Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Outer Banks foiling spots

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
BWD
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Outer Banks foiling spots

Postby BWD » Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:32 pm

Good to hear. I long for a shorter mast, having spent a lot of time wading this summer...

Dspace
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Kill Devil Hills, Outer Banks
Gear: RRD H-Flight foil, LF Happy Foil board, Switchblades, Drifters, TB tt
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Dspace » Thu Sep 07, 2017 12:36 am

See attached for parking and rigging. Not a perfect spot by any means, and definitely a stretch for a 90 cm mast to work (solid W-NW required with knowledge of the shallow spots, and skills in order to squeeze out around the islands), but as AGK says, 60-75cm works fine
Attachments
FoilSpotB.jpg

Hugh2
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Weight: 180lb/82kg
Local Beach: Clinton Lake in East-Central Illinois
Favorite Beaches: Cape Hatteras and Cape Town (also sailing around the world, this season crossed the South Pacific)
Style: freeride
Gear: Cabrinha Nomad 5.5, Naish Pivot 6, 7, 9, 10 and 11, Duotone Dice 12
Long Ocean 136, Eleveight Master C+ 136, Naish Global 6'0", RB Sixty 3 Matador 5' 8", Slingshot Hoverglide H5 foil and Alien Air 4' 6" and Converter boards

Postby Hugh2 » Thu Sep 07, 2017 5:19 am

A couple more spots.

First, you can foil at Canadian Hole when the wind is too light for windsurfers, and check the Google view, you can get out the NW side of it to deeper water in the open sound.

second, if you are staying at or near Island Creek you can ride in the channels out to deeper water, if you stay south of the wind instrument stand.

third, if the wind is west you can ride up and down the channel north of Avon, from first or second turnout, again, check Google images.

And of course if the waves are not too hectic, you have endless ocean options.

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Flyboy » Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:08 am

Thinking of getting a shorter mast to use in Hatteras with my Zeeko Blue & White. Would a 60cm or a 70cm make the most sense?

Rotule
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Plattsburgh City Beach, NY
Favorite Beaches: Plattsburgh City Beach, NY
Gear: Core Section 4M, Section 2 6M. GTS 3 9M
Moses Onda 71 HL
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Rotule » Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:25 am

we have been riding today with 60cm short strut at kitepoint,

You just have to look out where you are going but it works pretty well. We'll probably end up there for two weeks ;) :bye:

pikovsg
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Boston, Cape Cod, Outer Banks
Favorite Beaches: Cape Cod, Tarifa, Maui, Cabarete, Guadeloupe, Pleasure Bay.
Any session with a BRM Cloud and a hydrofoil.
Style: Soul, Freestyle, Race
Gear: -
Duotone Dice SLS, BRM Clouds, Ozone R1V2
Lift 150, Moses 637
Triton Custom V3 Bat 37", Temavento Sync
Carved Imperator

Postby pikovsg » Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:57 pm

Just got back from foiling at OBX. Found a few spots but did not enjoy it. The biggest problem is weeds - tons of them, floating all over the bay above and below the surface. There are so many little strands of brown weeds that it makes foiling everywhere near impossible for more than a few minutes.

junebug
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 195 lbs
Style: Freeride Twintip, Strapless Foil
Gear: Rebels (6m, 8m, 11m, 13m)
Nobile NHP
Boxers (3.5m, 4m, 5m, 7m, 10m, 12m) (flat water)
Peak4s (3m, 4m, 5m, 6m) (waves)
Lift 150 v1 Surf front / 38 back (flat water)
Lift 170 v1 Surf front / 26 back (waves)

Postby junebug » Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:28 pm

pikovsg wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:57 pm
Just got back from foiling at OBX. Found a few spots but did not enjoy it. The biggest problem is weeds - tons of them, floating all over the bay above and below the surface. There are so many little strands of brown weeds that it makes foiling everywhere near impossible for more than a few minutes.
I don't know for sure, but I would assume this was due to the combination of hurricane storm surge, full-moon tides, and strong East - Northeast winds all piling water higher than usual and pulling the dead marsh grass (spartina) out into the sound and ocean on the receding tide. I live in South Carolina and we are having the same issue. I went out on Sunday and couldn't go more than 100 yards without hitting a floating clump of grass. I saw lots of other things in the water that would've done serious damage to my foil -- like pier pilings, tree trunks, and assorted trash -- but fortunately I didn't hit anything other than grass.

davesails7
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 75 kg
Local Beach: Virginia Beach
Style: Race
Gear: ML B3
R1V2 11. VMG 13, 15, 18
OR Mako 130x35

Postby davesails7 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:31 pm

Yeah, the sea grass comes and goes in the outer banks.

Just north of OBX in Virginia Beach we usually never have seaweed, but the last couple of weeks, I've been hitting weed/grass quite a bit. One day couldn't foil at all because of it. I think this was because of the hurricanes passing by off the coast.

cwood
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Southern Ontario
Gear: Flysurfer
Moses Hydrofoil
Brand Affiliation: Moses, Flysurfer

Postby cwood » Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:36 pm

pikovsg wrote:
Can you be specific to the places you tried? On the sound in Avon in May there was not a single strand encountered.

Dave K
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Outer Banks
Style: Knee friendly strapless kite/wing foil
Gear: 10 m Airush Ultra / 7M Switch Helium, 5M RRD Passion, 120cm Groove Skate. Duotone Slick SLS 6/5/4/3m, Cabrinha Code 5’0”/78l wing board, Gong Veloce V2 L, XL., XXL, Gong Fluid V2 L, pro Fluid 42cm/freestyle 44 stabilizers, Gong HM 85cm V2 carbon mast, 75cm Al mast. Foil Drive + and 40L slingshot prone foil board

Postby Dave K » Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:04 am

cwood wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:36 pm
pikovsg wrote:
Can you be specific to the places you tried? On the sound in Avon in May there was not a single strand encountered.
Sound grass buildup is common everywhere south of Oregon Inlet starting in June and continuing right into fall. Frisco Campground has been just as grassy as Avon and Rodanthe this year. Some years are worse than others, and this year was one of those. That's why several of us locals often foil from the even site (next to Millers Restaurant) in Nags Head, generally on 60-70 cm masts. No grass all summer. Once out past the small islands it's a pretty consistent 4' to 4 1/2' depth.

Nags Head definitely isn't the standard OBX kiteboard destination, so visitors drag their kite foil gear down to the traditional locations they know and the above result is what you get

Return to “Hydrofoil”