Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Repair naish torch 2009 or buy The 2013?

forum for kitesurfers


kitetraveller123
Rare Poster
Posts: 12
Joined: Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:26 am
Kiting since: 2003
Brand Affiliation: None

Repair naish torch 2009 or buy The 2013?

Postby kitetraveller123 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:06 pm

Hi,

I just exploded the le of my torch 2009 12sqm (My most used kite)
To repair it, it'll cost 22% of new kite price (for the 2013) + 2hours work to change the bladder.

What to do? How big is the difference between 2009 model and 2013?

Ludmil
Frequent Poster
Posts: 474
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2005 3:26 pm
Kiting since: 2003
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: Varna,Bulgaria

Re: Repair naish torch 2009 or buy The 2013?

Postby Ludmil » Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:38 pm

kitetraveller123 wrote:Hi,

I just exploded the le of my torch 2009 12sqm (My most used kite)
To repair it, it'll cost 22% of new kite price (for the 2013) + 2hours work to change the bladder.

What to do? How big is the difference between 2009 model and 2013?



No difference it is the Torch of 2013 :)
Well,I had 2009 /but 14 m/ now I have 2013 12m.
LY I had Park 12 but Cs are something I can`t escape from.
This is my biggest kite and I live in pretty windless area...it`s much more easy kite than 2009 w/ much shorter but very effective bar throw.
The bar actually is real miniature, new North bar looks huge compared .
The kite itself is different -lower AR /not sure, but looks shorter and wider/,very thin LE for 12 - on the oter hand struts become thicker.Very,very stable in the air.
Awesome unhooked but have in mind that it`s very technical in order to achieve the most pop and slack /as all Torches/.
For my real surprise is how good jumper the Torch become.
Jumps huge hooked with good hang, much more controlable.
Kite loops- wow factor is guaranteed - tighter w/ scary pull.

No need to set conclusion I think...

RDM
Frequent Poster
Posts: 351
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 1:29 pm
Kiting since: 2000
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Repair naish torch 2009 or buy The 2013?

Postby RDM » Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:05 pm

How does the " park and ride " low end compare between the 14m 2009 and 12m 2013 Torch Ludmil: .. :thumb:

JGTR
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 1547
Joined: Sun Jun 19, 2005 10:28 pm

Re: Repair naish torch 2009 or buy The 2013?

Postby JGTR » Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:26 pm

The problem with Torches, and I suppose with any kite, is that after a while the fabric wears out and the strength goes. Exploding LE is a problem with Torches, all mine have gone on both sides (07 and 08, 09 was similar design) so if you have it repaired and repair the bladder chances are the other side will go due to the age. The trailing edges also wear quite badly and you ok'd find yourself spending money to have it repaired then a few months later having to get it repaired again.

Speaking from experience if you can afford it and you will use it a lot go for a new kite, worth it in the long run :thumb:

Ludmil
Frequent Poster
Posts: 474
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2005 3:26 pm
Kiting since: 2003
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: Varna,Bulgaria

Re: Repair naish torch 2009 or buy The 2013?

Postby Ludmil » Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:22 pm

RDM wrote:How does the " park and ride " low end compare between the 14m 2009 and 12m 2013 Torch Ludmil: .. :thumb:


Hmm, as I recall the 14 was quite a grunty kite, but I recently rode friend`s 2011 12m... the new one definitely has better low end.
The 14 is gruntier I guess, but I can sqeese lowest from a kite /btw I`m around 77-78 kg/

L.

kitetraveller123
Rare Poster
Posts: 12
Joined: Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:26 am
Kiting since: 2003
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Repair naish torch 2009 or buy The 2013?

Postby kitetraveller123 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:35 am

Ludmil wrote:
kitetraveller123 wrote:Hi,

I just exploded the le of my torch 2009 12sqm (My most used kite)
To repair it, it'll cost 22% of new kite price (for the 2013) + 2hours work to change the bladder.

What to do? How big is the difference between 2009 model and 2013?



No difference it is the Torch of 2013 :)
Well,I had 2009 /but 14 m/ now I have 2013 12m.
LY I had Park 12 but Cs are something I can`t escape from.
This is my biggest kite and I live in pretty windless area...it`s much more easy kite than 2009 w/ much shorter but very effective bar throw.
The bar actually is real miniature, new North bar looks huge compared .
The kite itself is different -lower AR /not sure, but looks shorter and wider/,very thin LE for 12 - on the oter hand struts become thicker.Very,very stable in the air.
Awesome unhooked but have in mind that it`s very technical in order to achieve the most pop and slack /as all Torches/.
For my real surprise is how good jumper the Torch become.
Jumps huge hooked with good hang, much more controlable.
Kite loops- wow factor is guaranteed - tighter w/ scary pull.

No need to set conclusion I think...


Thanks for the input! Anybody got the ar value for the 2009 12sqm?
2013 is 5.02

As I'm a light rider high ar is good.

kitetraveller123
Rare Poster
Posts: 12
Joined: Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:26 am
Kiting since: 2003
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Repair naish torch 2009 or buy The 2013?

Postby kitetraveller123 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:13 am

kitetraveller123 wrote:
Ludmil wrote:
kitetraveller123 wrote:Hi,

I just exploded the le of my torch 2009 12sqm (My most used kite)
To repair it, it'll cost 22% of new kite price (for the 2013) + 2hours work to change the bladder.

What to do? How big is the difference between 2009 model and 2013?



No difference it is the Torch of 2013 :)
Well,I had 2009 /but 14 m/ now I have 2013 12m.
LY I had Park 12 but Cs are something I can`t escape from.
This is my biggest kite and I live in pretty windless area...it`s much more easy kite than 2009 w/ much shorter but very effective bar throw.
The bar actually is real miniature, new North bar looks huge compared .
The kite itself is different -lower AR /not sure, but looks shorter and wider/,very thin LE for 12 - on the oter hand struts become thicker.Very,very stable in the air.
Awesome unhooked but have in mind that it`s very technical in order to achieve the most pop and slack /as all Torches/.
For my real surprise is how good jumper the Torch become.
Jumps huge hooked with good hang, much more controlable.
Kite loops- wow factor is guaranteed - tighter w/ scary pull.

No need to set conclusion I think...


Thanks for the input! Anybody got the ar value for the 2009 12sqm?
2013 is 5.02

As I'm a light rider high ar is good.


Ar for 2009 is 5, so slightly lower!
http://balikites.files.wordpress.com/20 ... nge-06.jpg


Return to “Kitesurfing”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: blue pearl, knotwindy and 26 guests