Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Whats a good used kite to learn kiteloops on?

Forum for kitesurfers
Adventure Logs
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Padre Island, Texas
Punta del Diablo, Urugay
Gear: Flysurfer, Moses, Groove, Gin
Brand Affiliation: None

Whats a good used kite to learn kiteloops on?

Postby Adventure Logs » Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:53 pm

Looking to learn how to kiteloop, so looking for a good used kite around 3 years old to learn on. 99% of my kiting has been with foil kites so I've been out of the loop on inflates. What do you guys suggest? Thanks

=Jason-

ChickenD!ken
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: It’s MY beach.
Favorite Beaches: Empty ones
Style: Sodomite Stance/Forbidden Footjob
Gear: Your mother aka “My Unholy Armada”
Brand Affiliation: Corporate espionage’s Inspector Clouseau
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Whats a good used kite to learn kiteloops on?

Postby ChickenD!ken » Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:08 pm

Hi Jason,

Are we talking heliloop beginner stuff then I suggest used (in no particular order): Rebel, Rally, Switchblade, Riot XR and I’m forgetting a bunch of others someone else can fill in.

If you want to be ready to take on high powered loops: Fuel, C4, Vegas, GTS, FiftyFifty, Fuel, RPM and yes, many more that others can fill in.

Just go for a bow kite from a reputable brand and when you buy, check the trailing edge if it feels considerably worn. If it feels like tissue paper it’s a no go, in my opinion. Trailing edge is usually the first to go if the kite hasn’t had any major knocks and the seller has ensured there aren’t any outstanding repairs.

Cheers.
Last edited by ChickenD!ken on Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Adventure Logs
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Padre Island, Texas
Punta del Diablo, Urugay
Gear: Flysurfer, Moses, Groove, Gin

Postby Adventure Logs » Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:15 pm

I'm looking for something that's pretty easy to learn power loops on. I can downloop/heliloop pretty well with my foils already. Thanks

ChickenD!ken
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: It’s MY beach.
Favorite Beaches: Empty ones
Style: Sodomite Stance/Forbidden Footjob
Gear: Your mother aka “My Unholy Armada”
Brand Affiliation: Corporate espionage’s Inspector Clouseau

Postby ChickenD!ken » Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:20 pm

Adventure Logs wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:15 pm
I'm looking for something that's pretty easy to learn power loops on. I can downloop/heliloop pretty well with my foils already. Thanks
Sorry, was doing an edit to previous comment. Then forget the bow kites and go for a c-shape or full on c-kite if that’s your thing.

wind chaser
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Local Beach: California
Style: Free-Surf-Foil
Gear: Slingshot, Best, Duotone

Postby wind chaser » Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:29 pm

Consider looking into Slingshot RPMs. They are very well rounded kites (wakestyle, freestyle, wave, etc.) and hybrid C. Easy to loop and inversions are rare.

zig zag
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Cook St Victoria BC Canada
Favorite Beaches: Nitinat Lake, Cook St
Style: Free
Gear: 5/7/9.5/12 Prodigy, 8 Razor
Brand Affiliation: Ocean Rodeo

Postby zig zag » Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:57 pm

#Razor... #loopit...

Ocean Rodeo Razors' are a go to for anyone looking for powered loops! not very forgiving when learning but you'll get it!

the Prodigy loops well enough too and is much more forgiving!

jeromeL
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Longisland NY
Style: freestyle
Gear: Fone Bandit 2014 12m^2, 2015 9, 2015 7, 2015 14
Best GP 2015 9m
Star Sirius V2 12m
Nobile Fity/50 138cm
Naish Apex bindings.
Zeeko Green and White + Shinn El Stubbo

Postby jeromeL » Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:51 pm

Depends on local condition and wind, If you plan on learning on 9m, definitely get a C kite with fifth line, like Torch, GP. I guess Vegas, Fuel (if not gusty), Chaos. C4 seems to get good review too. haven't tried RPM and others.

Wind for 9m and speed of kite make it quite essential for kite to catch you very early (unless you boost of a ramp than sends you 30 feet up...).

If it is a smaller size like 8m or 7m you can probably get away with learning on any other kite. Also C kite are a lot cheaper used ;) since it has a "pro" reputation.

I tried Ocean Rodeo Razor 10m, it loops well but quite grunty, not sure how 9m is but from what I have tried I don't recommend to learn on... Also I don't really like how the power builds up in that kite, hard to explain. Maybe 9m is better.

Anyway I tried learning on Bandit 9m with stock line, it was quite a pain, by the time I got a C kite I could land some when condition where perfect but as soon as I switched I could land 99% of time even on poor looping condition just because kite catch you so much easier.

For example Cabrinha FX 9m is supposed to be great looping kite, I can loop it but I can tell back to back the GP catch me a lot earlier as soon as I sheet in, when FX you need to initiate the heliloop a bit earlier.

Another thing is that some hybrid kite have a weird power in the loop, the kite doesn't pull right away but when it accelerates it yanks you on a weird spike, which is hard to handle when you learn. on C the power seems more constant even though perhaps a bit gruntier.

Once your technique is better you can loop anything but in the beginning for a 9m I think you need a C!

ichabod
Medium Poster
Gear: kite, strings, short wooden plank

Postby ichabod » Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:56 pm

Talking of that weird power spike in the loop for some hybrids I know exactly what you mean I've noticed it with many kites - very disconcerting. As a side note, I tried a North Dice 9m recently and was surprised to discover a similar power spike in the loop even though its supposed to be a great looper. I realised it was rigged with the rear lines in the 'Soft' position. Changing them to the 'Hard' setting completely transformed the kite and made it loop nice and smooth more like my 2014 Vegas. So advice to anyone on a hybrid like the dice - always run in the harder rear setting, kite feels so much better!

pj sofine
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Style: silly
Gear: naish pivots 9,11, rpm 7,8,10,12 cf raptor ltd 136,140

Postby pj sofine » Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:27 pm

Forget the "easy" kites. There's no shortcuts, just have to take your lumps like the rest of us! rpm is my choice,have a fuel for epic sessions. Lots of choices, lots of good advice from these guys.

jeromeL
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Longisland NY
Style: freestyle
Gear: Fone Bandit 2014 12m^2, 2015 9, 2015 7, 2015 14
Best GP 2015 9m
Star Sirius V2 12m
Nobile Fity/50 138cm
Naish Apex bindings.
Zeeko Green and White + Shinn El Stubbo

Postby jeromeL » Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:13 pm

ichabod wrote:
Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:56 pm
Talking of that weird power spike in the loop for some hybrids I know exactly what you mean I've noticed it with many kites - very disconcerting. As a side note, I tried a North Dice 9m recently and was surprised to discover a similar power spike in the loop even though its supposed to be a great looper. I realised it was rigged with the rear lines in the 'Soft' position. Changing them to the 'Hard' setting completely transformed the kite and
ichabod wrote:
Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:56 pm
Talking of that weird power spike in the loop for some hybrids I know exactly what you mean I've noticed it with many kites - very disconcerting. As a side note, I tried a North Dice 9m recently and was surprised to discover a similar power spike in the loop even though its supposed to be a great looper. I realised it was rigged with the rear lines in the 'Soft' position. Changing them to the 'Hard' setting completely transformed the kite and made it loop nice and smooth more like my 2014 Vegas. So advice to anyone on a hybrid like the dice - always run in the harder rear setting, kite feels so much better!
That's interesting, also considering bandit bar pressure is relatively soft on 9m, could be interesting to try it out. Though I notice spike only on high range. on medium loop not so much. Once you are used to keep knee and core strong your don't get yanked out of place so spike could be fun ;) I should take it out again side by side with my best GP next loop session, could be fun to compare now that I am better at loop, made it loop nice and smooth more like my 2014 Vegas. So advice to anyone on a hybrid like the dice - always run in the harder rear setting, kite feels so much better!

Return to “Kitesurfing”