Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Folly
Gear: RRD Obsession/Core XR/Cab FX
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: How to make a high Y bar ?

Postby t3rse » Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:06 pm

Splice a short length of line into your line to make a loop. Is that now how the manufacturers do it?

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:23 pm

t3rse wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:06 pm
Splice a short length of line into your line to make a loop. Is that now how the manufacturers do it?
The manufacturers do it by splicing the 2 center lines into 1 at the Y so there are 5 lines at the kite and only 4 lines at the bar. Or if you are using a mini-5th instead of true 5th, you would have 4 lines at the kite and 3 lines at the bar.
There was a bar by slingshot that had a high Y and 4 lines at the kite and 4 lines at the bar, and they did it by having two steel rings, and at the Y, both center lines would lark's head onto their own steel ring, then one of the lines would go inside the other center line's o-ring. A photo would be easier than describing it, I'll post a diagram if you care.

mmeyers12
Medium Poster
Local Beach: I wish I had a local beach....
Style: Freeride, Waves, Hydrofoil
Gear: 10m Fone Diablo
8m Orbit
7m GTS
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Postby mmeyers12 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:07 am

alexeyga wrote:
Sun Sep 03, 2017 3:48 pm
That being said - why bother at all? Kites designed to fly on Y-bars work perfectly fine with V-bars, it's the other way around that you might actually notice any difference in kite's behaviour and yet alone - to have any real issues.
Can you please expain further? I dont understand why v-bar designed kites would not work well with a y-bar while y-bar designed kites would fly fine with v-bars.

Thanks in advance.

alexeyga
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 200
Favorite Beaches: Ocean shore!
Style: Freeride dongling
Gear: Eleveight / Shinn / North / Axis / Slingshot / Airush

Postby alexeyga » Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:52 pm

mmeyers12 wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:07 am
alexeyga wrote:
Sun Sep 03, 2017 3:48 pm
That being said - why bother at all? Kites designed to fly on Y-bars work perfectly fine with V-bars, it's the other way around that you might actually notice any difference in kite's behaviour and yet alone - to have any real issues.
Can you please expain further? I dont understand why v-bar designed kites would not work well with a y-bar while y-bar designed kites would fly fine with v-bars.

Thanks in advance.
Do the search, this topic has been mulled around for ages. Basically it comes down to the fact that high-Y configurations tend to pull kite's wingtips towards each other a lot more than V-configurations. As such, kites designed to be flown on high-Y bars work fine on V-bars, but there were negative reports about the other way around - and some kites designed to be flown on V-bars don't really like to be pinched-in with high-Y bars, thus - it is not recommended. Granted that it most likely affects bigger sizes with larger arcs. You'd have to be super-anal to notice any difference on sizes smaller than 9m.

Return to “Kitesurfing”