Kiting since: 2004
Gear: Wave Bandit Performer 4-10
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Comparative risk of kitesurfing

Postby Slappysan » Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:01 am

kite_hh wrote:
Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:10 pm
What is "speed riding"
Probably Speed Flying which is a version of paragliding that mimics wingsuits (or I should say wingsuits mimic it). Often done on snow skis.

downunder
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: building my own

Postby downunder » Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:51 am

tautologies wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2007 10:05 am
badmrfrosty wrote:
Ok that is pretty specious reasoning. Think about it this way. How many people have died of smoking after only doing it 30 times. I would say zero. How many kiteboarders die after doing it less than 30 times. Uh a lot more than zero. I would guess most of the fatalies are with the less experienced.

apples to apples man
well here you are wrong..there are more accidents with experienced kiters...we have the sense that we can control it better, and then we loose concentration for a fraction of a second. It happens.

Even kiters that are safety conscientious can have pretty bad accidents.

A.

The more accidents with experienced kiters happen exactly of the same reason as long time smokers, looooong hours on water. Sure, throw a trick or jumps increases injury, but so it does smoking nasty stuff ;)

Carlos_C wrote:
Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:06 pm
Compare with downhill MTB - lots of minor injuries - breakages - not too many fatalities.....Kitesurfing not many minor injuries - but when it goes wrong game over
Not quite, kite surfing has many many many minor injuries. I already broke a collar bone and fractured ankle. None of this reported as kiting injury.

Kite surfing is way more safe just because of water. Water saved me more times that I remember. The only comparison would be skiing/boarding on fresh powder. But than you have trees and avalanches, which took a bigger toll than ever in kiting.

joriws
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Flysurfer, HQ, Moses, Nobile, North, Ozone

Postby joriws » Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:56 am

wow ~12y old thread revival.. Why didn''t you start a new one?

Regis-de-giens
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 62 kg
Local Beach: France: St Laurent du Var, Cannes, Almanarre
Style: 62 kg , light wind, waves
Gear: Conceptair pulsion 18&15&12S, OR Flite 10m , Airush One 9&6, peak 5M , Rally 6, Elf 11 &7, 19m2 single skin proto.
foil Ketos, RCS Supreme, TBK Mana, snowskis, kite-boat

Postby Regis-de-giens » Thu Dec 13, 2018 2:34 pm

joriws wrote:
Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:56 am
wow ~12y old thread revival.. Why didn''t you start a new one?
:D why ? hummm ... but why not ? great to recycle things in this detructive world :thumb:

I updated the table with probably more accurate figures on planes and cars, based on number of travels rather than car numbers. I added horse rinding which is common and dangerous.

sergei Scotland
Frequent Poster
Gear: Cabrinha 2014 9m
Blade Trigger 2016 10m

Postby sergei Scotland » Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:42 pm

A good indication of how dangerous kitesurfing is would be price of insurance. Actuary spend years learning how to estimates risks, obviously and many years collecting insurance data too. In my experience travel sport insurance for kitesurfing is in the cheapest group. I guess they would charge more if it was more dangerous...

knotwindy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: baja, gorge
Style: erratic to none
Gear: yes, I use gear

Postby knotwindy » Fri Dec 14, 2018 1:12 am

As with most sports, the risk & danger level is directly related to the individuals level of ignorance, arrogance & obliviousness. Which is what the insurance would be measuring as well. Kiting can be very safe or the most dangerous thing you have ever done. How far do you want to go? How much do you want to risk?

or6
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1997
Weight: 81
Local Beach: Wijk aan zee, Zandmotor, Hoek and in between
Favorite Beaches: Muriwai NZ, El Medano Tenerife, la Ventana México, Hood River, Portland area, Vancouver Island, Wijk aan Zee, Moulay Bouzerktoun
Style: Waveriding
Gear: RRD Religion 4 meter, 5 and 7 meter Kauper XT Maverick, 9 meter Core GTS6, Ben Wilson Vibe 9, Peter Lynn Phantom v2 9, Appletree Klokhouse Noseless 5'3", Wanted Pure 6'0", Shinn Bronq Heritage, Gong Foil

Postby or6 » Fri Dec 14, 2018 7:51 am

Forget about statistics.

Focus. On kiteboarding. Every time. All the time.

Return to “Kitesurfing”