A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
tautologies
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: How to Assemble a Naish Foil Set

Postby tautologies » Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:37 pm

airsail wrote:
Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:36 am
I have one of these myself, happy with the Philips heads as Naish use a neat system of putting the components together, this means there is very little load on the screws that you don't need to tighten them much at all. And the screws are all M6 and readily available in most hardware shops.
The special nuts on the rear stab screws are easily removable for cleaning, otherwise corrosion is a problem between stainless and alloy. Yes, they could have just threaded the alloy fuselage but if you strip the thread you would have to replace the fuselage.
Spare parts are relatively cheap, except for the wings, bought a 70cm mast, cost less than half of the cost of the North Speedster shorter mast.
Overall I am very happy with this foil as my first one, the easy adjustable rear stab made learning easy.
Lots of really good points here. Expanding the set because the parts are interchangeable is pretty key to me. Especially because I want to use many of the same parts both for kiteboarding and surfing. I also like that the screws are available.

dylan*
Very Frequent Poster
Gear:

Postby dylan* » Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:02 pm

definitely agree.

my bolts are frozen on my hover glide and i stripped the allen key holes trying to just muscle them out, and i looked at a new set of hardware for after drilling them out, and it's like $50 for 4 or 6 screws.

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Sun Nov 12, 2017 4:54 am

dylan* wrote:
Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:02 pm
definitely agree.

my bolts are frozen on my hover glide and i stripped the allen key holes trying to just muscle them out, and i looked at a new set of hardware for after drilling them out, and it's like $50 for 4 or 6 screws.
I just looked at getting new screw for the current foils and it is $22. Of course at the hardware store It'll be cheaper, but for the lazy of us, ordering a set is easy now it seems.

Dwight
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Florida
Gear: Any

Postby Dwight » Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:24 pm

I used tef-gel on all my screws. I even pumped tef-gel in all the screw holes. Not only does it ensure no corrosion, but tef-gel is sticky, gooey, stuff, that prevents screws from vibrating loose. So no need to over tighten any screws on the Naish. Phillips head work great when you eliminate any need to over tighten.

Btw, the packing foam the Naish foil uses, is the right type for filling the holes in your mast. It’s the type foam windsurf boom makers use to fill their boom bodies. Slice it up and stuff your mast cavity full.

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:25 pm

Dwight wrote:
Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:24 pm
I used tef-gel on all my screws. I even pumped tef-gel in all the screw holes. Not only does it ensure no corrosion, but tef-gel is sticky, gooey, stuff, that prevents screws from vibrating loose. So no need to over tighten any screws on the Naish. Phillips head work great when you eliminate any need to over tighten.

Btw, the packing foam the Naish foil uses, is the right type for filling the holes in your mast. It’s the type foam windsurf boom makers use to fill their boom bodies. Slice it up and stuff your mast cavity full.
Nice. I just ordered TEF-GEL. Btw one hell of a price tag for some grease. I am just assuming it has some magic in it :-) Reading reviews it does really sound pretty amazing. I am wondering if I should use it on my TT as well.
I really would like it to be easy to take apart and change with other parts which is one of the things I am so exited about for this foil. Also means I can plop it on a SUP :-)

Anyways. I do not understand why it is that when I have new gear the wind will NEVER cooperate?????

cglazier
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Naish, Flysurfer, Alpine, Moses

Postby cglazier » Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:46 pm

Tef Gel is great stuff but expensive and not readily available on store shelves. I use Locktite blue which is widely available and only $6 per tube. It is anti corrosive and resists screws loosening.

Corrosion is a big problem where stainless screws touch aluminum (screws into aluminum mast and fuselage). Some anti corrosion compound is highly recommended. And do not leave the screws in place for months at a time.

:wink: CG
loctite-specialty-use-adhesive-209728-64_1000.jpg

airsail
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg
Local Beach: Queens Beach North, Queensland, Australia
Favorite Beaches: Queens North, I don’t travel much
Style: Foiling
Gear: Sonic 3 15mtr, Soul 10 mtr, BRM Clouds 8, 6.2, 4.8, 3.7
Lift, Naish and Levitaz foils
Carbonco and home build boards
Ozone and Duotone wings
Naish Hover 95 foilboard

Postby airsail » Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:55 pm

I use grease, coat everything, cheap and easy. The foil gets hosed after each use and disassembled for cleaning each two weeks. So far no corrosion.

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:34 pm

cglazier wrote:
Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:46 pm
Tef Gel is great stuff but expensive and not readily available on store shelves. I use Locktite blue which is widely available and only $6 per tube. It is anti corrosive and resists screws loosening.

Corrosion is a big problem where stainless screws touch aluminum (screws into aluminum mast and fuselage). Some anti corrosion compound is highly recommended. And do not leave the screws in place for months at a time.

:wink: CG

loctite-specialty-use-adhesive-209728-64_1000.jpg
It seems like Naish has already put locktite on the screws. All of them has colors on the bottom part I don't know too much about stuff like this, so I got both Tef Gel and locktite. Not sure if it makes much sense to use both :-)

One thing I am wondering about is how tef gel reacts with sand. I mean some of my spots have really fine grained sand and traditionally grease and sand aren't exactly friends.

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:35 pm

airsail wrote:
Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:55 pm
I use grease, coat everything, cheap and easy. The foil gets hosed after each use and disassembled for cleaning each two weeks. So far no corrosion.
Nice. I don't have a good history of actually hosing down my gear. Might be time to think about it now.
:D

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:46 pm

tautologies wrote:
Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:35 pm
airsail wrote:
Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:55 pm
Nice. I don't have a good history of actually hosing down my gear. Might be time to think about it now.
:D

Get a carbon foil instead Taut - problem solved and you can let everything "stick" as long and salty as you want :thumb:

Never ever hose anything down - it is a really welcome luxury that is great when you ride often, besides having a smoother and lighter hydrofoil now :naughty:

8) PF

Return to “Hydrofoil”