Local Beach: kiel
Favorite Beaches: Somewhere in France
Style: freeride
Gear: Gaastra pure 2016 13, 10, 8m
crazy fly raptor pro 142x42 seaflight wave
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Chicken Loop Bye Bye?

Postby dazarter » Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:16 am

ive still got to chicken loop i like the how safe and easy they are but dont like to unhook or release accidendly....
heres my current set up using a climbing carabina and a rope pully (orbiter) seems to work really well (30 euros)....maybe ill shorten the chicken loop because the only downside its a tick too long but you get used to that. with carabina its really easy to hook in especially when you start alone ... :)
IMG_20181204_161749.jpg

alford
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Gear: all brands

Postby alford » Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:33 pm

That's an incredibly heavy and expensive setup when all that is needed is a SS ring on the slider rope to put the CL through. Am I missing something here?

BWD
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BWD » Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:01 pm

I'd agree pulley is not needed, but depending on the CL he does have a point about quick clip in through the carabiner.
But for simplicity and tuning ease, I would use a ring and a CL that was easy to connect quickly, if I still used a CL at all that is.
Have ridden BRM style connection 2 years, not looking back :thumb:

dazarter
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Local Beach: kiel
Favorite Beaches: Somewhere in France
Style: freeride
Gear: Gaastra pure 2016 13, 10, 8m
crazy fly raptor pro 142x42 seaflight wave

Postby dazarter » Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:54 pm

im using the pulley because of the wear and smoothness -zero wear! the carabiner was choosen because i start alone about 60 percent of the time and need a very foolproof system....unfortunatly all the other methods shown here are not designed for theathered launching with ease. I was happy with the old hook until i tried a rope - sujush a pleasure to use - mainly twintip.
I boost quite a lot so i also need a very stable connection that will not release on its own (like my old hook). my setup weighs about 110 grams which i dont even notice at all - both the pully and carabina are alu - and will never break on me. I had the parts already so cost was no big issue but i find 30 euros to be really ok ? how much do the parts cost your using?

I also want a reliable release system and the chicken loop is exactly that - combined with the convienience with a carabina - which i can also release very easily if i need to - plus start and land very easily....

I dont like being clipped in with just 1 chance of release - i tested the ring but found it did not release cleanly enough for me - safety first :)
im not to sure what the wear is like without the pully, i could just run the carabina direckly on the rope - then it would weigh 50 grams! the main downside is the size of my setup....

PugetSoundKiter
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Style: Wake TT, Strapless Surfboard, Landboard
Gear: Cabrinha, Ocean Rodeo, Slingshot, Naish, North, Pansh, Ozone, HQ, Peter Lynn

Postby PugetSoundKiter » Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:37 pm

dazarter wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:54 pm
im using the pulley because of the wear and smoothness -zero wear!
...the main downside is the size of my setup
I agree, still think the pulley on a rope may be the best slider setup. I'm still using a Ronstan RF41100, it's lightweight with a Breaking Load = 1000kg, it's back a few pages viewtopic.php?p=962422#p962422

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0
Local Beach: 50.7752° N, 0.9077° W
Style: None
Gear: This 'n that

Postby iriejohn » Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:57 pm

This is what I have used for two years with no issues and no rope wear. Could use a BRM type safety but I like it to be unambiguously out on one side. Never had a false release, never jammed, smooth as silk. The only change made since is to rotate the attachment ring through 90 degrees so that the QR attaches as originally designed.

Return to “Kitesurfing”