Saami wrote:Third, the Wainman Rabbit bars do indeed suck - but nowadays, there is really not much reason to buy the kite and the bar from the same company. Just get another four-line bar that you like and that is good (personally I like Airush bars but use whatever you prefer).
Bars are definitely a preference thing. Personally, I love the Wainman bar. I think almost everything about it is well thought out. I wrote a list, once. Here it is:
- Simple. No extra dangly stuff getting in the way.
- Above the bar depower so your throw doesn't shrink when you depower.
- Can reach the Y on the front lines for self landing. The front lines have loops in them you can pull on for that.
- Everything passing through the bar is protected by a plastic tube. Prevents wear and tear and reduces tangle opportunities.
- The quick release on the chickenloop. Initially I didn't like the fact that it didn't have a spring in it to keep it shut. However, I got used to that. Now I really appreciate it's simplicity. Very few moving parts - seems like you could fill it full of rubbish and it would still work. Also, no metal joints in there to seize up.
- It's a small thing, but the velcro on the depower strap to stop it flapping around and tangling is nice.
- The newer bar has a ceramic swivel. Nice, but not essential.
- The newer bar has a mini 5th that goes through the bar. Kind of ambivalent about that one. It is convenient, but I like knowing which front line I am attaching my safety to when I launch or land - I want the kite to flag to the direction I am launching or landing.
- Good options for attaching your safety. While you are on the water, it is easy to switch from having your leash clipped into a front line to suicide. It's also nice that there's options for suicide - you can clip in around the plastic tube for a two stage safety release or there's a ring on the chicken loop if you want a one stage release.
As far as I'm concerned, the only thing wrong with the Wainman bar is the short throw. But I've modded mine to solve that problem. I've moved on from flying Wainman kites, but I still use the bars.