Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Best Kahoona - don't recommend for beginners

forum for kitesurfers


User avatar
alexeyga
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 710
Joined: Thu May 31, 2007 12:41 pm
Kiting since: 2005
Favorite Beaches: Ocean shore!
Style: Freeride dongling
Gear: Any gear is good gear as long as it has nothing to do with EPIC!
Location: Montreal, Canada / NJ, USA

Re: Best Kahoona - don't recommend for beginners

Postby alexeyga » Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:50 pm

Sounds like you have more issues with the safety system than with a kite that is just perfect for beginners.

Just leash it to one of the oh-shit handles and you'll have the 100% super-safe depower you're so anxious for. You'll be also stuck with a spaghetti-bar on just about every third QR activation, but hey - it's only 2013 and we still cant have it all!

User avatar
bnthere
Frequent Poster
Posts: 391
Joined: Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:50 pm
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: South Padre Island and South Texas USA

Hood River and the Columbia River Gorge USA
Favorite Beaches: South Padre Island Texas: year round the best flatwater and fall - winter - spring fun wave riding as well.
Style: all styles of kite riding
Gear: Blade
Mystic
WindAlert
Brand Affiliation: Blade
Mystic
WindAlert
Seadoo
Headzone

Re: Best Kahoona - don't recommend for beginners

Postby bnthere » Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:22 pm

adrianoliguori wrote:Just found this: http://youtu.be/0PSz2I8drHY

Actually, I didn't know but I tried a 2012 Kahoona and bar... Not a 2013... The guy on the video says "it depowers ~ 80%..."

That's what I mean. These ~ 20% under experienced hands, it's nothing... But for whoever is learning, it might not be so good (depending on where you're riding, as I said earlier...).



i thought that might be what was up. you dont have to defend a leash/ kite disable system that doesnt work. if it doesnt disable, then it doesnt disable. it depowers. and when your coming in the 35 with your 11.5 or 13.5 in the air and no one is there to catch it, you know you want to be able to trust your leash line and drop the kite.

User avatar
bnthere
Frequent Poster
Posts: 391
Joined: Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:50 pm
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: South Padre Island and South Texas USA

Hood River and the Columbia River Gorge USA
Favorite Beaches: South Padre Island Texas: year round the best flatwater and fall - winter - spring fun wave riding as well.
Style: all styles of kite riding
Gear: Blade
Mystic
WindAlert
Brand Affiliation: Blade
Mystic
WindAlert
Seadoo
Headzone

Re: Best Kahoona - don't recommend for beginners

Postby bnthere » Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:30 pm

alexeyga wrote:Sounds like you have more issues with the safety system than with a kite that is just perfect for beginners.

Just leash it to one of the oh-shit handles and you'll have the 100% super-safe depower you're so anxious for. You'll be also stuck with a spaghetti-bar on just about every third QR activation, but hey - it's only 2013 and we still cant have it all!


kahoonas tend to spin pretty horribly when disabled onto an outside line. and there is enough drag that it is really difficult to get up the line to the kite if it doesnt stay on the ground.

2013 best bars are single centerline disable (below bar), most older best bars (except redline) have above the bar single centerline disable option.

you can fly a kahoona on a massive variety of bars.

User avatar
davesails7
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 1817
Joined: Sun Apr 01, 2007 7:36 pm
Kiting since: 2006
Local Beach: Virginia Beach
Gear: Flysurfer Sonics 9,11,15
Spotz2 w/Delta Board
Mako 130
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Best Kahoona - don't recommend for beginners

Postby davesails7 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:40 pm

Have to agree with everyone other than the OP. The Kahoona is a great kite for beginners. Super stable, easiest relaunch of any kite I've flown, and the newer Best bars (2012 and on) are very good.

Why did your girlfriend pull the quick release in the first place? Seems like an odd situation you describe.

As others said, if you really want 100% depower then you have to leash to a single line.

If anyone asks me what kite to get as a beginner, I say Kahoona hands down.

adrianoliguori
Rare Poster
Posts: 30
Joined: Thu Nov 10, 2011 12:00 am
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: Barra do Cunhaú
Style: Freeride
Gear: North Neo 9m2, Cabrinha Switchblade 12m2, Dakine Pyro Harness, Kiteloose board
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Best Kahoona - don't recommend for beginners

Postby adrianoliguori » Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:16 pm

Anabatic_co_nz wrote:We all know the rule never teach your girlfriend! .


she had 10h of lessons with an IKO certified teacher and she's at a stage she can ride but downwind... he couldn't make it this past weekend so I figured she could practice under my supervision...

Anabatic_co_nz wrote:Your specific location and requirements are quite unique and such a post headline "Best Kahoona - don't recommend for beginners" is way off the mark..


you got me thinking with this... i don't mean this kite is useless... I just think that a kite that doesn't fully depower under every circumstance and riding condition isn't ok for a beginner..

still I don't think this title is bad publicity for BEST... most opinions here are supporting this kite (and I also do for intermediate or advanced riders!)... whoever is considering buying a Kahoona will read everything here and their own conclusions... as i said previously: this kite is good looking, easy to use, well build and has a competitive price!

Anabatic_co_nz wrote:I'm guessing you gave the girlfriend a big fright and you tried to save face by blaming the gear.


i think only a kid would act this way... i'm giving here my sincere impressions on this kite and luckily we're "building knowledge" in this forum about this kites with everyones opinions...

I thank everyone who has dedicated some time, thought and consideration reading, organizing your own reflections and posting it over here.

adrianoliguori
Rare Poster
Posts: 30
Joined: Thu Nov 10, 2011 12:00 am
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: Barra do Cunhaú
Style: Freeride
Gear: North Neo 9m2, Cabrinha Switchblade 12m2, Dakine Pyro Harness, Kiteloose board
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Best Kahoona - don't recommend for beginners

Postby adrianoliguori » Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:28 pm

davesails7 wrote:Why did your girlfriend pull the quick release in the first place? Seems like an odd situation you describe.
.


she lost her board and started body dragging... then dropped the kite perfectly on the edge of the window. she could easily put the kite back up again, but it dropped the same side as the current and two forces summed up. she got scared and decided to QR... after QR, it was still pulling her (but less of course)... then she fully disengaged letting go the leash...

User avatar
davesails7
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 1817
Joined: Sun Apr 01, 2007 7:36 pm
Kiting since: 2006
Local Beach: Virginia Beach
Gear: Flysurfer Sonics 9,11,15
Spotz2 w/Delta Board
Mako 130
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Best Kahoona - don't recommend for beginners

Postby davesails7 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:04 pm

adrianoliguori wrote:i don't mean this kite is useless... I just think that a kite that doesn't fully depower under every circumstance and riding condition isn't ok for a beginner.


What kite do you think "fully depowers under every circumstance and riding condition"?

No kite will do that. A fifth line kite will likely have the least amount of pull when you release to a leash, but there is still some pull.

I've never ridden in any significant amount of current, so maybe it's just me, but I still don't get the situation.
First, to release the QR because you lose your board and the kite is in the water? That makes no sense to me.
Then, release the leash because the kite is sitting in the water and you are drifting downwind? That makes no sense to me either.

I guess we will all have to agree to disagree.

User avatar
bnthere
Frequent Poster
Posts: 391
Joined: Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:50 pm
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: South Padre Island and South Texas USA

Hood River and the Columbia River Gorge USA
Favorite Beaches: South Padre Island Texas: year round the best flatwater and fall - winter - spring fun wave riding as well.
Style: all styles of kite riding
Gear: Blade
Mystic
WindAlert
Brand Affiliation: Blade
Mystic
WindAlert
Seadoo
Headzone

Re: Best Kahoona - don't recommend for beginners

Postby bnthere » Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:57 pm

davesails7 wrote:
What kite do you think "fully depowers under every circumstance and riding condition"?

No kite will do that. A fifth line kite will likely have the least amount of pull when you release to a leash, but there is still some pull.
.



my friend this is not true. every kite will disable 100% when line tension is reduced to a single center line. that includes either of the 2 side centerlines, or an additional 5th line. some kites will also disable well onto a single outside line. some kites claim to disable onto both centerlines, this is highly kite specific, and debatably effective non the less.

as you said earlier, if you want 100% depower (disable) you have to leash to a single line.

it is pretty clear that the chick wanted to walk or swim back to beach as apposed to deal with flying the kite anymore. she released it onto the leash (like she should) it being a 2012 redline bar (double centerline "disable") the kite did not disable, or fall onto its LE, it probably just sat there on its wingtip at the edge of the wind in launch position continuing to pull her towards it exactly as it was while she was hooked in. happens all the time.

adrianoliguori
Rare Poster
Posts: 30
Joined: Thu Nov 10, 2011 12:00 am
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: Barra do Cunhaú
Style: Freeride
Gear: North Neo 9m2, Cabrinha Switchblade 12m2, Dakine Pyro Harness, Kiteloose board
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Best Kahoona - don't recommend for beginners

Postby adrianoliguori » Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:17 am

bnthere wrote:
davesails7 wrote:
What kite do you think "fully depowers under every circumstance and riding condition"?

No kite will do that. A fifth line kite will likely have the least amount of pull when you release to a leash, but there is still some pull.
.



my friend this is not true. every kite will disable 100% when line tension is reduced to a single center line. that includes either of the 2 side centerlines, or an additional 5th line. some kites will also disable well onto a single outside line. some kites claim to disable onto both centerlines, this is highly kite specific, and debatably effective non the less.

as you said earlier, if you want 100% depower (disable) you have to leash to a single line.

it is pretty clear that the chick wanted to walk or swim back to beach as apposed to deal with flying the kite anymore. she released it onto the leash (like she should) it being a 2012 redline bar (double centerline "disable") the kite did not disable, or fall onto its LE, it probably just sat there on its wingtip at the edge of the wind in launch position continuing to pull her towards it exactly as it was while she was hooked in. happens all the time.


Thank you, bnthere... Thank you!

you see what I mean...

User avatar
davesails7
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 1817
Joined: Sun Apr 01, 2007 7:36 pm
Kiting since: 2006
Local Beach: Virginia Beach
Gear: Flysurfer Sonics 9,11,15
Spotz2 w/Delta Board
Mako 130
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Best Kahoona - don't recommend for beginners

Postby davesails7 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:00 am

adrianoliguori wrote:
bnthere wrote:my friend this is not true. every kite will disable 100% when line tension is reduced to a single center line. that includes either of the 2 side centerlines, or an additional 5th line. some kites will also disable well onto a single outside line. some kites claim to disable onto both centerlines, this is highly kite specific, and debatably effective non the less.

as you said earlier, if you want 100% depower (disable) you have to leash to a single line.

it is pretty clear that the chick wanted to walk or swim back to beach as apposed to deal with flying the kite anymore. ....


Thank you, bnthere... Thank you!

you see what I mean...


I think we have different definitions of "100%"

Agreed, releasing to a single line will usually have less force on the leash than releasing to two front lines. I'm saying though, there is still pull on the kite when you release to a single front line.

Usually with a fifth line, if there is more than 15 knots the kite will fly up off the beach a bit from time to time. It's on its back and very depowered, but it's not 100%, there is still some pull on the fifth line and it would still be pulling you downwind.

I see what you are saying if she was trying to self rescue or go back up wind or up current to the beach and couldn't because the kite was pulling her downwind. What I'm saying though, wouldn't this be a problem with any kite? What kite are you comparing it too?


Return to “Kitesurfing”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: iriejohn and 21 guests