A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
airsurfer
Very Frequent Poster
Style: surf and hydrofoil big air and kiteloops
Gear: Ozone,Firewire, Moses, Zeeko,Levitaz, NP, ION
Brand Affiliation: None

Zeeko Airwave installing tracks

Postby airsurfer » Wed Aug 30, 2017 4:20 pm

I want to install a track system on this board can anyone recommend the best way to do this and to reinforce the board so the tracks don't pull out? Please don't suggest the stick on foil mount I still want to ride this board in surf mode because it's great in sloppy conditions.

Thanks in advance
Attachments
20170823_133457.jpg

norcom
Very Frequent Poster
Style: waves
Gear: Too much to list these days. Currently mostly a v3 Cabo's and Spleene Zone fan

Re: Zeeko Airwave installing tracks

Postby norcom » Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:45 pm

I've been researching on installing tracks into one of my boards as well. There's no comprehensive guide on installing tracks but there's plenty of information on how to install fin boxes. Read boardlady.com on repair and how to properly install boxes that will take load (like the windsurf ones do).

The nicest solution I found was from this guy on a SUP forum. He CNC'ed some 90mm spaced foam inserts for Futures longboard boxes. This seems like the most durable and easy option. I really like those boxes because of the lip as they'll offer extra support. He has a few for sale. I was thinking of making my own with some 8 or 16lb foam and Futures. But the more I dig the deeper the hole gets and I'm just so lazy.
https://www.standupzone.com/forum/index ... #msg360576
Attachments
IMG_4164.jpg

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:47 pm

Just out of curiosity, but why ?

There are 5 strap inserts to move the straps forward/rearward (5 inches or 13 cm that is a lot), and in my experience Zeeko has always done a great job keeping the trim bullseye for us users.

Or a you using a wing that dont fit this trim range ?
Maybe you use straps for surfing, and they dont have the same position as when hydrofoiling, so you want to move the mast instead of the straps ?

8) PF

airsurfer
Very Frequent Poster

Postby airsurfer » Thu Aug 31, 2017 4:50 am

thanks guys that prefab box looks sweet.

PF 2 reasons

1. the zeeko foil base inserts distance are not standard so really only work for Zeeko foils and they're weak

2. stance and foil location are a matter of preferance and I like the flexibility of moving the foil in different conditions. for example I like the Spitfire mounted more forward than the Airwave inserts allow.

BTW the foot straps inserts on my Airwave are crap too seems like they're some sort of plastic

BJkitesurf
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BJkitesurf » Thu Aug 31, 2017 2:22 pm

Airsurfer, have you tried Shinn Jackson?

chirojoseph
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: All of Quintana Roo Mexico
Style: wave kite, wave FOIL kite
Gear: zeeko, Shinn, Fone, SShot, Naish, AXIS surfboards
Been thanked: 0

Postby chirojoseph » Sun Sep 03, 2017 6:10 pm

AIRSURFER we were just in the SAME dilemma as you...and I might just write to the STANDUP ZONE guy and see how much he wants for those!
We went wiith the SHinn Jackson..the small one 120 cm...excellentt piece of kit...but if you buy it be sure to ask for a second set of the TNUTS cause if you lose one youre screwed. Also, the pad on one board started to peel up already so dont ever leave it in a warm vehicle! jeje..

Lastly...the Jackson has like ZERO volume...so with an aluminum zeeko foil, if you push it underwater...it actually takes a few seconds to resurface. As a result, on those REALLY lightwind days id prefer the Zeeko Slash or someting with at least a little volume just to get planing.

good winds and good luck with the mast tracks!

HaylingBilly
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Hayling Island U.K.
Favorite Beaches: Gotta be Hayling Island...
Gear: Slingshot Lift Foil, Liquid Force 12m solo, FS Sonic11 & 15, Naish Pivot 10m, Best TS 10m, Blade Trigger 7m, FS Unity 10, FS Peak4 8.
Moses Onda, Lift/Slingshot NF2

Postby HaylingBilly » Sun Sep 03, 2017 6:46 pm

The TNUTS on the Shinn that attach the foil to the board are known as Thumb Nuts and easily available online.

airsurfer
Very Frequent Poster

Postby airsurfer » Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:18 pm

The Jackson looks like a fun board for sure. I like convertible boards and I already have the El Stubbo it's also a great fun durable versatile board and nice to ride without the foil especially if the seaweed is bad. But the stubbo is heavy, I rode some really light custom gear last week and it was such a pleasure complete foil and board set up under 9lbs just sick. for now I want to make use of my Airwave because other than the inserts its a great board.

dylan*
Very Frequent Poster
Gear:

Postby dylan* » Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:44 pm

am i the only one that hates the track? sure it's great for compatibility but it is so much less secure than bolting through the deck

Return to “Hydrofoil”