Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

North Cabrinha other brands surfboard fin boxes ?

forum for kitesurfers

madworld
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Northern California.
Style: Cruising
Gear: Ocean rodeo Prodigy.
Brand Affiliation: Ocean Rodeo

North Cabrinha other brands surfboard fin boxes ?

Postby madworld » Sun Aug 07, 2016 4:16 pm

North had faux future boxes and then switched to a new system and now Cabrinha have switched from real future boxes to a new the fin box system, that appear to be the same kind as North. How are they in actual use with genuine Future Fins? :argue:

Naish has been off my shopping list because of there funky non standzrd fin boxs. :angryfire:

Slingshot at least uses the new FCS 2 system. :cool2:

Fone still has Future boxes. :thumb:

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Habo Ljung, Lomma
Gear: TW Surfboards 5-0
TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 135
Moses Fluente 548/550/590/330/325
North Mono 7, 9, 12
Ozone Reo 5
Ozone Hyperlink 9UL
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: North Cabrinha other brands surfboard fin boxes ?

Postby TomW » Sun Aug 07, 2016 9:32 pm

My guess is that they don't want to pay for the future boxes. Sure they get volume deal, but I wonder how much they pay for one. Retail price for small time builder like me is 5-6 £ from UK. Each. That means I'm spending 24 £ on boxes for one board!
And being in product design, I know they cost likely less than 1£ to manufacture.
Companies hunt for the smallest savings in manufacturing.

dylan*
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Gear:

Postby dylan* » Mon Aug 08, 2016 12:22 am

If that's the case, sounds like traditional "pass the cost on to the consumer", with the cost being that you can't use standard fins :(

Dan-at-Duotone
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0
Local Beach: The Gorge
Favorite Beaches: Crazy Beaches
Style: Kooky
Gear: yes
Brand Affiliation: Sales/Marketing/Service for Duotone/Ion in North America

Postby Dan-at-Duotone » Mon Aug 08, 2016 10:09 pm

For those who really care about this kind of thing...

There is a lot that goes into choosing a box. Cost definitely factors in, but there are production and performance benefits to balance as well. The cost of using branded boxes is significantly higher than other options and would lead to a significant price increase to the customer. You can bring the retail price back down by skimping in other places such as the layup or production method, but for each of those you're looking at other sacrifices to performance/durability (for example we could switch from a G10 fin to a cheaper, more flexible plastic fin to approx. balance the cost difference, but we feel that the performance benefit from stiffer, livelier fins more than outweighs any downside from different boxes). On top of that, for North in particular, there is a small lip on Futures branded boxes that is incompatible with the production method we use. We experimented with ways to work around this, but again you're talking about added costs to sand down a lip and clean inside the boxes.

For these (and probably other) reasons we have for years used a 'knock-off' Futures box. The problem we encountered with Futures boxes is that the single screw in front secures the fin really well but does nothing to control side-to-side wobble, so the fin/box tolerance needed to be very tight. When building our boards there is a lot of work done by hand, including the final layers of glass and epoxy. During this process it's pretty common to have small amounts of epoxy drip into the boxes even if they are taped off/covered. This results in hand sanding to the inside of the boxes, too little of which results in fins that don't fit, and too much of which results in wobbly fins and/or warranty issues if the boxes are sanded through allowing water into the board.
Last year we developed our own finbox which we call the North Multibox. It has two side-bite screws like FCS, but the angles/width of the box means they are only compatible with Futures fins (as far as I'm aware the angled base vs angled box and differing widths means that you cannot make a box that works for both systems) We have found most Futures fins and our own fins fit perfectly in these boxes and they work well with our production methods. Last year was the first year of using those Multiboxes and I don't think I saw any warranty issues and I never heard any complaints about the fins/boxes so I think we did a pretty good job with it.

As far as Cabrinha switching fin boxes I do not know their logic in doing so, but I do know that for 2016 they switched surfboard production to the factory we have been using for years, so this may have something to do with it.

-Dan

madworld
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Northern California.
Style: Cruising
Gear: Ocean rodeo Prodigy.
Brand Affiliation: Ocean Rodeo

Postby madworld » Tue Oct 25, 2016 3:50 am

The Ocean Rodeo Duke is very cool and has real Future boxes.

I like Cabrinha Surfboards too.

PS you will need to sand real future fins to fit in the Multi-box.

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Tue Oct 25, 2016 11:34 am

madworld wrote:The Ocean Rodeo Duke is very cool and has real Future boxes
Mine are now side-to-side sloppy so I need to shim them. Seems to common across other Future boxes on Cab and North boards at the club too. Just got a board with FCS2 should that'll be interesting. Love them so far :D

L0KI
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Gear: .

Postby L0KI » Wed Oct 26, 2016 2:01 am

Had FCS on two boards and hated them, have two boards with Futures and they are pretty good, I still like Mini Tuttle best.

Dutchrooster
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Local Beach: Brighton UK
Gear: North kites, Schinn Pro boards, F One Fish surfboard

Postby Dutchrooster » Thu Jun 07, 2018 6:11 am

Interesting to hear from North about costs and choices.

How can I get a North replacement fin box (Sydney)? I cracked mine and my shaper is stuck as he’s never seen this box before. The board is less than 6months old and I love it. Really don’t want to bin it.
Attachments
137946BB-08FF-4D06-B030-26C5ED00AA24.jpeg
BF7701BA-C8C5-4E81-871B-9AE20F1C9BFF.jpeg
DFB4FDB6-A051-4720-85B6-40D657F1D2F2.jpeg

mikelet
Frequent Poster

Postby mikelet » Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:54 pm

The multibox it 's a joke ....
Designed by brands to avoid gaps/tolerances on futures fins ( or one tab cheap fin copy ) with cheap copy boxes...
But the real thing is they made a kook proof fin system for not to hear non handy or newbie customers issues about the tolerances....
Funny that the multibox instead of grabbing all the base of the fins , it just relays in the 2 inside screws now,so only two pressure points in the inside,but oooohhhh !!!,magic!!, we avoid the tolerances.....not to talk that with Original Futures you have more work to do now if you want to fit in ( fill the holes of the base with putty or resin and then drill a little hole for the screws to be hard )....a pain in the ass to swap fins....
Ohhhh and FCS 's dual tabs leave voids everywhere in the box.....
ANY FIN SYSTEM OF THE MARKET , call it Future, Minituttle,FCS,......MULTIBOX incluided needs to go tight in the box ,screws are just to keep the fin there if you want some performance ( think of a surfing glassed fin ) , so shimming ,painting the base ...and many ways more to avoid tolerances it's a must....even more in kitesurfing ..
Owned my first and last board with multibox , not for me....

Return to “Kitesurfing”