Gear: Switch Fone
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Sonic2 vs. R1V2 vs. Speed5...

Postby MartinRaz » Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:55 am

Looking to buy a new lightwind weapon.

Can you help me decide which one?

Have been kitesurfing for 18 years. Flying Flysurfer kites from 2002 to 2009.
Now with the hydrofoil I am considering foil kites again.

I will not be competing.
Prefer a kite, that handle lowwind really well - but I will not like to swim in. A kite with a range, so I can fly it when the wind picks up a bit.

Which kite should I go for?
Have also been offered Fone V3 - but heard bad things about V2 and V1.
Also been looking at the Aeros Navy 2 - but not easy to find info about it.

Weighing 88kg, should it be the 15m2?

socommk23
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Hill head
Favorite Beaches: Brean. Uphill. Pembrey. Hill head. Meon shore
Style: Keeping the kite dry....hopefully
Gear: F.one diablo 15, 11 and 8m . Pansh aurora2 15m. Pansh sprints and firsts and Adams and flux .

Re: Sonic2 vs. R1V2 vs. Speed5...

Postby socommk23 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:22 am

What "bad things" about the diablo v1? I have these and not a bad word to say about them.

MartinRaz
Rare Poster

Postby MartinRaz » Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:46 am

Heard that the 15 m2 bowtie and "make the caramel" often

And that it pulls like a tractor

socommk23
Frequent Poster
Gear: F.one diablo 15, 11 and 8m . Pansh aurora2 15m. Pansh sprints and firsts and Adams and flux .

Postby socommk23 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:07 am

All foil kites have the possibility to bowtie, but that comes down to pilot error. No one kite has a tendency to bow tie more than another. Tip tucks maybe (diablo doesn't do this, ozone kites are known for it) but not bowtie. Ime

Hardwater Kiter
Frequent Poster
Style: Rough and tumble
Gear: Ram air and single skin Foil kites. Long skis to truck, short skis to huck.
Brand Affiliation: www.hardwaterkiter.com Authorized retailers of Flysurfer. Ozone, HQ kites and Gin kites.

Postby Hardwater Kiter » Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:15 pm

2nd Socomms opinion on "bad things" that foils do. Ask the people who complain most about bowties and tip curl, how much foil kite experience they had before they bought one of these "problematic" foils.

Of the options you've presented, the Speed is going to be the most user friendly, durable and have better light wind performance than any LEI you've ever flown. The other two options are amazing light wind kites but unless you have expert foil kite handling, they would be a waste of material. Owning a Formula 1 and knowing how to drive one, are different things. And pure bred racing gear, designed with performance in mind, not durability.

You may also want to consider Ozone Chrono V2 for what IMO is the best mix of light wind performance and user friendly. A close second, and good on a budget, would be an older R1V1. Still amazing performance and tough as nails. Can be found used for cheap.

MartinRaz
Rare Poster

Postby MartinRaz » Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:47 pm

Hardwater Kiter wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:15 pm
Of the options you've presented, the Speed is going to be the most user friendly, durable and have better light wind performance than any LEI you've ever flown. The other two options are amazing light wind kites but unless you have expert foil kite handling, they would be a waste of material. Owning a Formula 1 and knowing how to drive one, are different things. And pure bred racing gear, designed with performance in mind, not durability.

You may also want to consider Ozone Chrono V2 for what IMO is the best mix of light wind performance and user friendly. A close second, and good on a budget, would be an older R1V1. Still amazing performance and tough as nails. Can be found used for cheap.
Have flown foils a lot, but since I will not be competing, seems best option would be Speed or ChronoV2.

Yes, have seen cheap R1V1 - but heard they stick or suck water - so not easy to relaunch.

Speed 5 seems to be the one then - should I go for 15m2 as lightwind weapon?

socommk23
Frequent Poster

Postby socommk23 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:31 pm

Speed 5 is a very nice kite. The son I s are also very good and a little quicker.

f2020
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Phuket
Favorite Beaches: Phuket
Style: Kitefoil Performance and freeride
Gear: Taaroa Sword RS Ti 2018 UHM
Taaroa Sword RS 2017
Taaroa Sword2 Race Wing 2016
Ozone R1V2
Cabrinha Switchblades
RRD Passion MK9
Brand Affiliation: NONE

Postby f2020 » Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:53 am

I’m 93 kg. I’ve owned chrono v2 13m and 18m for low end on hydrofoil. I now have the R1V2 15m for low end and its great. The R1V2 15m has more power than the chrono V2 18m while kite looping to water start. It has a wider wind range, more performance and it’s easier to relaunch if it fallls in the water (it has half the air intakes than the chrono v2 so that it takes water more slowly too). Only drawback it’s a bit more technical to launch at first because it fills with air more slowly than the chrono v2 but when you understand how it works it’s ok.

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:14 am

No love for the Sonic 2? I've flown only the 18m but in both 1 and 2. The 2 is more stable and an excellent foil kite, but I prefer the 1 for light wind TT riding. 2 is a little soft, less aggressive and as it's lighter stays in the air with slack lines better. After the Sonic, the Speed 5 felt a bit . . . slow.

twig
Medium Poster
Style: freeride/boosting/Hydrofoil/race
Gear: Flysurfer speed4 lotus 12m
Flysurfer Sonic fr 18m
Flysurfer Sonic2 15m
North Vegas 11m
Flysurfer sonic race 9m
Ozone Reov4 7m

Moses Vorace 101 2017
w558 w590

Flysurfer Flysplit m

Postby twig » Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:26 am

Kamikuza wrote:
Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:14 am
No love for the Sonic 2? I've flown only the 18m but in both 1 and 2. The 2 is more stable and an excellent foil kite, but I prefer the 1 for light wind TT riding. 2 is a little soft, less aggressive and as it's lighter stays in the air with slack lines better. After the Sonic, the Speed 5 felt a bit . . . slow.

Hi

I just got my 2nd kite the sonic 1 18m for light wind tt riding. Im happy to hear that you prefer the 1 over 2, i just could not afford the 2.
Sonic 1 18 feels solid in the air and has good depower.

So you think the sonic 1 is faster then the speed 5, is there more reasons for you to shoose sonic1 before speed5? And how is it that sonic1 is more agressive then sonic2 when sonic2 is a faster kite from what ive heard?

Thanks
Last edited by twig on Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Foil Kites”