Forum for kitesurfers
greenmachine
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Charleston Isle of Palms Questions?

Postby greenmachine » Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:13 pm

We're heading for a family vacation Sept 9-16 and staying beachfront on the north side of Isle of Palms (48th). In issues to kite directly at that beach? I know we are supposed to stay clear of beach goers, but any restrictions? It's much easier to kite out of the rental house with the kids and wife then trying to haul them all to the south end of the island.

It seems the dominant spot is on the south end of the island. Looks like we have some solid NE winds on tap for next weekend, but lots could change with the Irma track. I'll probably bring the 9 and 12m and leave the 15m at home. I've been kiting 7yrs in Jax, FL so familiar with rough seas. Just want to make sure I don't ruffle any feathers up there if there are any restrictions.

VB705
Rare Poster
Local Beach: VA/NC
Gear: Best, Slingshot, BRM

Re: Charleston Isle of Palms Questions?

Postby VB705 » Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:11 pm

I kited in that general area the week we were there Memorial Day week. Just stayed outside swimmers and tried to ride early and late on the weekend. I was on my 17M most of the time. Great place to ride.

t3rse
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Folly
Gear: RRD Obsession/Core XR/Cab FX

Re: Charleston Isle of Palms Questions?

Postby t3rse » Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:00 pm

You aren't supposed to ride north of 3rd block if I recall. People like to try and drown in the inlet, so be wary of the currents. There is a big bath area behind a sandbar just across the bridge on Sullivans but it can be a zoo. You may want to reach out to one of the local shops, like Force Wake and Kite or Sea Land Sports for more info, as I stay on the other side of the harbor.

Return to “Kitesurfing”