Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Shoe goo on depower line to prevent wear?

Forum for kitesurfers
edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Re: Shoe goo on depower line to prevent wear?

Postby edt » Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:13 pm

I use beeswax (not candle wax) because regular candle wax or paraffin typically will not catch fire until somewhere around 250F 125C something like that. Dyneema has a hard limit if you get it above 212F (100C) it will degrade and loose all its strength. Beeswax catches fire at 209F (98C) so it's always safe to melt beeswax and dip your lines in it. As long as your bees wax is not on fire you are at a safe temperature. Other waxes though, you have to careful monitor the temperature, it's pretty easy to get it too hot when you melt it and ruin your dyneema (or spectra), they are Ultra-high-molecular-weight polyethylene and have the same problem if you get them too hot those long molecular bonds fail and you are left with just a hunk of plastic. You can use any kind of wax you like, just monitor the temperature if you use some kind of candle wax that melts at a high temperature, don't get it above 212F/100C. A wax coating will typically extend the life of your depower line by somewhere around 2x. You can also buy a nylon tubing (I have nylon tube too) and use that to get even more extended life, but I generally don't bother with the tubing.

Regis-de-giens
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 62 kg
Local Beach: France: St Laurent du Var, Cannes, Almanarre
Style: 62 kg , light wind, waves
Gear: Conceptair pulsion 18&15&12S, OR Flite 10m , Airush One 9&6, peak 5M , Rally 6, Elf 11 &7, 19m2 single skin proto.
foil Ketos, RCS Supreme, TBK Mana, snowskis, kite-boat
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Regis-de-giens » Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:19 pm

BWD wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:05 am
a picture of this would explain... it is not clear to me exactly what you mean.
Sorry I though I had put a internet link :

http://www.inorope.com/shop/tous-cordag ... e-dyneema/

Here is a picture of the mounting on my custome bar :
In black :

In white :
https://vimeo.com/231646133

POACHER
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Gear: *

Postby POACHER » Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:55 pm

Bees wax or candle wax???..............What do you guys do about sand sticking to it?

A few years ago I had a Switch Control bar that chewed the depower line ridiculously fast. I ended up putting White Lightning Clean Ride bike lube on it. It's a dry lube wax that sheds dirt/sand when dry. I didn't really care for the bar anyway so I thought I'd give it a shot. It made a huge difference in line wear. It does flake off, but it decreased the friction and kept wear down to a minimum. It didn't pickup a shit ton of sand either when left on the beach.
big_WL_CLN_US_8oz_BS_1108_ACT_RGB.jpg
big_WL_CLN_US_8oz_BS_1108_ACT_RGB.jpg (39.17 KiB) Viewed 917 times
I can only advocate the Clean Ride as it's the one lube in their line that's wax based. All the others a petroleum variant that probably isn't going to be good for your lines.

Worth a shot.

Plasti Dip??...........are you guys taking crazy pills? That junk flakes off of your car with a slight graze from a fingernail. It would never setup strong enough to be a PU tubes equivalent.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:13 pm

I dunno why sand doesn't stick to it, just that it works

Bill C
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Bill C » Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:27 am

edt wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:13 pm
I dunno why sand doesn't stick to it, just that it works

Agreed. Bees wax does not cause sand to stick and it hardens and extends the life of the chicken loop line.

CaptainArgh
Very Frequent Poster
Style: freeride, surf, slicks, dwindr exploring
Gear: SS RPM 6, SST 8/10 and Rally 12

Postby CaptainArgh » Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:43 pm

POACHER wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:55 pm
...I can only advocate the Clean Ride as it's the one lube in their line that's wax based. All the others a petroleum variant that probably isn't going to be good for your lines.

Worth a shot.

Plasti Dip??...........are you guys taking crazy pills? That junk flakes off of your car with a slight graze from a fingernail. It would never setup strong enough to be a PU tubes equivalent.
Well, he started it by bringing up the Shoe Goo!! :lol: :lol:

I use that bike lube. On my bike. It's good stuff. I'd worry what else is in there as a binder though.

In any case, I don't put anything on my depower line. It's never really been an issue. You guys must kite a lot more than me or hang on to gear longer. Don't get me wrong, I've seen my share of shredded depower lines, but those are usually on old bars.

Return to “Kitesurfing”