Local Beach: Golden Gardens, Richmond Beach, Double Bluff
Favorite Beaches: Double Bluff, The Hatchery, Damon Point
Style: Freeride
Gear: Naish, Board Riding Maui
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Tips for board offs in thick booties?

Postby Osprey1 » Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:14 pm

8 months out of the year I ride 5 millimeter booties at my local spot due to the water temps being around 46F. When wearing booties I always have a lot of trouble getting my feet completely back in my straps after doing a board off. Often I only get my toes into the straps even when riding them very loose (riding Naish Apex 2 straps). Riding with bare feet I experience no problems. Does anyone have any practice tips for board-offs with booties?

(BTW. I'm loving working on board-offs again after years of wakestyle stuff. So fun to go huge, take-off the board and spin it to win it!)

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Re: Tips for board offs in thick booties?

Postby edt » Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:23 pm

Try neoprene socks. for free riding use your booties then come in switch to neoprene socks for the boardoffs. neoprene socks are very fragile don't walk around in them but they work great for cold weather boardoffs. you can wear neoprene socks under your booties if the fit isn't too tight

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:36 pm

try different straps. No idea how big you can make yours...but you need them huge with booties.

I have 47 and barefoot my straps are still like 57...I use older ones from Flysurfer. Also tried those from Tne Kiteboarding, they can be made big too (not as FS ones) and a still are soft at the inside...important when barefoot.

Other than that...I guess those socks are a good idea...if not too cold. Try and leet us know what worked for you.

And welcome back to the fun part of the sport :-)

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg, 1.78m
Local Beach: West & East Wittering (UK South Coast)
Style: Make it up as I go along
Gear: Bars, Kites
Twintips, Directional

Postby iriejohn » Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:56 pm

Osprey1 wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:14 pm
8 months out of the year I ride 5 millimeter booties at my local spot due to the water temps being around 46F. When wearing booties I always have a lot of trouble getting my feet completely back in my straps after doing a board off. Often I only get my toes into the straps even when riding them very loose (riding Naish Apex 2 straps). Riding with bare feet I experience no problems. Does anyone have any practice tips for board-offs with booties?

(BTW. I'm loving working on board-offs again after years of wakestyle stuff. So fun to go huge, take-off the board and spin it to win it!)
Fit North Entity (NTT) straps, they have different width settings so I use the widest when wearing boots in winter. Works for me (couldn't get booted feet into Naish Apex 2 straps).

matth
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Revere, Nahant, Chapin, West Dennis, Hardings , Kalmus, First Encounter, Dog, yerril, Wing
Favorite Beaches: Wing, West Dennis, Kalmus, Chapin, Revere, Nahant, Dog, Horse Neck, Good Harbor, Yerrill
Style: Freeride
Gear: 7m Slash, 10m Pivot, 10m Slash, 12m Pivot. Firewire Vadar, Duotone Profish, Crazyfly Raptor ltd

Postby matth » Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:38 pm

KY :D

FLandOBX
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Weight: 81 kg
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, North Carolina, USA
Central Florida, USA
Style: Freeride, Airstyle, Hydrofoil
Gear: Cab. Apollos, Cab. Contra One-Struts, FS Speed 4, FS Souls, Axis Ltd 132, RRD Poison 135, SS Ankle Biter, Moses 633, 679 & 590, SS Dwarfcraft 100cm, LF Galaxy 4'2"

Postby FLandOBX » Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:54 am

At 46 degree water temps, I'd probably leave my feet in the straps for extra warmth. :o

But that's not helpful. Sorry.

I am a fan of neoprene dive socks, too, and very loose straps. Honestly, with 5 ml booties, I'm not surprised you have a challenge with your board offs. Combined with a thick wet suit or dry suit, it's gotta' be hard to make 'em happen in the colder months.

A larger board handle might possibly help, because you don't have to be quite as limber and flexible (which is difficult in winter gear). But if it's just about the feet due to increased size and decreased sensitivity from 5 ml booties, you might experiment with modifications to your foot-straps to make them larger. I haven't done this, but I may.....I'm always at the maximum size setting on all my board straps, and another inch or two might be helpful for quick entry at the end of a board-off. An extra piece of velcro or two on each strap might make re-entry easier in the booties.

Good luck, and let us know if you come up with a good solution.

knotwindy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: baja, gorge
Style: erratic to none
Gear: yes, I use gear

Postby knotwindy » Fri Oct 06, 2017 1:38 am

Uhhmmm
Move to someplace warmer where you can have fun? Just sayin’ it’s a possibility?

winduser
Medium Poster
Gear: 2014

Postby winduser » Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:32 pm

My solution: I cut a small piece of water pipe and insert it.
Attachments
pad.jpg

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:06 pm

Winduser: solution for what?

Cold temperatures are a big problem for flexibility.

The neoprene and stiffness make it a huge difference.

Moving to a warmer place should be a real option to consider. Frustration vs fun. Life will be different. I was lucky enough to be able to go away. My Kiting in Germany is a much lower level..

And there are many people who did it already too..life changes to the better.

winduser
Medium Poster
Gear: 2014

Postby winduser » Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:24 pm

Easier to entry with boots because the top strap is more upside Not everybody can move to warmer place.This solution work for me.

Return to “Kitesurfing”