First foil - Slingshot hoverglide ?

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
Alysum
Frequent Poster
Gear: a kite
Brand Affiliation: None

First foil - Slingshot hoverglide ?

Postby Alysum » Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:33 am

I've researched for my first foil but the amount of different opinions is rather overwhelming !

I have 3 years experience kitesurfing, started with TT and now use surfboards 100%. Mostly in flat water, with a view to get into the surf once more confident.

The idea of learning to foil on a tall mast scares me with the crashes as I know what whiplashes feel like when falling off the surfboard at high speeds...

This is why I like the idea of the Slingshot foil academy and it's short masts to start off with.

I'm aware that it's quite a heavy setup, much like the Cabrinha Double agent which I can get used for a good price (although I've read that it's a dud outdated and slow foil).

If I can upgrade to a carbon foil down the track with the Slingshot board that would be a bonus.

Has anyone tried the Slingshot boards Alien air vs Drwarfcraft and compared the two ?

Any tips appreciated !

Kiterdoug
Rare Poster
Weight: 210
Local Beach: Turtle
Lido
Skyway
Style: swell when we have it.
Gear: Armstrong
Pulsion 12
Pulsion 18
Peak 4 4m
Peak 5 6 m
Peak 5 8 m

Re: First foil - Slingshot hoverglide ?

Postby Kiterdoug » Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:50 am

Hoverglide for sure! Heavy but not in the water..Mast size progression is the least frustrating way to go and its great if you need or want to ride in shallow water. They have introduced new wings that you can interchange. Everyone talked me out of Dwarfcraft not because they don't like it but Alien Air was better fit for where I was. Dwarfcraft smaller quicker but harder to start and ride for someone starting out. I've been riding now for 8 months and love my Alien Air and so do ALL the other people who own the same exact setup.

cwood
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Southern Ontario
Gear: Flysurfer
Moses Hydrofoil
Brand Affiliation: Moses, Flysurfer

Postby cwood » Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:09 am

great place to start, I taught my girlfriend on one, and rode it first and it was very gradual to come up on the wing and not crazy slow like some. Run the mast at the very rear of the track to start. Her first session was on the eliminator board which is most forgiving, then I got her an Alien air. Hold their value so you can sell it off to the next learner when you are ready to go carbon.

bigtone667
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Local Beach: Birdie Beach, Budgewoi Beach, Lakes Beach
Favorite Beaches: Umina Beach, Birdies Beach, Lake Munmorah, Canton, The Swamp, Le Morne
Style: surf, foiling, jumping, lawn mowing
Gear: Kites: BRM Cloud D's, Duotone Rebels, Peaks
Wings: Cloud W1 2,3,4,5, Duotone DLAB Unit 4.5/5.5/6.5
Boards: Bit of everything
Foils: AXIS and Triton Foils

Postby bigtone667 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:43 am

Good solid foil to learn on. Pretty indestructible. Different Mast sizes can make the progression more rapid.

pj sofine
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Style: silly
Gear: naish pivots 9,11, rpm 7,8,10,12 cf raptor ltd 136,140

Postby pj sofine » Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:48 pm

Another vote for hoverglide and the school masts. Very rapid progression. With 10 hrs foiling so far I can actually have fun. No downside, some say its heavy, how would we know! we have nothing to compare it with! Is it slow?,seems too fast at times. It gets up on foil at low speeds. Not sure how it turns since I cant complete a turn,buts that's me not the foil,I think.

grigorib
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: OBX; Clinton Lake, IL; Lake Michigan; Hood River; La Ventana; Ocean Park, PR; SPI; Tawas, MI
Gear: Kites: Slingshot Rally 5/7/9/11m, Turbine 9/13m, SST 4/5m, UFO 3/5/7/9m, Flysurfer Speed4 10m standard, Flysurfer 2cool 6m, Peter Lynn Venom II ARC 16m

Boards: Spleene RIP 37, Flysurfer Radical6 138, Flysurfer Flydoor5 XL, Slingshot/Moses/RDB 70/90/101cm masts with 1200/860/800/730/600 kitefoil or 2200/1700/1400 wingfoil wings and 310/230/425 stabilizers, Naish MicroChip 80cm, 36" Woody, Slingshot Dwarfcraft Micro 100, MBS Comp 95x

For sale: Slingshot Turbine 9/13m, 20” Guardian bar, 1700 sq.cm wing/fuselage/stabilizer fitting Moses mast

Postby grigorib » Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:35 pm

Alysum wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:33 am
Has anyone tried the Slingshot boards Alien air vs Drwarfcraft and compared the two ?

I learnt on MHL Lift 2013. Medium-Low aspect wing, 35.5" mast. It wasn't easy beginning but I started foiling on 3'rd session.
Tried the Hoverglide later and didn't like it as it needed more speed to start foiling, would stall at lower speeds and was heavy as brick (as multiple bricks). On the other hand I know many who like and enjoy the Hoverglide, it's just me relatively spoiled by large lowend wing and carbon foil.

Alien Air pros/cons
+ large volume
- too wide (old version of it was almost impossible to carry under an arm)
+ significant nose scoop
- mast/straps spacing is weird - you need to mount the front strap into most forward position and mast into the most backward position to ride reasonably
- weird shape (in my eyes)
+ easier to learn on

Dwarfcraft pros/cons
+ pretty shape
- insufficient nose scoop (doesn't bounce well off waves/chop )
+ beveled edges on the bottom of the board (but not sure how much it helps, it's not a race board)
+ lightweight
+/- lower volume
+ compact
+ it's a keeper beyond learning phase

I love my 42" Dwarfcraft, it's a sweet board. Got myself a short, 28" mast recently for shallow waters
Last edited by grigorib on Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:24 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:43 pm

Friend of mine learned (still learns) on the Hoverglide, in very few sessions, seems like a great easy way to start :thumb:

And then you can sell it to another beginner, it is a good way to pass the stoke, and many can get foiling at very low cost this way :naughty:

8) PF

DukeSilver
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Weight: 82
Local Beach: Melville Beach Western Australia
Favorite Beaches: Graveyards
Style: Hydrofoil, Strapless Surfboard
Gear: Ozone Reo, Ozone Hyperlink, Moses 683s, home built pocket foil board, Cabrinha Skillit

Postby DukeSilver » Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:49 pm

Another vote for the Hover Glide. I bought mine in Feb this year and it has been, and still is, fantastic. With the short mast I was up and riding over 100m in my first hour. I still use the 60cm mast for shallow water riding and have kept the 40cm mast to teach 3 of my friends. They all got up on the foil in their first session and have now also bought foils.

I have the 54" Dwarfcraft and ride strapless. I love this board. The Alien Air might be better for you if you're fairly new to kiting, but the larger DC should still be manageable.

This is a heavy foil for sure, but once up and riding, I don't feel it's a problem and I still love riding mine and don't see myself upgrading anytime soon. It flies at low speeds and is very pitch stable and feels solid on the water. It's also very durable, which is important when learning.

IainMacaskill
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Calshot, Hillhead, Hayling Island
Favorite Beaches: Reef, Uig, Isle of Lewis
Style: Hoon
Gear: Airush, Core, Storm, Gong Kite, Zeeko & Shinn
Brand Affiliation: Highland Park
Has thanked: 0

Postby IainMacaskill » Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:07 am

If you're in France find a Zeeko dealer, I own a Blue & White and Slingshot riders who've taken it out love it.

That said the best advice I can give you is to find an instructor who can talk you through foiling and give you a few lessons, foiling demands you break habits like riding the edge of the board, leaning back and start riding the wing and standing on the board. You'll have an argument with yourself at some point.

The Shinn P foil with the 60cm mast is popular here in Great Britain with people getting started as its designed for learning rather than racing.

slowboat
Very Frequent Poster
Style: wave foiling
Gear: This and that

Postby slowboat » Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:49 am

If I was starting again, I would consider a surf foil such as the Takuma with a short mast. Should be easy to learn on and then can be kept and used in waves/surf foiling. You can get a more advanced foil for free riding.

Return to “Hydrofoil”