Gear: Eleveight
Brand Affiliation: Eleveight

Re: Kite suggestion req - bang for the buck air

Postby john a » Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:17 am

KitingPolak wrote:
Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:42 pm
john a wrote:
Wed Aug 30, 2017 7:44 am

Eleveight RS sure impressed me with hangtime and playfulness. Still need to test the big sizes though, but felt fun in the small!
Do you know who sells these US? I don't see any pricing or weight info, otherwise it looks like it fits my requirements nicely.

Update: found some pricing info from one dealer... seems inline with the "reasonably" priced options. Hmmm.
No not really sure in the US, but the distributor have a Facebook page, maybe send them a message and ask for a dealer near you? Maybe even a demo? :) https://www.facebook.com/eleveightusa/?fref=ts

KitingPolak
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Metro Beach
Style: Free
Gear: Slingshot KeyHD 2010 10
RRD Obsession 2010 13.5
Boardriding Maui Cloud 1st Gen 17
Pansh Aurora 2015 19
Liquid Force Solo v2 2016 6.5
RRD Obsession Mk9 2017 12
Eleveight RS V1 2018 14
Naish Pivot 2017 9
Slingshot Ignition 140cm
Ocean Rodeo Mako 140cm
Liquid Force Fish w/Foil Fish
Dakine Pyro Harness
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby KitingPolak » Fri Sep 01, 2017 2:38 am

john a wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:17 am
No not really sure in the US, but the distributor have a Facebook page, maybe send them a message and ask for a dealer near you? Maybe even a demo? :) https://www.facebook.com/eleveightusa/?fref=ts
Yeah, I shot them a couple of emails.

I ended up ordering a 12m RRD Obsession; the price was very good and with the 3 struts hopefully it will be a bit lighter than the old 13.5m monster. I'll still be on the lookout for a 14.x something.

KitingPolak
Medium Poster
RRD Obsession 2010 13.5
Pansh Aurora 2015 19
Eleveight RS V1 2018 14
Naish Pivot 2017 9
Slingshot Ignition 140cm
Ocean Rodeo Mako 140cm
Dakine Pyro Harness

Postby KitingPolak » Sun Sep 03, 2017 5:40 am

Sun wrote:
Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:15 pm
If you can find a Roca in the size you want it will probably serve your needs very well. I find the Roca a little more direct/aggressive than the Pivot but lighter than the TS. Otherwise, the Eleveight RS is its spiritual successor.

The Naish Park is also good and should be pretty cheap if you can find one.
Sun,
Have you flown the 14m Eleveight RS and Pivot? If so, I'm curious how you'd compare them. Do you know which is lighter? It's ridiculously difficult to find weight information about kites... should be front and center along with the size IMO.

Sun
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Tybee Island
Favorite Beaches: Cape Town, Cumbuco
Gear: 12m, 10m, 8m Dice SLS
6m Dice (2017)
Reedin Dreamstick X
Reedin Kev Pro 136 board w/ North Straps
Nobile XTR LW board
12m Hyperlink for LW
Mystic MajesticX Hardshell

Postby Sun » Sun Sep 03, 2017 6:12 am

KitingPolak wrote:
Sun Sep 03, 2017 5:40 am
Sun wrote:
If you can find a Roca in the size you want it will probably serve your needs very well. I find the Roca a little more direct/aggressive than the Pivot but lighter than the TS. Otherwise, the Eleveight RS is its spiritual successor.

Sun,
Have you flown the 14m Eleveight RS and Pivot? If so, I'm curious how you'd compare them. Do you know which is lighter? It's ridiculously difficult to find weight information about kites... should be front and center along with the size IMO.
I have not had the chance to fly the RS yet, so I will speak to my experience on the Roca V2 (2017, 10m) compared to my Pivot (2016, 6m). Both Naish and Best/Eleveight should do a decent job of scaling the feel of the kites such that the small models handle similar to the large models, but we know it can be quite different, so fair warning.

Speaking to performance, the Roca turns more on a wingtip than the Pivot. Nothing like the TS or a C kite, but I can literally loop the Pivot about the center strut, just twirling in the sky. The Roca likes to turn at about midpoint between the wingtip and the center strut. For me this feels like the Roca generates more power during the turns, but I cannot redirect it as fast as the Pivot. Range on both is great; I can sine the Pivot like crazy and get going in 20 MPH on my big board, and just park the Roca on the same board at 18 MPH. Timing for jumps is similarly forgiving, but the Roca is more floaty. In all, the Roca feels like a forgiving and detuned TS, where the Pivot feels like a more aggressive, less drifty, more well rounded Cabo.

Speaking to weight, I am afraid I have no clue. Looks like the RS has a variable number of battens per size, seemingly more on the larger kites. I believe the Pivots have no battens regardless of size. However, the Pivot seems to have more panels (more stitching) and uses heavier fabrics overall, so it may be a wash.
Last edited by Sun on Mon Sep 04, 2017 12:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

KitingPolak
Medium Poster
RRD Obsession 2010 13.5
Pansh Aurora 2015 19
Eleveight RS V1 2018 14
Naish Pivot 2017 9
Slingshot Ignition 140cm
Ocean Rodeo Mako 140cm
Dakine Pyro Harness

Postby KitingPolak » Sun Sep 03, 2017 6:31 pm

Sun wrote:
Sun Sep 03, 2017 6:12 am
I have not had the chance to fly the RS yet, so I will speak to my experience on the Roca V2 (2017, 10m) compared to my Pivot (2016, 6m). Both .....

Speaking to weight, I am afraid I have no clue. Looks like the RS has a variable number of battens per size, seemingly more on the larger kites. I believe the Pivots have no battens regardless of size. However, the Pivot seems to have more panels (more stitching) and uses heavier fabrics overall, so it may be a wash.
Thanks Sun, appreciate your feedback. I'm going to see how the pricing works out. Looks like the 2017 Pivots might be had at a pretty good discount since the 2018's are coming/have come out. If there's a large price difference between the two then I'll just let that settle it. I can always pick up the other brand in a 9 or 10m size later.

Peace!

Bartolo
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Local Beach: WIjk aan Zee Netherlands
Style: old school jumping / wave
Brand Affiliation: Eleveight kites

Postby Bartolo » Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:52 pm

john a wrote:
Wed Aug 30, 2017 7:44 am
Sun wrote:

Eleveight RS sure impressed me with hangtime and playfulness. Still need to test the big sizes though, but felt fun in the small!
Hi John,
Could you elaborate a bit more about your experience with the Eleveight RS? What size did you use in what winds? What way did you use it, freestyle, boosting, loooping? I am looking to get some more feel for this kite.
Thanks!

tegirinenashi
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: 3rd Ave
Gear: Bates 4000, Dominator MX-10

Postby tegirinenashi » Sat Sep 09, 2017 11:31 pm

Sun wrote:
Sun Sep 03, 2017 6:12 am
... I will speak to my experience on the Roca V2 (2017, 10m) compared to my Pivot (2016, 6m)...
Speaking to performance, the Roca turns more on a wingtip than the Pivot...
Are you serious? (Comparing the two different brands in 6 m and 10 m sizes and discussing performance differences?)

john a
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Freestyle, airstyle, freeride, snowkite
Brand Affiliation: Eleveight

Postby john a » Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:17 am

Bartolo wrote:
Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:52 pm
Hi John,
Could you elaborate a bit more about your experience with the Eleveight RS? What size did you use in what winds? What way did you use it, freestyle, boosting, loooping? I am looking to get some more feel for this kite.
Thanks!
I ride the FS mainly but have 8 and 12 RS also. A friend of mine have the 14 though but haven´t got the time to try it yet.
Used it for boosting, looping, free ride and boardoffs. I do prefer the FS for handlepasses as it slacks more. The RS is really playful. Better hang time. Has a better low end. Think the FS goes higher but the RS has more hang time. It is very precise. Light on the bar, very predictable. Normally I ride bigger kites on small bars, and prefer them slow normally, but even though the 8 was fast it was easy to control even though I dont ride small kites often. Big kites are playful! I love it for big air and boardoffs! It is a bit kinder than the FS, I was quite overpowered on the 8 one session, but still it feels so controllable and playful. Know the question was about the 14, but can write after I have tried later this month, or hear if some of the those guys can answer more on that size. I did have the rock I 14 (and two TS) also flew the 12 and smaller quite a bit, and judging on the difference on the RS to the Roca, the 14 should be super fun. It is better tuned for sure! Should be really great for big air and old school!

We have a guy over here who does all the tricks strapless freestyle, he really loves the RS. Say it is totally perfect for that type of riding also.
Here a short video teaser of him on the RS shot on drone:

https://www.facebook.com/kitebrothers/v ... 103192688/
https://www.facebook.com/kitebrothers/v ... 103192688/

Return to “Kitesurfing”