enough to have power to ride out. With the shorter lines, the kite has to travel a lot less distance between those two needed positions.

alexrider
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: foils and foils

Postby alexrider » Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:56 pm

If I rephrase as follows, is it more understandable?
"The Sonic Race is as least suited for twintip riding (carving, jumping) as all the other 15-16 FS I had since more than a decade."
In other words, it's as good as as the other kites for TT. Not "least suited" as you might have understood. I hope that answers your question.
Thanks for the line length tip. Will put the 17m lines next time I use the 15.
davesails7 wrote:
Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:19 pm
alexrider wrote:
Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:25 am
can tell so far it's as least suited for twintip riding (carving, jumping) than all the other 15-16 FS I had since more than a decade.
Are you saying it is suited for twin tip or not suited to twin tip?
alexrider wrote: An experienced HF rider over here recommended me not to use short lines when learning to tack (my next goal), because timing less critical with long lines.
I've found the shorter lines (15m or 17m lines for a 15m kite) make tacking much easier. Short lines make timing easier because you can put the kite to where it needs to be in the window faster. When I was first learning tacks on the 15m foil kite with 25m or 32m lines, you had to have the timing perfect to make sure the kite was at the top of the window when it needed to be and down low enough to have power to ride out. With the shorter lines, the kite has to travel a lot less distance between those two needed positions.

sedluk
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Alum Creek - Ohio
Favorite Beaches: Turks and Caicos - Long Bay
Sail Bay - San Diego
Style: Freeriding
Gear: Flysurfer Speed 4, Boost2, Speed 5, Sonic 2 & Sonic Race
Nobile split boards, Ketos Foils and Boards, Mystic Supporter Harness

Postby sedluk » Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:17 pm

I had my 21m Sonic Race out the other day. I was surprised at how well behaved it was when launching. The 18m Sonic2 can take a little while to inflate the tips and the tips can fold and get caught in the bridle easily. I was expecting the 21m to take even longer to inflate and it went very smoothly, never had a problem with tips folding and overall very predictable and responsive.

I was using 21m lines and I really enjoyed the way it handled.

The construction looks very light, I think that it would be perfect for hydrofoiling which is how I will be using it but I would not want to be too rough. I think many of us are spoiled and take for granted how durable Flysurfer kites really are, this kite looks more delicate.

The bridle layout is unusual, the Speed4,Speed5 and Sonic kites all have rows of bridle lines, now you have partial rows is the best way that I can explain it. Looks weird and more to deal with if tangled but looks like it is very effective, very innovative.
Last edited by sedluk on Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Adventure Logs
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Padre Island, Texas
Punta del Diablo, Urugay
Gear: Flysurfer, Moses, Groove, Gin

Postby Adventure Logs » Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:57 am

sedluk wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:17 pm
I had my 21m Sonic Race out the other day. I was surprised at how well behaved it was when launching. The 18m Sonic2 can take a little while to inflate the tips and the tips can fold and get caught in the bridle easily. I was expecting the 21m to take even longer to inflate and it went very smoothly, never had a problem with tips folding and overall very predictable and responsive.

I was using 21m lines and I really enjoyed the way it handled.

The construction looks very light, I think that it would be perfect for hydrofoiling which is how I will be using it but I would not want to be too rough. I think many of us are spoiled and take for granted how durable Flysurfer kites really are, this kite looks more delicate.
Maybe with the new Race, they will bring back the warranty for the normal sonics.

Return to “Foil Kites”