Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Wakeskate Hydrofoil - Awesome riding!

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
bigtone667
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Local Beach: Birdie Beach, Budgewoi Beach, Lakes Beach
Favorite Beaches: Umina Beach, Birdies Beach, Lake Munmorah, Canton, The Swamp, Le Morne
Style: surf, foiling, jumping, lawn mowing
Gear: Kites: BRM Cloud D's, Duotone Rebels, Peaks
Wings: Cloud W1 2,3,4,5, Duotone DLAB Unit 4.5/5.5/6.5
Boards: Bit of everything
Foils: AXIS and Triton Foils
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Wakeskate Hydrofoil - Awesome riding!

Postby bigtone667 » Mon Apr 11, 2016 10:21 pm

plummet wrote:PS. It looks cool. From the outside looking in i see little point of a massive board on top of a hydrofoil.
In very light winds, there is some benefit in having a board with some good surface area just to get upright and moving. But once you get onto the foil, the size becomes a negative factor.

As I improve, I can see that I will able to transition from zero to coming straight up on the foil (making the board mostly redundant).

Frank Rosin
Very Frequent Poster
Style: wave & hydrofoil
Gear: Moses hydrofoils, Ozone kites, Dynabar sliding hook + a lot of other gear for fun and testing, e.g. Levitaz, Zeeko, AXIS, HB ....
Brand Affiliation: www.famousfrank.com
Has thanked: 0

Postby Frank Rosin » Mon Apr 11, 2016 11:01 pm

Starsky wrote: Have often wondered why I have not seen anyone simply bolt their foil to a standard TT. As long as you don't pick a noodle I can't imagine it would not work.

I took my about 13 years old custom 100x36cm twin-tip to use it with a foil.
It works, it floats, it is fun. But it is not an allround solution, it is not my everyday go to board.
I think proper foil board designs do make sense.

For example the Zeeko Mini Pocket board, while not being much longer, but quite a bit wider and thicker, is a way more allroundish foilboard than my experimental board.
This is less related to actual riding (foiling!), but more to ground (water) handling and touchdowns off course.
The volume makes it float better, the width give way better leverage to pull the board and foil on the side for the waterstart, etc.

Cheers,
Frank
http://www.famousfrank.com/hydrofoil
http://www.famousfrank.com/fotos

oldkiter
Frequent Poster

Postby oldkiter » Sun May 22, 2016 7:03 pm

I would appreciate any comments regarding attaching a LF foil setup to this older Slingshot Fuse 149 x 45 mutant TT.

Would it be OK to try for foiling? I'm 75KG (165lbs). Only open ocean.

Any approximations as to foil placement would be very helpful. I put on the deck pad for gybing and the straps would stay at least for learning.

The straps are offset to one end as can be seen.

It's wood core and so I would probably drill larger holes, fill with Epoxy (or ??) and re-drill for bolts.

Thanks
Attachments
20150703_110740[1].jpg
20150703_110701[1].jpg

Slappysan
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Gear: Wave Bandit Performer 4-10
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Slappysan » Sat May 28, 2016 1:32 am

I put my LF Foil on an old LF Twinskim I had kicking around but never rode. You can buy them for $100 if you look. You can drill them without fixing the holes and they are rigid.

I spray painted the outer edge dayglow orange to help me find the board in the water as with the low volume strapless setups they can be sneaky.
Attachments
IMG_1923.JPG

Horst Sergio
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: -
Brand Affiliation: kitejunkie.com

Account abandoned

Postby Horst Sergio » Fri Jun 03, 2016 10:55 pm

Viper1918 wrote:Hey guys,

There haven't been too many people that have posted up their DIY boards for foils, so I thought id share my project of mounting up an old Hyperlite wakeskate to my LF Foil. Got the idea from watching the French Horue guys and Greg from BRM and his minimilast board.

I started on the Foil Fish and could never really get comfortable on the board, ...
My words: the Foil Fish is just not a foil board that makes sense because of the lack of rocker. Just wonder a bit how Greg is happy with its board also looking small and with low rocker.

My experience with about 20 decks: you can be very short till around one meter if it has enough rocker. But for better allround I now use a Freerace with 135 cm

Before I was very happy with this cheap solution, until the glue inside the wood starts to delaminate. And during riding the board opens like a banana :(
Attachments
DSC_0472.JPG

juandesooka
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: Sooke, BC, Canada
Style: Canada's Kai Lenny (in my mind)
Gear: Ocean Rodeo wings&kites / GoFoil
Brand Affiliation: Open to offers

Postby juandesooka » Fri Jun 03, 2016 11:42 pm

Seems to me this thread could be detrimental ... to those who insist that casual foilers can really see $3000 worth of benefit for a carbon spacecraft under their feet.

Then again, maybe I am cynical ... I see videos of people riding cafeteria trays and oven doors and then I see $1000 twintips?

Keep up that DIY awesomeness! :jump: :thumb:

Return to “Hydrofoil”