Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:47 pm
My new Tom Tom arrived
Please let us know how it performs on the water. :thumb:
R H

Foil
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 91kg
Local Beach: New Brighton near Liverpool. Open sea with big low tide deep lagoon
and regular at Rhosneigr and Newbrough on Anglesey
Favorite Beaches: New Brighton, Rhosneigr, Fleetwood, Newbrough, Blackrock sands
lake Como (Italy) El Medano
Style: kite foiler since 2017 Ttip since 2000
Gear: My rule to gear choice is "IF IT DONT BOOST ITS NO USE"
Groove Skates 110cm 2022 editions
kraken mast systems 103k and 93k.
Kraken fuse 703k
Duotone SLS Evo's -- 11mtr/9mtr/7mtr/6mtr/ 4mtr RRD.
Duotone 2022 click bars x2,my own custom made lines fitted,
(modified lines now available for the flite99 shod duotone bars)

Bar lines made up to any length in a choice of strengths, power lines, trim lines, pigtails, leader lines, bridal lines, elasticated lines, I make and fit them all, free fit and tune service,
quick turnaround,drop me a message, find me on messenger, Colin Moore.
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Which watch for real-time speed read out

Postby Foil » Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:11 pm

revhed wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:58 pm
Foil wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:47 pm
My new Tom Tom arrived
Please let us know how it performs on the water. :thumb:
R H
Will do,
As I am hols from Thursday in warm and sunny Fuerteventura, Flag beach, I will try and send a screen shot from my phone but it would be much better from my lap top which is not going with me.

darius_ks
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Svencele, Dreverna, Klaipeda, Lithuania
Favorite Beaches: Svencele
Style: Big air, race
Gear: Kites Ozone, boards Cabrinha, Crazyfly
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby darius_ks » Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:31 pm

Suunto Spartan used already whole season. Gps sensitivity can be adjusted till 1s., the screen is clearly visible in all weather conditions, actually do not have issues with touch screen mode, I think you can even disable it. Live track you can see on watch screen, the scale automatically adjusts depend the distace run, it help with orientation when you are fare from shore.

f2020
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Phuket
Favorite Beaches: Phuket
Style: Kitefoil Performance and freeride
Gear: Taaroa Sword RS Ti 2018 UHM
Taaroa Sword RS 2017
Taaroa Sword2 Race Wing 2016
Ozone R1V2
Cabrinha Switchblades
RRD Passion MK9
Brand Affiliation: NONE
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby f2020 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:34 am

Doppler is a second way for the watch to compute your speed by listening to the change of intensity of the frequencies emitted by the satellites as the distances change between the satellites and the watch.

An illustration of the Doppler effect is for instance the sound of a fast passing train or formula one that get closer to you and then move away. You can deduct the speed of the car/train by the attenuation of the sounds they emit as they move away. It works the same with the frequencies emitted by the GPS satellite network. The watch then determine your speed thru an algorithm with both the Doppler effect Data and the GPS location. It’s real time and it’s much more accurate than only knowing your speed by the location only.

If you look at the watch that Alex Caizergues (world speed record holder in kitesurfing) was wearing on his wrist during his record you’ll see it is a GW60.

davesails7 wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:59 pm

f2020 wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:00 pm
Locosys GW60. It’s the only one with a doppler and running at 5hz. Made specially for windsurfing and kitesurfing. Case close.
What does Doppler do? I've never had trouble with the ambit giving me inaccurate values (spikes). Or are there other inaccuracies i dont know about?

Mostly looking at speed over longer distances, so do you need a greater rate of data recording?

From a quick look, price is about twice as much as tom tom. Is there much benefit for a casual user?
gmb13 wrote: I reality you will not be looking down at your watch when trying for a speed run.
True, I don't look down during top speed runs, but I do like to check my upwind speed often while riding by looking over at the watch.

Return to “Hydrofoil”