Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Chinese KB Hydrofoil : 300 USD + shipment

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
gbrungra
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Stinky's, San Diego, CA, USA, and Nantucket, MA, USA
Gear: Griffin 17m TRX 2014, Cabrihna 12m Vector 2014, TTs, Camet 160 and SS Hoverglide
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Chinese KB Hydrofoil : 300 USD + shipment

Postby gbrungra » Fri Sep 01, 2017 4:10 pm

No one is excited about paying $400(after shipping) for a slingshot hoverglide knock-off, when they can have the real thing for $900.

Lots of people are excited to pay $400 for a GoFoil or Takuma SUP foil knockoff, because the brand names are charging so much for an aluminum foil!

Hopefully after SUP foils have been on the market for another year or two and prices come down then Chinese knockoff price/quality ratio won't seem as attractive.

Blame GoFoil and takuma for overcharging.

Greenturtle
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Presque Isle, Erie PA
Favorite Beaches: Bahamian Cays
Gear: Edge 19, Flite 17, 14.5, 12, 10, 8, Cloud 13.4, 10.4, 8, 6.2, 3.7
Tons of boards for water, land, and snow
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Greenturtle » Sat Sep 02, 2017 3:13 pm

I have to chime in here.
First off, everything made of carbon in the kiteboarding industry is *ridiculously* overpriced. Even these knockoffs.

I am a canoe racer. Anyone can buy a brand new, made to order, MADE IN USA, all carbon layup, 18 foot long(!), top-of-the-line racing canoe complete with sliding seats and everything for less than some "name brand" carbon Hydrofoils (without a board or even bolts).

Therefore nobody is fooling me that the cost of materials, or labor, has anything to do at all with the pricing of Hydrofoil gear.
It only boils down to how much people are willing to pay, and extracting every possible penny of that while the fever is still up.

These options from china will absolutely drive the prices down overall, as well as drive innovation forward, because if the new stuff coming out isn't better, then we might as well buy the knockoff.

james
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: My own
Brand Affiliation: My own

Postby james » Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:29 pm

Good luck shipping your USA built boat to Europe and still have it resemble anything a sensible price.

NorCalNomad
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: San Francisco
Gear: Why should it matter?
Has thanked: 0

Postby NorCalNomad » Sun Sep 03, 2017 12:46 am

Greenturtle wrote:
Sat Sep 02, 2017 3:13 pm
I have to chime in here.
First off, everything made of carbon in the kiteboarding industry is *ridiculously* overpriced. Even these knockoffs.

I am a canoe racer. Anyone can buy a brand new, made to order, MADE IN USA, all carbon layup, 18 foot long(!), top-of-the-line racing canoe complete with sliding seats and everything for less than some "name brand" carbon Hydrofoils (without a board or even bolts).

Therefore nobody is fooling me that the cost of materials, or labor, has anything to do at all with the pricing of Hydrofoil gear.
It only boils down to how much people are willing to pay, and extracting every possible penny of that while the fever is still up.

These options from china will absolutely drive the prices down overall, as well as drive innovation forward, because if the new stuff coming out isn't better, then we might as well buy the knockoff.
Larger market for canoes, therefore lower price. Also the forces on a canoe are way lower than a foil.

Jzh_perth
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Scarborough, wa
Style: Hydrofoil, Sufboard and TT
Gear: Flysurfer
Brand Affiliation: Flysurfer dealer

Postby Jzh_perth » Mon Sep 04, 2017 3:34 pm

I've ordered a Chinese Takuma - rode the real one on sat and had a blast. It's nearly identical as far as I can see. This will cost me $440 versus $1400 USD plus shipping.

This is how the Takuma went last weekend in lightish wind. I'm on a 9, buddy is on a 5 on my zeeko. https://vimeo.com/232342993

max
Very Frequent Poster

Postby max » Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:43 pm

Jzh_perth wrote:
Mon Sep 04, 2017 3:34 pm
I've ordered a Chinese Takuma - rode the real one on sat and had a blast. It's nearly identical as far as I can see. This will cost me $440 versus $1400 USD plus shipping.

This is how the Takuma went last weekend in lightish wind. I'm on a 9, buddy is on a 5 on my zeeko. https://vimeo.com/232342993

Do you have the link to the one you bought?

james
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: My own
Brand Affiliation: My own

Postby james » Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:54 pm

You got a link to the store you demoed the Takuma from?

Keen to try one out then buy a cheap copy

And then wonder why stores don't carry demogear.

Jzh_perth
Frequent Poster

Postby Jzh_perth » Tue Sep 05, 2017 2:26 am

Max - I found it on Alibaba

James - I feel guilty already. But not guilty enough to willingly pay $1400 knowing that I can buy the same thing for 1/3. Plus it's a lot more expensive than other Alloy foils too

I don't know the answer to this dilemma - it's not unique to just our sport in any case. I guess you need to accept with a cheaper option you forgoe any warranty and support if you break or damage it. That is a lot of value and shouldn't be underestimated.

alexrider
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: foils and foils

Postby alexrider » Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:51 am

As if the store didn't know the risk he's taking when demoing. He's never guaranteed the customer ends up buying another brand, or a "cheap" copy. It's the name of the game, and whining doesn't help sales. The surest way to not sell is not to demo at all. Nothing prevents the shop to offer cheap copies as well, so the punter has the choice. Giving the customer the possibility to compare is good for Takuma, if their prices are justified by a corresponding quality.
Seems you never did business, and never bought Chinese home appliances, James. :naughty:
james wrote:
Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:54 pm
You got a link to the store you demoed the Takuma from?

Keen to try one out then buy a cheap copy

And then wonder why stores don't carry demogear.
Last edited by alexrider on Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jzh_perth
Frequent Poster

Postby Jzh_perth » Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:02 am

I should say I have a kite shop myself and always have demo equipment for customers to try. I don't expect anyone to buy without trying for themselves, and also accept that not every trial will end in a sale. That's just the way it is.

In order to help my own customers I test as much equipment as I can, in order to build my own experience. we are regularly invited to demo days and dealer conferences. You have to unless you want to put your head in the sand.

Return to “Hydrofoil”