Gear: Airush Ultra 10m, 8m
Airush Wave 6m
Solo 4,5m
Shinn K2 foil
125cm RR custom
Brand Affiliation: None

Controlling Height

Postby RichR2 » Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:03 pm

I’m a relative beginner having started foiling in May. I have a Shinn el stubbo and Zeeko foil. As a kitesurfer of 15 years I thought I’d have the basics of foiling, gybing and tacking cracked by now…yeah dream on! I have struggled and progress has seemed soooo slow. With about 25 hours under my belt I am beginning to foil in control (better on one tack), however my main reason for crashing is the foil rises too high and I can’t figure out what I’m doing wrong (I’m the only foiler at my local beach).
Thanks to this forum I’ve picked up on so many things, one of them being to use the kite to control height…sheet out – down, sheet in – up, which has helped a lot. The problem occurs usually when a gust comes through and sheeting out doesn’t help and I speed up and start rising before the inevitable crash. I’ve just switched from a 9m Switchblade to a 9m LF Solo which has helped but any advice you can offer? Thanks.

flyingcamel
Medium Poster
Local Beach: sandy hook
Style: all rounder
Gear: gin zulu3 13m, 9m
ocean rodeo flite gen 3 17m, 12m, 10m
flite gen 4 14.5
OR razor gen 6 12m, 10m
flysurfer peak1 9m, peak2 6m
cabrina stylus 165
slingshot dialer
slingshot alien air MHL Lift hydrofoil
cabrinha ace 139
Has thanked: 0

Re: Controlling Height

Postby flyingcamel » Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:17 pm

you want to think more about shifting your weight forward and back then just thinking about applying more front or back foot pressure. by moving your body forward you can control the pressure much more gently and gradually. other then that just keep your kite high which helps making it much easier to balance in the beginning and youll ride slower. using the kite can help with foil level but you should not be using that as your primary leveler, weight position should be your first option and its really the only option you need, the only time you should use the kite for the level of your foil is in very light wind to help you get off the water but that should be it.

RichR2
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Airush Wave 6m
Solo 4,5m
Shinn K2 foil
125cm RR custom

Postby RichR2 » Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:24 pm

Got it, so again its all about front foot pressure and I need to apply more. Will focus on that next time I'm out and a gust hits.

gmb13
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Local Beach: Flag Beach, Fuerteventura
Style: Everything
Gear: Indiana, Sailmon
Brand Affiliation: Indiana, Sailmon

Postby gmb13 » Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:36 pm

RichR2 wrote:
Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:24 pm
Got it, so again its all about front foot pressure and I need to apply more. Will focus on that next time I'm out and a gust hits.
Also you need to remember that to "apply front foot pressure" or better said shift your weight forward, you need to bend you front knee. A lot of people try to apply front foot pressure by straightening their front leg as they think this pushes on the front foot, but what it actually does is move your centre of weight towards the back.

--
Gunnar

dylan*
Very Frequent Poster
Gear:

Postby dylan* » Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:51 pm

i always think about it in terms of leaning my upper body more toward the nose or the tail of the board. if you feel the front of your board lifting up, you can lean your body into it to balance it out.

I assume since you're a beginner you're also riding mostly upright. I'd recommend just continuing to ride and practice, because it gets even easier when you start riding at more extreme angles. When you're driving hard into the wind, you can use your "edge" (angle, I guess) to help control your speed so it's not strictly a balancing act. When you're going downwind is more upright, but you're working your kite more so the power spikes are much more predictable. So basically it just gets easier the more you ride because it changes how you ride, in addition to just getting more familiar with how the foil behaves.

RichR2
Medium Poster
Airush Wave 6m
Solo 4,5m
Shinn K2 foil
125cm RR custom

Postby RichR2 » Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:59 pm

Thanks for the tip about bent front knee, I can see how that will shift my body and apply more pressure.

RichR2
Medium Poster
Airush Wave 6m
Solo 4,5m
Shinn K2 foil
125cm RR custom

Postby RichR2 » Fri Sep 08, 2017 5:04 pm

You're right Dylan, I am tending to ride more upright. I know it's all down to time on the water and i feel i get a bit better each time out but slow progress. Being the only foiler here at the moment your advice is very useful.

Tone
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Tone » Fri Sep 08, 2017 5:18 pm

bar in - go up
bar out - go down

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Lomma
Gear: TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 110
Gong Veloce M, 100cm carbon mast
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m

Postby TomW » Fri Sep 08, 2017 5:19 pm

I'm just beyond your stage. Keep your feet pointed a bit forward, your knees slightly bent pointing at an angle forward. If you gain altitude, focus on pushing front knee forward and bend knees a bit more. This shifts entire torso forward.
Try it in your living room!

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Lomma
Gear: TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 110
Gong Veloce M, 100cm carbon mast
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m

Postby TomW » Fri Sep 08, 2017 5:20 pm

Oh, and remember to look forward about 10 meters, don't look at nose of your board.

Return to “Hydrofoil”