Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

G10 wing replacement for fragile carbon

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
Foil
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 91kg
Local Beach: New Brighton near Liverpool. Open sea with big low tide deep lagoon
and regular at Rhosneigr and Newbrough on Anglesey
Favorite Beaches: New Brighton, Rhosneigr, Fleetwood, Newbrough, Blackrock sands
lake Como (Italy) El Medano
Style: kite foiler since 2017 Ttip since 2000
Gear: My rule to gear choice is "IF IT DONT BOOST ITS NO USE"
Groove Skates 110cm 2022 editions
kraken mast systems 103k and 93k.
Kraken fuse 703k
Duotone SLS Evo's -- 11mtr/9mtr/7mtr/6mtr/ 4mtr RRD.
Duotone 2022 click bars x2,my own custom made lines fitted,
(modified lines now available for the flite99 shod duotone bars)

Bar lines made up to any length in a choice of strengths, power lines, trim lines, pigtails, leader lines, bridal lines, elasticated lines, I make and fit them all, free fit and tune service,
quick turnaround,drop me a message, find me on messenger, Colin Moore.
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: G10 wing replacement for fragile carbon

Postby Foil » Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:36 am

Moses do do a solid carbon wing and stabiliser, but it's expensive and only made for racing, so the low end must be poor along with user friendliness, and carbon,as all us x windsurfers know scratches up and chips as soon as you look at it.
The problem many of us on the west coast of northern Wales and the north west of England is the water is shallow for quite a way out, and this catches you out as the tide recedes, and twice up to now my foil has blown over as I have been putting it together or about to break it down, and the resulting fall of the wing onto the car park has badly damaged the wing tip.
This would not happen to a G10 wing, (the damage I mean)
Up to date I have 4 Moses front wings, only one was undamaged, and that I used on Monday once I realised what was wrong with my other wings. But 3 damaged wings in 6 months is worrying and expensive,

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Lomma
Gear: TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 110
Gong Veloce M, 100cm carbon mast
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m

Postby TomW » Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:50 pm

I'll admit I'm a Moses fan and happy so far with my 2016 Fluente. The mast is spotless after 50 hrs and 3 international flights/trips.
The front wings are "fragile", but I can't compare. If the board is top down in the parking lot and it tips over and the wing hits the asphalt, it's going to chip off. I did that in a gravel lot and lost a 5x10mm bit from the tip. I just filled it with epoxy. And sprayed some black paint on it.

Then I've bounced off a reef, got caught in some rocks offshore, dragged over some unexpected rocks and scraped on the gravel in a river mouth. This has scratched, dinged or cracked small portions of the leading edge. I've patched them all and painted over it. It looks fine and works the same as ever. I suppose that it could be tougher, but one the positive it's really light.

Foil
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: New Brighton near Liverpool. Open sea with big low tide deep lagoon
Favorite Beaches: New Brighton, Rhosneigr, Fleetwood, Newbrough, Blackrock sands
Kraken fuse 703k

Bar lines made up to any length in a choice of strengths, power lines, trim lines, pigtails, leader lines, bridal lines, elasticated lines, I make and fit them all, free fit and tune service,

Postby Foil » Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:10 pm

TomW wrote:
Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:50 pm
I'll admit I'm a Moses fan and happy so far with my 2016 Fluente. The mast is spotless after 50 hrs and 3 international flights/trips.
The front wings are "fragile", but I can't compare. If the board is top down in the parking lot and it tips over and the wing hits the asphalt, it's going to chip off. I did that in a gravel lot and lost a 5x10mm bit from the tip. I just filled it with epoxy. And sprayed some black paint on it.

Then I've bounced off a reef, got caught in some rocks offshore, dragged over some unexpected rocks and scraped on the gravel in a river mouth. This has scratched, dinged or cracked small portions of the leading edge. I've patched them all and painted over it. It looks fine and works the same as ever. I suppose that it could be tougher, but one the positive it's really light.
I am a Moses fan as well, I keep a full set of gear over at Flag beach,Fuerteventura, and a set over here, both exactly the same kit, and love the ride, the looks, and the quality.and when I find a way of keeping a wing in good condition and preferably made from G10 I will be a happy chappy.
I really bashed my front and rear wing at Fuerteventura when there a few weeks ago,
I asked Gunner who owns the shop "The Boardroom"over there if he had any spares but he was out of stock and waiting for the new 2018 Moses stock, fortunately the wind blew up really strong with onshore winds that forced me onto my Twin Tip for the rest of the week.

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m

Postby TomW » Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:52 pm

Those rocks at flag beach are brutal, especially at low tide.

Foil
Very Frequent Poster
Kraken fuse 703k

Postby Foil » Fri Nov 24, 2017 6:00 pm

Ok, so the G10 wing (medium) arrived today from Gong, 3 days from France to the UK with a bucket full of emails to keep me informed of where and why.
First impression was good, slightly bigger(570mm) than the Moses (at 548mm)but slightly narrower, so should have the same lift but more stability, (I made that bit up)
Build quality is simply superb.
So off to my workshop(garage) to see if I can get it to fit my standard 2017 Moses Fuselage.
Good news is the wing mods are simply 1 extra hole,and I needed to elongate the 2nd hole by 3mm to fit,
however the Moses fuse had to be modified :!: so it's a good job I have 2, it took me all of 20 minutes to sort the profile with an angle grinder, then drill the extra hole and elongate the other, this was accomplished with my new Dremel, so now it's good to go, looks great and will be tested tomorrow.
The weight is 674g as against the Moses 548 wing at 340g.
So, has it been worth the effort and cost?
Well if it sails as good as the Moses then it has to be a yes from me, the G10 material was so tough to work, I used a tungsten drill to get a hole drilled and the dremel stone attachment to countersink the hole, I burnt out a dremel tool to elongate one of the holes :o
that G10 is one hell of a tough material, and will burn out most tools.
Even my Wife Pauline who was watching me work on the wing said if I dropped that on the car park it would take a chunk out out of the car park, not the wing.
Something I am well aware using the stuff over many long years.

Imagef

Last edited by Foil on Sat Nov 25, 2017 7:19 am, edited 9 times in total.

jaros
Very Frequent Poster

Postby jaros » Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:14 pm

Great job!

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m

Postby TomW » Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:34 pm

It seems the only thing that can go wrong is the angle of attack is not right. Really interested to hear about your ride

OzBungy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby OzBungy » Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:34 pm

If I understand correctly the problem you were trying to solve is that you cold not sand the carbon wings smooth enough. Why not spray paint them and sand the paint?

NYKiter
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Wave
Gear: .

Postby NYKiter » Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:02 pm

G10 is extremely easy to work with. If you have a drill press...and a band saw....its simple. A hand grinder is handy as well. I use a stand up pipe cutter band saw...easy as cake...cuts slow and keeps the particles size large.

cwood
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Southern Ontario
Gear: Flysurfer
Moses Hydrofoil
Brand Affiliation: Moses, Flysurfer

Postby cwood » Sat Nov 25, 2017 1:33 am

I have generally beat he hell out of the tips of my Moses wings. I have two and swap them in and out to repair while using the other. We kite in all manner of rocky locations and I have never had one that didn't fly almost as normal even in dinged state so I'm confused by the extreme performance difference you report. I fix them mainly to feel better vs because they are not behaving.

Needed:

West System Six10 thickened epoxy
Small amount of carbon fiber cloth
Scissors
Popsicle sticks
Paper cups
Optional Dremel with grinding drum
Wet sand paper. 320, 400, 600, 800, 1500
Glazing compound
Duct tape
Sanding block

How: