Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Strutless kite in development on Maui

forum for kitesurfers


BWD
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 2763
Joined: Thu Jun 05, 2003 3:37 am

Re: Strutless kite in development on Maui

Postby BWD » Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:00 pm

I think kite inside pump is impossible except maybe the smallest kite and biggest pump.
But you could easily fit 2 or 3 "clouds," a bar and a pump in a standard bag and have it weigh well under 10kg, even if one kite was a 17.
Remember, better to pack your kite loosely than tightly for less wear.
Plus they are always harder to pack on the way home for some reason.

User avatar
tautologies
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 9285
Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2004 5:36 am
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: Oahu
Contact:

Re: Strutless kite in development on Maui

Postby tautologies » Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:34 pm

BWD wrote:I think kite inside pump is impossible except maybe the smallest kite and biggest pump.
But you could easily fit 2 or 3 "clouds," a bar and a pump in a standard bag and have it weigh well under 10kg, even if one kite was a 17.
Remember, better to pack your kite loosely than tightly for less wear.
Plus they are always harder to pack on the way home for some reason.


I would never put my kite insde a pump with all the shit slicone that is in there. It is a great idea though, and certainly doable...but the pumps have to be redesigned IMO.

Swiss army light travel gear: Super simple and small harness, foldable board, and kite that wraps up like there is no tomorrow. I think we have a great niche here.

I am super excited about this development. :thumb:

longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 1879
Joined: Fri Sep 11, 2009 3:15 am
Kiting since: 0
Style: Fast, anti lawnmower.
Gear: Wipika Freeair 8.5 2 liner and Picklefork.
Brand Affiliation: iansmusic.com - free music for your kite videos

Re: Strutless kite in development on Maui

Postby longwhitecloud » Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:18 pm

i c less manufacturing and material costs, not quite $15 c quad lol but maybe no more kites that take months to save for just to get one

how about doing me one with mylar leading edge like by freeair and classic (my classic has no delam - i still ride it) - would be super light - i am over lugging around ever increasingly "technical kites" that are heavy

Osprey1
Medium Poster
Posts: 171
Joined: Sat Dec 12, 2009 3:38 am
Kiting since: 0
Local Beach: Golden Gardens, Richmond Beach, Double Bluff
Favorite Beaches: Double Bluff, The Hatchery, Damon Point
Style: Freeride
Gear: Naish, Board Riding Maui
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: Seattle
Contact:

Re: Strutless kite in development on Maui

Postby Osprey1 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:26 pm

Good idea long white cloud. i wonder if a different, lighter yet stiffer material can be used for the LE and canopy

User avatar
tautologies
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 9285
Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2004 5:36 am
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: Oahu
Contact:

Re: Strutless kite in development on Maui

Postby tautologies » Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:49 am

So I'm almost on cloud 9. Well maybe I am since it is cloud 8 and me. Together on cloud 9? Too soft? yeah I know.

Anyways, I am psyched. :thumb: :thumb:
Attachments
IMAG0458.jpg

User avatar
Starsky
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 3446
Joined: Mon Apr 19, 2004 12:12 pm
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: Ontario

Re: Strutless kite in development on Maui

Postby Starsky » Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:14 pm

Blasphemy!

P.S. love the swiss army idea. The bar doubles as the pump shaft. The split board makes up the sides of the suitcase that carries it all. board handle doubles as the... well handle. etc etc...

james
Frequent Poster
Posts: 390
Joined: Sun Mar 07, 2004 2:18 pm
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: Slingshot

Re: Strutless kite in development on Maui

Postby james » Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:01 pm

tautologies wrote:So I'm almost on cloud 9. Well maybe I am since it is cloud 8 and me. Together on cloud 9? Too soft? yeah I know.

Anyways, I am psyched. :thumb: :thumb:



ah well companies got to do R+D somehow… hope this one stays out of the loft ;)

i hope i am anyway, would be a little off for this one to get' looked over' by your favourite kite company.. ;)

User avatar
tautologies
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 9285
Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2004 5:36 am
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: Oahu
Contact:

Re: Strutless kite in development on Maui

Postby tautologies » Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:53 pm

james wrote:

ah well companies got to do R+D somehow… hope this one stays out of the loft ;)

i hope i am anyway, would be a little off for this one to get' looked over' by your favourite kite company.. ;)


jeez dude, at least now I know who the character Debbie Downer was based on.

Osprey1
Medium Poster
Posts: 171
Joined: Sat Dec 12, 2009 3:38 am
Kiting since: 0
Local Beach: Golden Gardens, Richmond Beach, Double Bluff
Favorite Beaches: Double Bluff, The Hatchery, Damon Point
Style: Freeride
Gear: Naish, Board Riding Maui
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: Seattle
Contact:

Re: Strutless kite in development on Maui

Postby Osprey1 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:56 pm

Once I get the 10m travel will be so easy. On the way to and from Panama I brought my kite in my carry on and still had room for the ipad, camera and kindle. Word.

james
Frequent Poster
Posts: 390
Joined: Sun Mar 07, 2004 2:18 pm
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: Slingshot

Re: Strutless kite in development on Maui

Postby james » Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:49 am

tautologies wrote:
james wrote:

ah well companies got to do R+D somehow… hope this one stays out of the loft ;)

i hope i am anyway, would be a little off for this one to get' looked over' by your favourite kite company.. ;)


jeez dude, at least now I know who the character Debbie Downer was based on.



lighten up dude, it was a JOKE, i know that you have no links what so ever with Naish, you just like their gear :), props to you for getting a kite from Greg and supporting his ideas.


Return to “Kitesurfing”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], danidr, rtz, Turbaani, zloilyoha and 18 guests