Gear: Infexion bars
Brand Affiliation: Infexion

Re: Boosting Hydrofoil

Postby evan » Sun Oct 08, 2017 3:10 pm

Horst Sergio wrote:
Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:52 am
Thanks a lot for your shared experience evan, :thumb:

Some questions about the foil:
I also had an eye on the aspect HW for getting better control around 40-50 km/h and therefore better boosting.
Do you use is with the long fuselage and bionic back wing? And would you supscribe it works a lot better for a 62 kg for that, without loosing too much buttom end? What is your weight?
Is the aspect HW more or less the "tachyon" you described more than a year ago?

Some questions about the kite:
Actually I just habe an old 15 m² Chrono1, which feels also with short lines (tried 12,14,16 m) just to big for my weight and serious boosting, but maybe just experience. On the other hand my 9 m² sonic should be great, but around our mountain lakes not so often enough wind around and above 20 knts for serious tries. Fear I have to buy some 11 m² maybe even Aero or SonicRace one time to get more experience here. What line length are you using and are you doing top loops to come down? Peter Müller is doing great spectacular top loops with something like 15 m² kites and bigger, but just 15 m lines maybe less. But I am still scared to do toploops with shorter setup than 9 m² and 21 m lines.
aspect hw = tachyon. Top speed for me is the same and it does not give more control at speed compared to the bionic 2017 front wing and is a bit harder to tack because of the higher stall speed. The high-end is slightly better and It reacts less to the windchop you get in stronger winds. So in gnarly conditions It is the wing to choose or when you only do big-air.

Use the 2017 prepreg mast and bionic stabiliser. Lines the same as racing so as short as possible, gives more high-end and a snappier takeoff. Still affraid to do a loop landing with a foil attached, tried some but timing and landing are more sketchy compared to a double helikopter floating down from 20m on a tt wich you can bail with less hassle. Just bounce a bit with your feet in the air :lol:

Chrono v1 is a kite that pulls like a truck, latest foilkites are much more manageable when powerd up.

I didn't try jumping tubes on the hydrofoil but if It is the same difference as on a tt a foilkite wins by a big margin. The only big equalizer are very stong winds, in less and less wind the difference becomes bigger and bigger. On the tt i hit 20m with the 7m aero with gusts up to 40kn where i got stuck at max 18m with a 7m c-kite and 50kn gusts.

Kitemanmuc
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Style: Big Air, Kiteloops, Hydrofoil, Wave
Gear: Eleveight

Postby Kitemanmuc » Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:41 pm

evan wrote:
Sun Oct 08, 2017 3:10 pm
Horst Sergio wrote:

I also had an eye on the aspect HW for getting better control around 40-50 km/h and therefore better boosting.
Do you use is with the long fuselage and bionic back wing? And would you supscribe it works a lot better for a 62 kg for that, without loosing too much buttom end? What is your weight?

Actually I just habe an old 15 m² Chrono1, which feels also with short lines (tried 12,14,16 m) just to big for my weight and serious boosting, but maybe just experience. On the other hand my 9 m² sonic should be great, but around our mountain lakes not so often enough wind around and above 20 knts for serious tries. Fear I have to buy some 11 m² maybe even Aero or SonicRace one time to get more experience here. What line length are you using and are you doing top loops to come down? Peter Müller is doing great spectacular top loops with something like 15 m² kites and bigger, but just 15 m lines maybe less. But I am still scared to do toploops with shorter setup than 9 m² and 21 m lines.
aspect hw = tachyon. Top speed for me is the same and it does not give more control at speed compared to the bionic 2017 front wing and is a bit harder to tack because of the higher stall speed. The high-end is slightly better and It reacts less to the windchop you get in stronger winds. So in gnarly conditions It is the wing to choose or when you only do big-air.

Use the 2017 prepreg mast and bionic stabiliser. Lines the same as racing so as short as possible, gives more high-end and a snappier takeoff. Still affraid to do a loop landing with a foil attached, tried some but timing and landing are more sketchy compared to a double helikopter floating down from 20m on a tt wich you can bail with less hassle. Just bounce a bit with your feet in the air :lol:

Chrono v1 is a kite that pulls like a truck, latest foilkites are much more manageable when powerd up.

I didn't try jumping tubes on the hydrofoil but if It is the same difference as on a tt a foilkite wins by a big margin. The only big equalizer are very stong winds, in less and less wind the difference becomes bigger and bigger. On the tt i hit 20m with the 7m aero with gusts up to 40kn where i got stuck at max 18m with a 7m c-kite and 50kn gusts.
Thanks!

Kitemanmuc
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Style: Big Air, Kiteloops, Hydrofoil, Wave
Gear: Eleveight

Postby Kitemanmuc » Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:52 pm

evan wrote:
Sun Oct 08, 2017 3:10 pm
Horst Sergio wrote:

What happens to the kite if you crash in such high winds?
Do you ever have safety concerns?

cwood
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Southern Ontario
Gear: Flysurfer
Moses Hydrofoil
Brand Affiliation: Moses, Flysurfer

Postby cwood » Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:08 pm

davesails7 wrote:
Sun Oct 08, 2017 2:36 pm
The lighter the wind is, the more of an advantage you get from the hydrofoil and the more advantage you get from the foil kites.

There was a post a long time ago about how jump height is limited by converting your kinetic energy (relative to apparent wind speed) into potential energy of jump height. With the hydrofoil and big foil kite, you can hit 30 knots apparent wind as soon as there is enough wind to waterstart, so the wind speed doesn't affect your jump height nearly as much as it does on the twintip.

Technique is even more important when boosting on the hydrofoil than on the twintip. We had a Woo big air competition at a race. It was blowing 25 knots. Lots of guys were boosting in the 30-40 ft range on a mix of LEI and foil kites, twintips and hydrofoils. One was hitting 50 feet on twintip and hydrofoil. Then Nico Parlier was hitting 60 ft! I wouldn't have guessed that the right technique would get you more than twice the height of a relatively good rider on similar gear.
It absolutely does make a huge difference. Around here the reasonably skilled foil boosters are at least 10 feet on the twintips, the guys who have it nailed are another 10 feet at least on top of that. If you get north of 30 knots then a skilled twintiper can close the gap....but the best thing about the foil is great height at sub 20 knots. I had 15 to 18 today and was close to 40 feet on a 9m. So much fun!

evan
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Local Beach: Brouwersdam
Style: Hydrofoil - Big Air
Gear: Infexion bars
Brand Affiliation: Infexion

Postby evan » Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:32 pm

Kitemanmuc wrote:
Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:52 pm
What happens to the kite if you crash in such high winds?
Do you ever have safety concerns?
Can you explain wat exactly you want to know before i start typing an extensive explanation?

Do-it
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: North and Ocean Rodeo

Postby Do-it » Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:53 am

Boosting hydrofoils........ this shit makes airstyle hardcore.

deniska
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Plumb Beach
Favorite Beaches: Cabarete
Gear: FS, Core
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby deniska » Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:50 pm

when people say 40-60ft boosts is that visual impression or woo?
I don't think woo works great with hydrofoils.
we have a guy who keeps getting silly reads from woo in 50-90ft range on almost every foil session..
visually, he is in 30-40ft range.

BOEMIX
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sant Pere Pescador (Spain)
Favorite Beaches: Etang de l'Eole, La Franqui (France)
Style: Freeriding
Gear: Kites: ozone: Flusurfer Soul15m, Flusurfer Peak 11m, Flysurfer Peak 8m, Ozone access 6m, Ozone Enduro 7 and 10m, Ozone Edge 13m,
Boards: Naish Bullet 5,4, Liewe Shotgun 138x41, Custom Saul 145x45, Custom Race TTBoard, Custom Rikyshapes foil board with Sabfoil.

For winging: Duotone 5'5 Aluula Unit, Takuma Ride3 5m, Cabrinha Mantis 4m, Slinshot 3'2, and also Custom Rikyshapes winging with Sabfoil as the biard/foil.
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby BOEMIX » Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:42 pm

I think if you are very skilled you can jump higher with foilkites, but the spots I kite regularly higher winds equal gustier too.

Also I never foilboost in anything smaller than 9m cause the lack of hangtime of smaller kites makes me land very hard on the wing an it worries me a bit to broke my 2000 € toy.

But as mates said before, the magic of foilboosting is that you can have a lot of fun in 10 knots or so, with a 15m foil/foil board combo.

Return to “Hydrofoil”