Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Rebel 2018 vs. Core XR5

Forum for kitesurfers
iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg, 1.78m
Local Beach: West & East Wittering (UK South Coast)
Style: Make it up as I go along
Gear: Bars, Kites
Twintips, Directional
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Rebel 2018 vs. Core XR5

Postby iriejohn » Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:28 pm

Wouldn't it be simpler just to make the steering lines longer by attaching, for example, an extra pair of 4 inch pigtails then making the front trim longer to compensate thus increasing 'depower' by 4 inches? It's what I'd do on my setup, or is this more complicated with a Core bar???

Afoul
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Mission Bay Park & Sail Bay
Favorite Beaches: REAL Slick
Style: Freeride and Surfing
Gear: Core XR4's, Boardriding Maui Clouds, Shinn Red/King Gee/Capri GT, Tomo Vanguard
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Afoul » Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:16 pm

iriejohn wrote:
Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:28 pm
Wouldn't it be simpler just to make the steering lines longer by attaching, for example, an extra pair of 4 inch pigtails then making the front trim longer to compensate thus increasing 'depower' by 4 inches? It's what I'd do on my setup, or is this more complicated with a Core bar???
Certainly possible, but "simpler" could be argued (and I'm sure someone will). And you would need to add * inches of trim-line to get 4 effective inches of trim since it's a 2:1 system. But I get what you mean.

The Core trim line is a spectra-line with a bungee-line sheath. The bungee is stretched and really does nothing on the part of the trim-line that is fast to the cleat, goes up through the metal ring (that the legs of the Y attach to), and back down through through the jaws of the cleat. The tail of the trim-line becomes scrunched together due to the bungee sheath around it, making a bit shorter so it doesn't dangle as much. Then there is some Velcro at the end of the tail to stick it to the side of the cleat to get it out of the way farther.

You'll lose that bungeed tail if you do what you describe...unless you know how to splice bungee around spectra. I found a video on YouTube a couple years ago that walk you through doing it, and I did it for some headsail lead adjusting lines on my sailboat. Was a pain in the ass.
PullStrings wrote:
Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:24 pm
Here is what i do since since the bar can be pulled in close to the body to power up because of compact rotor QR
Slide up the bar floats and lengthen on the knots the back lines all the way out....equals 2 3/8 inches ( 6cm )..the kite will still fly great...XR5 don't like to be chocked..let it breathe
Effectiveness of depower will increase similar as if the depower trow was longer or trim was longer

Want even more depower effect
Put the back lines at wingtip pigtail all the way out ( longer )

Want even more depower effect
Move the pigtail itself on the wingtip the the central position instead of all the way out to the tip...tiny bit more bar pressure...but kite will open up more sheeting out to spill wind
Everything PullStrings said here is correct from my experience with my XR4's.
Last edited by Afoul on Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PullStrings
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: LEI's & Surfboards

Postby PullStrings » Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:20 pm

On the Sensor 2 S you cannot make the trim line longer...it is a fixed length of grey color bungee line
Bungee so it can reduce the length pulled through the cleat..less line dangle on velcro tab
So the simplest way to give more depower is to adjust under the floats and make the back lines 2 3/8 inches longer...for grand total of 4 1/2" + 2 3/8 " = 6 7/8 inches

What you did with your bar is a good way to do it...when possible iriejohn

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg, 1.78m
Local Beach: West & East Wittering (UK South Coast)
Style: Make it up as I go along
Gear: Bars, Kites
Twintips, Directional

Postby iriejohn » Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:07 pm

I'd use an Ozone bar, far more configuration flexibility with a magnetic trim line attachment, and far less expensive. Simples.

Chicken-loop
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Weight: 100kg
Style: Wave/Freeride
Gear: 2019 Naish Pivot 8m
2020 Naish Pivot 10m
2021 Naish Boxer 14m
2018 North Nugget 5.3
2021 Duotone Fish SLS 5.5

Postby Chicken-loop » Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:18 am

If I need to lengthen lines mid session, I would be pumping up a smaller kite. I have no interest in using a kite in it upper limits, however I believe it is good to have the ability to dump most of the power in a kites upper limits... but that's just my preference.

Kitemanmuc
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Style: Big Air, Kiteloops, Hydrofoil, Wave
Gear: Eleveight

Postby Kitemanmuc » Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:53 pm

pikovsg wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:46 pm
If you tried both kites, please tell us which you prefer and why. Go!
Don’t mean to make things complicated, but I am a huge Rebel and XR5 fan. Then I tried the new Ozone Edge.....woah.
If you are looking for a big boosting kite with loads of hang time, you won’t find an LEI that’s better. Rebel is a little quicker and sportier but doesn’t reach the vertical performance the Edge does. XR5 is awesome but i don’t like the bar much. Snapped mine in half twice. And that was the “carbon” one.

PullStrings
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: LEI's & Surfboards

Postby PullStrings » Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:27 am

Chicken-loop wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:18 am
If I need to lengthen lines mid session, I would be pumping up a smaller kite. I have no interest in using a kite in it upper limits, however I believe it is good to have the ability to dump most of the power in a kites upper limits... but that's just my preference.
The new Rebel has now same linear depower as XR5....push the bar 18 inches and you get a 18 inches effect at spilling wind out of kite
The original Rebel...push the bar 18 inches and you got almost 23 1/2 inches effect at spilling wind out of kite..high " Y " loaded 5th ...getting you 30% more efficiency

Teabageppo
Frequent Poster
Style: Air style - Freeride
Gear: Rebel 10m 2017, nobile carbon NHP 2017, north nugget 2015.

Postby Teabageppo » Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:44 am

I've never gone as big or as long as I've done on a 9m edge in 35 knots (was a 2013 from memory).

I can only imagine the V9 is even better, with some of the crazy race aspect taken out.

But....that is all you can do. I do not trust it through the air for board offs...in nuked conditions that is. Looks as though the V9 can be power looped more easily though....

It is TOO high performance for anything but big ass jumps...too much input needed with the throw and kite positioning during the jump. and get a sneaky suspicion this is still the case with the V9...I will try it soon and find out the reality.

But yeh, that edge has sooooo much potential power that can be converted to height and hang.

Will get my hands on some X5's (I remember owning a quiver of the original Xr's years back and I've tried up to the XR3 I think)..soon. But reading between the lines from what others have said on the forums (and those I've spoken to in person that actually have any clue about the reality of these two kites), I think I already know what the pros and cons will be.

One thing about the rebel (especially the fifth line loaded one) is how much you can trust it...to do rotations, board offs, loops etc through the air. Perfect for board offs etc.

The rebel is - sorry was -not as dynamic as the edge, nor as the XR5 by the sounds of it (although the new version rebel is more dynamic), but that rock solid, dependable - almost too smooth behaviour allowed me to concentrate on my tricks and not the damn kite.

Counter to what most would think, in my opinion, the more advanced you get, the more stable and almost boring you want your kite to be. The stability gives you the freedom to try shit with more margin of error to avoid the hard crashes.

or I'm just getting old...probably the latter hey.

another example before I go is say the switch nitro. What people probably don't get is how damn technical that kite is, with that aspect and C in it. it's not boring enough !!!! Kooks who ride them wouldn't know because they are just putting and up back...but you gotta really be on your game when you lift the complexity of your tricks.

ChickenD!ken
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: It’s MY beach.
Favorite Beaches: Empty ones
Style: Sodomite Stance/Forbidden Footjob
Gear: Your mother aka “My Unholy Armada”
Brand Affiliation: Corporate espionage’s Inspector Clouseau
Been thanked: 0

Postby ChickenD!ken » Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:17 pm

Teabageppo wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:44 am
Counter to what most would think, in my opinion, the more advanced you get, the more stable and almost boring you want your kite to be. The stability gives you the freedom to try shit with more margin of error to avoid the hard crashes.

another example before I go is say the switch nitro. What people probably don't get is how damn technical that kite is, with that aspect and C in it. it's not boring enough !!!! Kooks who ride them wouldn't know because they are just putting and up back...but you gotta really be on your game when you lift the complexity of your tricks.
Sounds like you need to check out the Eleveight line up. I’ve only heard good things so far. So boring as hell. Ha!

And I agree. The more experienced you become, the less kite flying you want to do. It’s really all about the board after a certain point. Doesn’t matter the discipline. Kite flying is easy but once you understand the importance of board control, the kite becomes second priority.

Personally, I just want a solid all-round kite that I can tune to my mood and/or the conditions. No more, no less.

Looking forward to the XR5 review..

kiterocky
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Montpellier
Gear: Wipika
Brand Affiliation: Wipika

Postby kiterocky » Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:21 pm

ChickenD!ken wrote:
Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:17 pm
Teabageppo wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:44 am

Sounds like you need to check out the Eleveight line up. I’ve only heard good things so far. So boring as hell. Ha!

And I agree. The more experienced you become, the less kite flying you want to do. It’s really all about the board after a certain point. Doesn’t matter the discipline. Kite flying is easy but once you understand the importance of board control, the kite becomes second priority.

Personally, I just want a solid all-round kite that I can tune to my mood and/or the conditions. No more, no less.

Looking forward to the XR5 review..
Exactly ..good rider dont watch the kite...they can perform with any kite..mediocre rider always looking for better kites but level of ability want increase with just espensive or last model kite..sorry

Return to “Kitesurfing”